Home

Is Peter Moore responsible for the lack of Offline innovation?

This is a discussion on Is Peter Moore responsible for the lack of Offline innovation? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Is Peter Moore responsible for the lack of Offline innovation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Now this guy is trying to redefine sports gaming - not from a sports experience standpoint, but from an improving the bottom line experience. Regarding improvement in Madden under his rule, I'd ask how much has it improved? Improvement should be a given for any game; it's rare sports games are worse than what preceeded them. We can say NHL, FIFA, Tiger Woods golf, and Fight Night have been good titles. Madden's been a disappointment, and I'd say NCAA has too for the most part. Elite/Live was a spectacular flameout - not sure if it was Moore's decision to stick a hockey guy in charge of production (going off what I read). If not for EA buying up exclusives to give them every conceivable advantage, I'd say his tenure as head of EA Sports has been a wash.

I understand the desire to rationalize the situation in how it's "good for [THEIR business]", but don't understand why people don't look at the situation from what's in their best personal interests. To all those that watch Bill Maher on HBO, his Charlie Sheen/General Electric analogy fits perfectly
The amount of improvment is highly subjective, which is why I didn't dive further. Some of us here at OS are enjoying Madden and/or NCAA this year, and some of us aren't. Just the way that it goes. But for me personally, the game has gone from unplayable in M08 to enjoyable in M11.

Here's the thing about Moore: when he came on board, sports gamers panicked (myself included) b/c he threw out some lingo about wanting to make the games more simple, accessible, and casual. And 3 years later, it hasn't been that bad. If we step outside of the football world, all of the games have a marked improvment aside from their NBA franchise. And regardless of taste, it's tough to argue that Madden hasn't gotten more sim since M08 (clearly an arcade game).

Edit: Moore pledged an increase in quality in their games after he took over. And again, aside from the NBA Elite failure, that's what EA has delivered.

I don't know about the outlook, but looking back on how I felt in early 2008 about the Moore hiring, it hasn't been that bad. It's actually yielded some good for me.

As far as interests go, while my personal interests are a priority, I've found it to be more useful in life to also try to see things from the other side of the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
My 90% example was primarily based on some polling that I saw last year that stated that 80-90% of Maddenites thought that Madden was going in the wrong direction, and that they preferred the last gen titles depth and gameplay. I know that it wasn't a poll taken by all of the Madden players (and I don't have a link), so I will attempt to use more scientific stats in the future (thanks for the criticism).
LOL, not necessary -- was just some good pointed discussion.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM   #18
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Seems to me the only EA game that has gotten a a lot better since Moore's arrival is FIFA. Coincidence?

Madden 11 is the first Madden I didn't purchase at all let alone day 1. NBA Elite was shelved, NHL has suffered from looney roster support and was "ruined" by updates. NCAA 11 was a really good game, but could've used another tuner. The patch broke scrambling QBs.

Moore is a Brit and FIFA seems to be th game that has been strengthened under his tenure.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Old 04-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
All Star

OVR: 33

ncaa 12 is looking sick. Fifa is also sick.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #20
Pro

brza37's Arena

OVR: 18

I understand your point rgiles and the 90% may not be reflective of the entire Madden gaming population but there must be a large percentage of people that do feel the way that Reejer described. How else can one explain why Madden has stagnated and then decreased in sales over the past 3 years while the NFL has grown in popularity AND other sports game franchises that have catered to sim gamers have had big increases in sales over the same time period?

(Sales for PS3, XBox, PS2, Wii according to vgchartz)
Madden 09 - 6,56 million
Madden 10 - 6,65 million
Madden 11 - 5,35 million

And another point of yours about customizing the game to fit our needs, I agree with that because as you said there is no one definition of what a "sim" gamer wants. But I don't think we're close to the point feature-wise that would allow us to do that. We still are lacking a lot of tools to be able to customize the game effectively. And to me the state of franchise since next gen is just not acceptable. Until franchise is the way it was back in 05 I won't be happy with Madden. And I'm hoping that sooner rather than later we will have a franchise with the depth of Head Coach 09 and NFL 2k5 combined.

Oh and just wanted to add that I do think M10 was an enjoyable game. Thanks to a couple good online leagues. I didn't bother to buy M11 though after hearing that franchise didn't get any improvements. I have borrowed the game and played enough offline against friends to make an informed judgement though.

Commissioner of Sim Madden League Europe. Established league for sim players in Europe. Join here:
SML - Europe PS4 Madden Online Franchise

Last edited by brza37; 04-15-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #21
Go Irish

Rules's Arena

OVR: 17

I think Peter Moore is destroying EA! Since his arrival he has taken the franchise into an arcade direction. This whole......"make it more accessible" is just another meaning....."dumb the game down."

If EA doesn't unload this clown soon he is going to bring them to their knees. EA Sports "It's in the Game" will soon be EA Sports "It's our only Game."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #22
Rookie

Reejer's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
We still are lacking a lot of tools to be able to customize the game effectively. And to me the state of franchise since next gen is just not acceptable. Until franchise is the way it was back in 05 I won't be happy with Madden. And I'm hoping that sooner rather than later we will have a franchise with the depth of Head Coach 09 and NFL 2k5 combined.
AMEN!
Madden 05' (PS2) gameplay and storylines + 2K5 presentation + Madden 12' graphics + Head Coach 09' depth + Madden 06' (PS2) Superstar mode + expanded rosters (with cutdown dates) and a Practice Squad + a proper progression/regression system - Potential rating (or at least make it editable or re-evaluated by the coaching staff quarterly) = a great Madden 12' and beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
EA Sports "It's in the Game" will soon be EA Sports "It's our only Game."
Actually in the article it says that the motto has already changed:
"EA’s motto has become “we unite the world through play,” and its strategy is to “build the world’s best digital playground with fun for everyone, anytime, anywhere.” "

Last edited by Reejer; 04-15-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #23
Titans Era has begun.

HealyMonster's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reejer
Actually in the article it says that the motto has already changed:
"EA’s motto has become “we unite the world through play,” and its strategy is to “build the world’s best digital playground with fun for everyone, anytime, anywhere.” "
I really dont have a problem, if this is what they want to do with their game. My problem is that they are trying to take charge in the future of online gaming, but they havent figured out current online gaming. Games still struggle with online content and lag and typical online stuff. I dont feel like we are ready for the "completely online digital gaming world". Heck, I dont even think we are in the right decade for that. Most of us have only had broadband for like 7-8 years, I got xbox live like 8-9 years ago.

They need to figure out how to make online franchise work properly before they try to take over online gaming in general.

It almost seems like these guys are going to try and do a console or something doesn't it? I mean when he talks, it doesnt even sound like he takes into consideration current capabilities,etc
Old 04-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
"The ultimate nirvana will be when the $60 price melts away and consumers start paying a continuous subscription fee for games that are regularly updated online."

I guess we have different definitions of nirvana.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »