Home

EA needs to hire a "ghost team" for Madden development

This is a discussion on EA needs to hire a "ghost team" for Madden development within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: EA needs to hire a "ghost team" for Madden development

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
The GIGGAS nailed it, but I feel like adding my $0.02 here.

With regard to this argument, whether or not a game has an NFL license does not matter whatsoever.

Games without the NFL License doesn't sell well?(2k8,BB)

Like I said you got the Football market covered you just need to put out a roster update and add a few new features, add something from last gen and your good.(Sounds like they do that already.)

Last edited by lofeazy; 04-04-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #34
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
Are there other video football games I am missing?How's that faulty assumption?(Who else buy video football games? Madden sold 4+million copys.)You telling me somebody who doesn't like football will buy a video football game just for no reason?
There are, at last count, 798 video games for the XBOX 360 and 644 video games on the PlayStation 3. The consumer has choices and is not limited to buying only a football game. That's where your logic is flawed.

With regard to your second question, I have yet to meet a person who plays only football video games exclusively. I doubt such a person exists even here at Operation Sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
Games without the NFL License doesn't sell well?(2k8,BB)
Sure they do, Call of Duty: Black Ops did just fine and it has no trace of the NFL in it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
There are, at last count, 798 video games for the XBOX 360 and 644 video games on the PlayStation 3. The consumer has choices and is not limited to buying only a football game. That's where your logic is flawed.

With regard to your second question, I have yet to meet a person who plays only football video games exclusively. I doubt such a person exists even here at Operation Sports.

Sure they do, Call of Duty: Black Ops did just fine and it has no trace of the NFL in it.
OK out of the 789 games how many are football?And Call of Duty did great its a better product.But not a football game Thats what where talking about.
Like roadman said the suits are not going to have a ghost team.

Last edited by lofeazy; 04-04-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #36
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

There's several people who buy madden despite it's flaws because they REALLY want a football game, specifically an NFL game. Not saying it makes sense to do this but there's no denying people do. I'm sure EA is aware of this and it influences how they make and market the game. Also influenced the original decision to get the exclusive liscense.

Other games do act as competition but it's not nearly as direct as another licensed football game would be. The end result is less pressure to improve.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
There's several people who buy madden despite it's flaws because they REALLY want a football game, specifically an NFL game. Not saying it makes sense to do this but there's no denying people do. I'm sure EA is aware of this and it influences how they make and market the game. Also influenced the original decision to get the exclusive liscense.

Other games do act as competition but it's not nearly as direct as another licensed football game would be. The end result is less pressure to improve.
Thank you for saying that.I couldn't express what you said to save my life.

Last edited by lofeazy; 04-04-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #38
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop

You have a point that a more direct competitor probably likely would result in more aggressive efforts by EA to promote and/or improve the game. Certainly the exclusivity licence was a short-term cost paid in lieu of paying out long-term costs to various ends as the result of more direct competition.

That said, the point stands that the pressure for EA to improve still exists even in absence of a direct competitor. People will only buy on blind faith for so long and EA still has customer demands to meet. The bottom line is the assertion that the programmers, producers, etc. at EA Tiburon can just sit back, relax, drink martinis, or whatever while Madden endlessly prints money without any improvements or additional features is completely false.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
So Black Ops would sell better with NFL players ? NBA 2k11 sold great without a trace of the NFL also; Maybe 2k should come out with a football game with NBA players in it ? That way we can have our licensed 2k football game ?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #40
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
You have a point that a more direct competitor probably likely would result in more aggressive efforts by EA to promote and/or improve the game. Certainly the exclusivity licence was a short-term cost paid in lieu of paying out long-term costs to various ends as the result of more direct competition.

That said, the point stands that the pressure for EA to improve still exists even in absence of a direct competitor. People will only buy on blind faith for so long and EA still has customer demands to meet. The bottom line is the assertion that the programmers, producers, etc. at EA Tiburon can just sit back, relax, drink martinis, or whatever while Madden endlessly prints money without any improvements or additional features is completely false.
Yeah I agree it is false. We know this isn't true because they've basically been doing this for a few years now and:

Spoiler

Even so, since there's no direct competition EA might focus on doing things to appeal to more gamers (the guys buying FPS/RPGs/whatever. Whereas with more football games that same focus might be on...making a better football game.

Example: Look at the back cover of the last Madden, everythings about simplifying the game and making it more accessible.

Spoiler
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »