Home

Madden NFL 12 To Include Concussions to Present a Safety Message

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 To Include Concussions to Present a Safety Message within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 18
Madden NFL 12 To Include Concussions to Present a Safety Message

According to Kotaku, Madden NFL 12 will include concussions to present a safety message.

Quote:
"Remarkably, Madden NFL 12 will depict players suffering concussions, according to the president of the NFL Players' Association, but apparently in a manner that reinforces the seriousness of the injury and the message that playing through one is not a good idea.

In a tweet first reported on by Gamasutra, George Atallah, a senior official with the NFLPA, praised EA Sports for the injury's inclusion. "Good for EA Sports. Concussed players in NFL Madden prevented from returning to play," Atallah wrote. "Culture change is important."

Evidently that means players will be shown being taken from the field, unable to return. Past versions of Madden have included a coaching decision to re-insert players who have suffered certain injuries that the game considers playable. Concussions won't be one, reinforcing the message, especially to younger players, that it is a serious injury and not a time to be a hero playing through it."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / Wii
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Concussions in Madden 12 (Kotaku)

I like it. The message and the fact that it is in the game.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Unit40
I like it. The message and the fact that it is in the game.
I agree. Its in the NFL in real life and should be in the game.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

I do hope it doesn't happen way too frequently or on random plays (like stepping out of bounds)
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Rookie

BlackJack_Williams's Arena

OVR: 7

So will these hits be reenacted correctly? No concussions from wrap tackles right? This sounds like good news and it's great how seriously they're treating the matter. I hope they bring the fear you feel when you see a player hit like that. I remember when D Jackson was hit like that.... *shivers*
Playing right now: Rocket League
Games Looking forward to: Moving to PS4 lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Implemented correctly, I like this idea lot. I'd really like it if this were in conjunction with a new tackling mechanic that would give the user more control over the types of tackles applied, and, maybe, tie the risk of concussion to things like hit sticking while in a bad position.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 16

Maybe this implies a new tackling system! I know a pretty big assumption, but what's wrong with being optimistic?
Old 03-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
Implemented correctly, I like this idea lot. I'd really like it if this were in conjunction with a new tackling mechanic that would give the user more control over the types of tackles applied, and, maybe, tie the risk of concussion to things like hit sticking while in a bad position.
Maybe next year... I think the initial implementation will simply adding concussions to the general injury list without the option to put the player back in the game similar to "Broken Collarbone," "Torn MCL," or "Dislocated Ankle." With another year, it's likely the injury may be tied to the way players make contact.

Also, regarding wrap tackles: There is still risk of concussion injury. Especially in situations where the tackler hits a player square in the chest and wraps his arms so the ball carrier cannot break his fall. The back of the head is subject to hit the ground with the whip action that causes many concussions on tackles that don't seem to be hard hits.

Overall - I'm glad its in. Madden is an instructive game that exposes many young people to football. Teach them right, right now.

Later

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »