Home

UPDATE: Madden Creator Suing Electronic Arts, EA Responds Claim Utterly Without Merit

This is a discussion on UPDATE: Madden Creator Suing Electronic Arts, EA Responds Claim Utterly Without Merit within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: UPDATE: Madden Creator Suing Electronic Arts, EA Responds Claim Utterly Without M

Someone is going to need some really good lawyers.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #26
MVP

TreFacTor's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: UPDATE: Madden Creator Suing Electronic Arts, EA Responds Claim Utterly Without M

i wonder how this goes in court, the guy as evidence pops in M11 and M89 and shows the scripts are the same or similar code... I hope he wins and in the process drops a bombshell on the gaming community... but the guy will most likely be paid up nicely and the case never sees the light of day.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #27
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
i wonder how this goes in court, the guy as evidence pops in M11 and M89 and shows the scripts are the same or similar code... I hope he wins and in the process drops a bombshell on the gaming community... but the guy will most likely be paid up nicely and the case never sees the light of day.
What bombshell is there to be dropped on the gaming community?

The way this goes is EA asks for it to be dismissed, and a judge considers how credible/possible it is for his claim to have any merit. If his only proof is some statements in an interview by EA's founder then this isn't going to go very far IMO.

He wouldn't have access to 'scripts' prior discovery for a trial most likely.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:43 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
i wonder how this goes in court, the guy as evidence pops in M11 and M89 and shows the scripts are the same or similar code...
Won't happen. As simple as this. It's technologically impossible. The original Madden was developed in 1988 on what? Apple II or MS-DOS? M11 was developed in 2010 on the XBox360. It's simply impossible for there to be any similarities in code between those games warranting such a lawsuit.

That said, I'm sure the lawsuit is actually a lot more complicated than this and I'm not a lawyer (and from europe, so my experience with american law is limited), so I'm just speaking about the code of the game.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #29
MVP

Gorilla Glass's Arena

OVR: 6

The Madden series was his idea and no one knows what agreement he and EA has. It will play out.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Glass
The Madden series was his idea and no one knows what agreement he and EA has. It will play out.
Actually, it was Trip Hawkins idea and he went to John Madden for his ideas. Madden told Hawkins if it isn't 11 vs 11, I don't want anything to do with it.

Hawkins worked for EA at the time.

As other posters have said, it will play out, but it won't reach court or if it does, a judge may dismiss it.

We'll see.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #31
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Only a matter of time before EA collapses in on itself.

Whether this guy has a case or not (statute of limitations, much?... his weak claim of original program architecture or whatever it is can easily be lied about on EA's part) I hope this brings some light to the shady practices of game companies and CEOs.

Bobby Kotick is a primary example of everything wrong with the gaming industry. While he is Activision's CEO (not EA's) I am convinced that game companies are getting ready to buckle under their own weight.

Last edited by Cre8; 04-03-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre8
Only a matter of time before EA collapses in on itself.

Whether this guy has a case or not (statute of limitations, much?... his weak claim of original program architecture or whatever it is can easily be lied about on EA's part) I hope this brings some light to the shady practices of game companies and CEOs.

Bobby Kotick is a primary example of everything wrong with the gaming industry. While he is Activision's CEO (not EA's) I am convinced that game companies are getting ready to buckle under their own weight.
What makes you say this?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »