Home

have any of you noticed this?

This is a discussion on have any of you noticed this? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2003, 10:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
have any of you noticed this?

its seems as if ea developed this game geared towards the mike vick mcnabb and culpepper type players they seem to have forgotten about the rich gannons and kurt warners of the league because that playmaker crap doesnt work too well if your qb isnt mobile and they seem to always end up getting sacked what are you guys opinions.....intelligent posts only!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2003, 11:09 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: have any of you noticed this?

Sure - with scrambling this would be the case.

But - I have been using the Playmaker hot route to the primary receiver over and over again - which is definitely something that helps all QBs equally.

In fact, I would argue that this alone gives you a way to decrease the number of INTs you throw. I wish that NCAA had this (especially the Playmaker short flat routes to the left and right that you can use whenever the dbacks are playing back on your primary receiver). I just had a great two minute drill with Kordell Stewart and the Bears using the Playmaker routes - and I never used Playmaker to run block (a la McNabb or Vick).
Old 08-22-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

How many times has Kurt Warner actually rolled out and directed his receivers. The same for Gannon.

St. Louis and Oakland's offenses are based on timing routes. Gannon is an effective runner when he needs to be, but Warner is not.

And it may be just that you are not used to using the Playmaker controls. It takes awhile to adjust to especially with the default controller configurations. I know for PS2, you basically have to lift your hand off of the controller to hit the right analog stick and then be quick enough to get your hand back down to throw to the appropriate receiver.

My advice--> just give it a little time and you don't have to use Playmaker if you don't want to. It's an option, just like putting backs and receivers in motion.

Old 08-22-2003, 09:16 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

blaze said:
its seems as if ea developed this game geared towards the mike vick mcnabb and culpepper type players they seem to have forgotten about the rich gannons and kurt warners of the league because that playmaker crap doesnt work too well if your qb isnt mobile and they seem to always end up getting sacked what are you guys opinions.....intelligent posts only!

Yea,QBs like Warner or Collins don't really need the playmaker. They drop back, make their reads, hit a man on his route o in the flats, throw it away, or take the sack. U just gotta control the pocket QBs the way they're supposed to controlled, stay in the pocket and make a quick read, throwing many short-to-medium passes. This is just as effective as scrambing until u find an open man, b/c when scramblingsometimes nothing is there, or u throw an INT or ur QB rushes too much and ur passing game never gets going.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:51 AM   #5
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

THe playmaker while scrambling was added to give scrambling quarterbacks the options they have IRL.

You are lookin at it as a scheme for everybody. It's not.

It was specifically added (in those circumstances you stated) for scrambling quarterbacks. There is a reason Vick is on the cover of this game.

does it give them an advantage? That's your opinion.

Vick might have more options IRL when he scrambles but he also has a greater chance of gettin hurt (read the news), gettin picked off, fumbling, and confusing his receivers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:

YankeePride_YP said:

Advantage? In my franchise and in alot of franchises that I've read on these boards, Vick has been injured. Sort of like trying to be a playmaker in Game 2 of the preseason scrambling up the middle from your own goaline.

If this were tennis, I would say, "Advantage Doug Johnson".
Old 08-24-2003, 09:31 AM   #7
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

Why didn't you quote the rest of what I said?

I already mentioned my opinion on the advantage.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:14 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:

YankeePride_YP said:
THe playmaker while scrambling was added to give scrambling quarterbacks the options they have IRL.

You are lookin at it as a scheme for everybody. It's not.

It was specifically added (in those circumstances you stated) for scrambling quarterbacks. There is a reason Vick is on the cover of this game.

Vick might have more options IRL when he scrambles but he also has a greater chance of gettin hurt (read the news), gettin picked off, fumbling, and confusing his receivers.

I agree with you 100%. The "Playmaker" is for those QBs who can use it. It is not a "blanket" feature for every type of QB. There is a reason why you don't see Farve, Gannon, etc.. tyring to do "Vick" like things out of the pocket...They beat you other ways. You try to be like Vick with one of them and you are going to pay, it's that simple...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »