Home

Career ending injury?

This is a discussion on Career ending injury? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Career ending injury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysouljah
Testaverde was the best FA QB that year and I figured it made some sense for him to play in New York. He was pretty old though. He sure was better than "The Bachelor" Jesse Palmer or "Husband of Elizabeth" Tim Hasselbeck or "J-Load" Jared Lorenzon or whoever it was who was Eli's backups that year.
No one is better than Battleship Lorenzen. Especially Testaverde.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #26
Banned

BestServedCold's Arena

OVR: 1

I was a few good years into my franchise with the Buffalo Bills and after a few disappointing seasons I gave up on Trent Edwards and decided to trade for the first pick of the draft. I don't remember the exact details, but I remember my disgruntlement with the price tag. Anyways, I had a draft class imported with this beast of a QB in it. His name was Dante Freeze I believe. He was 6'5" and fast. His arm was a cannon, his accuracy, impeccable. He was the best prospect I had ever seen.

Anyways, I drafted Freeze and immediately put him as my starter. Although he didn't have much of a supporting cast he ripped through defenses improving our record to 11-5 somehow managing to propel us into the playoffs. He won rookie of the year easily with 4000+ yards and 35+ Tds. I knew he would start for my team for a long time.

Dante helped us get through some tough playoff games and soon we were in the Superbowl against the Colts I believe. It was a close game, a back and forth battle between Manning and Freeze. We were down by a touchdown in the fourth quarter with two minutes or so left. But I wasn't worried, with Freeze at the helm I was fairly certain I could tie it up. I started driving the ball down the field passing to the sidelines to conserve time.

Finally, I was in the red zone and looking to get the ball to one of my wide receivers (probably Lee Evans) in the corner of the end zone when the pocket collapsed on me, so I quickly scrambled out of the pocket to buy time and, seeing no one open, took off towards the pylon confident in Dante's exceptional ball carrying abilities that had saved me so often during the regular season. I dodged one tackler and could see victory with one defender between myself and 6 points. I tried outrunning him to the outside as he was a linemen (Dwight Freeney I believe), but he stuck with me. I was then presented with two options as I saw it: run out of bounds and try again on fourth down with a fullback run inside or try to go through Freeney... Fatefully and with a hubristic confidence in Freeze I chose to try and overpower the Colt. My mistake was evident as my franchise QB the man who I gave away so much to obtain and the hope of all Bills fans was pummeled violently into the ground... one yard short of the touchdown. His discarded body writhed in pain.

The medical staff rushed out onto the field and dread filled my heart. Frantically, I rushed to the medical report and discovered to my horror then the hero of ever fan in Buffalo had ruptured a disk in his throwing shoulder. With abject horror I read the medical staffs verdict, "Career Ending". Gone, gone went my hopes at a dynasty led by my young quarterback.

And with that I tried futilely to win the game with my backup quarterback. I watched with sadness as the Colts intercepted his first pass and let the clock run out. With Dante out, I was back to being the bad news Bills, forever fighting to maintain optimistic mediocrity.

EDIT: Oh and inb4 tl;dr.

Last edited by BestServedCold; 04-23-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

dang thats sad mang

I saw Sam Bradford go down with a broken vertebrae (CPU controlled team) in my franchise 3 years ago and they never recovered...it did make me go out and draft a capable backup Stafford though, just in case...
Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #28
RKO!!

PantherBeast_OS's Arena

OVR: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by maademperor
never lost one of mine, I did wish a tackle i was WAAAYYYY over paying would get a career ender just to get out of contract though

its funny cause my qb gets hit almost every single play and almost never is injured.
This is one of the reasons why they need to tune the injury system alot better. Because is play stupid how a QB can get hit 40 times a game and never come up hurt. They do need to tune it where the odds of a QB getting hurt is a little better then it is right now. Overall the injury system just needs a lot work to it. Hopefully it got some attention while they are working on franchise mode this year.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #29
Rookie

adamgod8's Arena

OVR: 7

I started a franchise with Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers went down week 2 with a fractured vertebrae- Out for Career...the draft is my favorite part of Madden so I didn't restart I jsut scouted QB's
Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestServedCold
I was a few good years into my franchise with the Buffalo Bills and after a few disappointing seasons I gave up on Trent Edwards and decided to trade for the first pick of the draft. I don't remember the exact details, but I remember my disgruntlement with the price tag. Anyways, I had a draft class imported with this beast of a QB in it. His name was Dante Freeze I believe. He was 6'5" and fast. His arm was a cannon, his accuracy, impeccable. He was the best prospect I had ever seen.

Anyways, I drafted Freeze and immediately put him as my starter. Although he didn't have much of a supporting cast he ripped through defenses improving our record to 11-5 somehow managing to propel us into the playoffs. He won rookie of the year easily with 4000+ yards and 35+ Tds. I knew he would start for my team for a long time.

Dante helped us get through some tough playoff games and soon we were in the Superbowl against the Colts I believe. It was a close game, a back and forth battle between Manning and Freeze. We were down by a touchdown in the fourth quarter with two minutes or so left. But I wasn't worried, with Freeze at the helm I was fairly certain I could tie it up. I started driving the ball down the field passing to the sidelines to conserve time.

Finally, I was in the red zone and looking to get the ball to one of my wide receivers (probably Lee Evans) in the corner of the end zone when the pocket collapsed on me, so I quickly scrambled out of the pocket to buy time and, seeing no one open, took off towards the pylon confident in Dante's exceptional ball carrying abilities that had saved me so often during the regular season. I dodged one tackler and could see victory with one defender between myself and 6 points. I tried outrunning him to the outside as he was a linemen (Dwight Freeney I believe), but he stuck with me. I was then presented with two options as I saw it: run out of bounds and try again on fourth down with a fullback run inside or try to go through Freeney... Fatefully and with a hubristic confidence in Freeze I chose to try and overpower the Colt. My mistake was evident as my franchise QB the man who I gave away so much to obtain and the hope of all Bills fans was pummeled violently into the ground... one yard short of the touchdown. His discarded body writhed in pain.

The medical staff rushed out onto the field and dread filled my heart. Frantically, I rushed to the medical report and discovered to my horror then the hero of ever fan in Buffalo had ruptured a disk in his throwing shoulder. With abject horror I read the medical staffs verdict, "Career Ending". Gone, gone went my hopes at a dynasty led by my young quarterback.

And with that I tried futilely to win the game with my backup quarterback. I watched with sadness as the Colts intercepted his first pass and let the clock run out. With Dante out, I was back to being the bad news Bills, forever fighting to maintain optimistic mediocrity.

EDIT: Oh and inb4 tl;dr.
Both the Bills and Colts are in the AFC so they couldnt play each other in the Super Bowl lol.. but that really does suck, but it made for a nice story right?

I just saw Santonio Holmes go down with a Career injury in my Bills Franchise.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #31
MVP

Blitz1942's Arena

OVR: 20

Most recent I had happen to me was two years into a Packers chise in Madden 10. I had drafted a center who I planned to sit behind Scott Wells for a couple years to develope.

Week 4 of preseason: BAM! Wells recieves a severe concussion and his career is over. So the rookie starts in his place and during a week three game against the Lions, he goes down with an injury and is out for the season.

Only had a couple other career enders happen to me, two fun ones in Madden 09, in the same Seahawks chise. Also was running a Texas Longhorns dynasty in NCAA 09 and imported the draft classes over to the chise. Year 6, I sign Brian Westbrook through free agency to use as a third down back (he was a little too old to use as the workhorse back, so I figured I'd grab him and use him on passing downs and such). My Longhorns sent a beast of a running back up into the draft that offseason as well, and knowing him well from NCAA made me desire him greatly. He ends up predicted for the top 10, and I trade up to pick 8 and grab him. 87 ovr, 90 break tackle, 80 carrying. I make him the starter over Westbrook (who was an 89 ovr at the time) and headed into the season. Go through the preseason, and the rookie beasts over everyone. Ran for ~350 yards in the preseason, not bad for playing two quarters each game. Start off the season, week one against the Cardinals. The rookie destroys them for ~150 yards, 2 TDs. Week 2, vs the Ravens, he goes off again: ~175 yards, 3 TDs. Week 3 against Pittsburgh... Steelers had drafted my star MLB from Texas in the middle of the 1st round. Naturally, the matchup was too interesting to pass up. First play for me on offense, and I run right up the gut. The rookie RB shrugs off James Farrior, a great feat in itself, and the rookie MLB lines up for a hit. The two future superstars collide. The RB goes down. The "player going to the bench" comes up, my RB. Westbrook comes in. A few plays later, the reports come in. My RB sustained a broken vertabrae and his career is over, after only two games, and one play.

A few years after that, I drafted a QB at the end of the first round that was very similar to Jake Locker. I plan on benching him for his first season, but that goes out the window when my starter (had picked up a solid guy outta free agency a few years prior to replace Hasselbeck) went down for the season. The Locker-like QB got to start for the rest of the season and performed great. Next season he starts, and I trade away the other guy for draft picks. Fourth season in the league, the Locker-like QB goes down after a hit by (suprise!) the same MLB that took down my RB. The MLB came on a blitz right up the middle, snuck by my O-Line and destroyed the QB. QB's career ended with a broken vertabrae.

Needless to say, I was pissed that one of the players I had developed so well in NCAA had taken out two players that would've been stars for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #32
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

Haha yeah, I've even got mine on tape. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wBhrxzUtFU#t=07m35s

Poor decision to throw to Deion Branch over the middle with a lurking LB Stephen Cooper playing zone, results in bye-bye Deion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »