Home

Old 08-22-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
Rookie

simpsman2244's Arena

OVR: 3
why do...

why do the players run much slower when running straight ahead than if the ran on an angle. it just annoys me. if my player is running down the sideline, they always get caught.

other than that, i think this game is much better than 2003. i really didnt like 2003 (to slow), but this years game is really fun. i might actually play this as much as ncaa2004
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2003, 05:07 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: why do...

I think it is more realistic that a DB will run down most RB's and WR's.....especially if they have a good angle....more realistic IMO
Old 08-22-2003, 06:11 PM   #3
Rookie

simpsman2244's Arena

yeah but players dont run faster when they're runnning on an angle. if you run staight ahead in the open field, you slow down to like the speed of an o-lineman
Old 08-22-2003, 06:28 PM   #4
Pro

FSU_Animal's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

simpsman2244 said:
why do the players run much slower when running straight ahead than if the ran on an angle. it just annoys me. if my player is running down the sideline, they always get caught.

other than that, i think this game is much better than 2003. i really didnt like 2003 (to slow), but this years game is really fun. i might actually play this as much as ncaa2004

It's called science and math.

Here's an example:

You are walking down the street in your neiborhood. You are coming up to a four-way street corner. You see the ice cream truck. You have $.50 to spend on that one ice cream cone you love so much . You know the truck usually makes a left (you're on the left hand side of the street by the way), and stops right in front of the fat kids house. This fat kid always buys the last of your favorite ice cream cone . So you think of a plan quickly. Would it be fast to keep going straight on the sidewalk and turn left down the street; or would it be faster to cut straight across the grumpy old man's yard you so happen to be in front of?

Hence the term SHORTCUT

Does that make better sense to you?

It's common sense to take an angle when chasing a player down. It's a alot shorter distance than you think.

In fact, here's a football example:

Two different style of football players. You have Ron "Can't Fall A Yard" Dayne and a Michael "Look At That Blur" Bennett. In football, coach's always tell people to run forward, not sideways or backwards. However, with the speed of Michael Bennett, you can run straight towards the sideline with no angle faster than Ron Dayne and still have the edge over alot of defenders. However, Ron Dayne must approach the game differently. Typically, he is good for a short yardage gain. Most teams realize this. If he was to take the same approach like Bennett, he would lose 5 yards every time he tried to carry the ball. So he improvises. In order to gain yards, you must go straigt. He sees the defensive line is squeezed tight. So he changes his path of the HB Dive. He decides that if he wants to gain yards, he will have to change his angle. He basically does a HB Off-Tackle. Therefore, he has a chance of getting that crucial first down. So if Dayne is able to do this just to gain one measly yard, you can bet that Michael Bennett will have greater success at doing this.

Hope this clears up the confusion of why you see defenders that take angles chasing down a fast runningback or receiver. That is also why you see offensive linemen chasing down corners or linebackers. They took the shortest path possible to get to the defender.

Now, I know most people will say that the offensive lineman always chases the down while running straigt behind them. That is to be expected. When something always seems to have the advantage over you, it is natural for a human being that doesn't want to accept their loss to blame it on something that they had no control over, and sometimes even change it so people never know the real truth.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:

FSU_Animal said:
Quote:

simpsman2244 said:

Here's an example:

You are walking down the street in your neiborhood. You are coming up to a four-way street corner. You see the ice cream truck. You have $.50 to spend on that one ice cream cone you love so much . You know the truck usually makes a left (you're on the left hand side of the street by the way), and stops right in front of the fat kids house. This fat kid always buys the last of your favorite ice cream cone . So you think of a plan quickly. Would it be fast to keep going straight on the sidewalk and turn left down the street; or would it be faster to cut straight across the grumpy old man's yard you so happen to be in front of?

Hence the term SHORTCUT

It's common sense to take an angle when chasing a player down. It's a alot shorter distance than you think.

Two different style of football players. You have Ron "Can't Fall A Yard" Dayne and a Michael "Look At That Blur" Bennett. In football, coach's always tell people to run forward, not sideways or backwards. However, with the speed of Michael Bennett, you can run straight towards the sideline with no angle faster than Ron Dayne and still have the edge over alot of defenders. However, Ron Dayne must approach the game differently. Typically, he is good for a short yardage gain. Most teams realize this. If he was to take the same approach like Bennett, he would lose 5 yards every time he tried to carry the ball. So he improvises. In order to gain yards, you must go straigt. He sees the defensive line is squeezed tight. So he changes his path of the HB Dive. He decides that if he wants to gain yards, he will have to change his angle. He basically does a HB Off-Tackle. Therefore, he has a chance of getting that crucial first down. So if Dayne is able to do this just to gain one measly yard, you can bet that Michael Bennett will have greater success at doing this.

Hope this clears up the confusion of why you see defenders that take angles chasing down a fast runningback or receiver. That is also why you see offensive linemen chasing down corners or linebackers. They took the shortest path possible to get to the defender.

Now, I know most people will say that the offensive lineman always chases the down while running straigt behind them. That is to be expected. When something always seems to have the advantage over you, it is natural for a human being that doesn't want to accept their loss to blame it on something that they had no control over, and sometimes even change it so people never know the real truth.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2003, 08:18 PM   #6
Rookie

simpsman2244's Arena

i understand that defenders take angles to tackle people, but in the game, if you had a person run in a straight line and a person run at a slight angle(very slight), the person running at the angle would probably run 20 yards for every 10 yards that the person running in the straight line would have.

just try it in practice. run in a straight line with a player, then run at a slight angle with the player, he runs about twice as fast
Old 08-22-2003, 10:14 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

FSU_Animal said:
Quote:

simpsman2244 said:

Here's an example:

Hence the term SHORTCUT

Actually, if you run in a straight line, you run to a point faster than at an angle. There is no reason for an OL to chase down a WR just because he's at an angle. If you want to get technical, have you ever heard of the Pythagorean Theorum? By that, it is impossible for the hypotenuse (the slanted side, or angled direction) of the triangle to be shorter than the straight sides...

Haven't you ever heard the saying, "The shortest distance between two points is a straight line?"
Old 08-22-2003, 11:08 PM   #8
Rookie

hey fsufan did you even read the guys post before you took the 5 minutes out of your life to type up your novel-sized attempt to belittle someone??

P.S. 30 seconds for belittling is a.o.k.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »