Home

Comeback AI is the worst thing in video games

This is a discussion on Comeback AI is the worst thing in video games within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2003, 03:28 PM   #57
MVP

bgeno's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Comeback AI is the worst thing in video games

On calling the right plays...

So you're saying if I call the right play, my running back wont fumble the ball twice on 3 carries? And that my linemen will try to block the guy that's just been running right by him as he spins to the side? And are you also saying that my defenders wont miss 5 simple tackles in a row on a wide reciever? I don't think so. Why shouldn't my gameplan that has worked all day work in the second half while I'm leading? And don't say that the computer will figure out what I've been doing, its not even smart enough to stop me from running the same type of passing play every down on offense(Out routes). Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-27-2003, 03:29 PM   #58
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Respondendo a:

gambler said:
2. Madden 2003 (PC Edition): In GM mode with quarter lengths that gave the correct number of plays, almost every game was 38-35 or somewhere in that range. The game could look realistic through three quarters at 14-10 or something, and then the teams would go on scoring binges where the team that was behind broke long gains consistently and the score flipflopped the whole way.

Nice Post. You pointed out something that bugged me even more than the highly publisized comeback AI: The 4th quarter scoring binges. It took me forever to tweak sliders to my skill level. I would have a great, realistic 17-10 game going into the 4th quarter and boom, up and down the field to a 45-31 final. I am sure that the NFL has seen a few games go like that over the past 3 decades, so there is no need for anyone to site some examples, but in my Madden 2003 experience it could be expected on a regular basis.
Old 08-27-2003, 04:17 PM   #59
Pro

Catman24's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

Cardot said:
Quote:

gambler said:
2. Madden 2003 (PC Edition): In GM mode with quarter lengths that gave the correct number of plays, almost every game was 38-35 or somewhere in that range. The game could look realistic through three quarters at 14-10 or something, and then the teams would go on scoring binges where the team that was behind broke long gains consistently and the score flipflopped the whole way.

Nice Post. You pointed out something that bugged me even more than the highly publisized comeback AI: The 4th quarter scoring binges. It took me forever to tweak sliders to my skill level. I would have a great, realistic 17-10 game going into the 4th quarter and boom, up and down the field to a 45-31 final. I am sure that the NFL has seen a few games go like that over the past 3 decades, so there is no need for anyone to site some examples, but in my Madden 2003 experience it could be expected on a regular basis.

Yeah. Great Post. Whatever. If I've said it one time I've said it a thousand times. LEARN YOUR CONTROLLER. It can be your best friend. Stop crying.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:36 PM   #60
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'll respectfully point out again, that I don't use a controller. This is in GM CPU versus CPU mode and based on well over 200 watched games between NCAA and Madden 2003. Since no controller is involved it's obvious that the excessive 4th quarter scoring, comeback mode, and end of half auto-score exists because of code or the CPU going highly aggressive (and defenses just not able to stop it). Just because someone is better than someone else in squelching said issues when they have a controller in their hand doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #61
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:

Catman24 said:
Quote:

Cardot said:
Quote:

gambler said:

Yeah. Great Post. Whatever. If I've said it one time I've said it a thousand times. LEARN YOUR CONTROLLER. It can be your best friend. Stop crying.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. We(including the CPU) all just stink, I guess...

Denial

Main Entry: de·ni·al
Pronunciation: di-'nI(-&)l, dE-
Function: noun
1 : refusal to satisfy a request or desire
2 a (1) : refusal to admit the truth or reality (as of a statement or charge) (2) : assertion that an allegation is false b : refusal to acknowledge a person or a thing : DISAVOWAL
3 : negation in logic
6 : a psychological defense mechanism in which confrontation with a personal problem or with reality is avoided by denying the existence of the problem or reality

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2003, 07:37 PM   #62
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Just finished a game where I was up 31-7 going into the 4th Quarter.

-I fumbled, they scored.
-They recovered an onside kick and scored.
-On the next onside kick, they recovered again and scored.

Final score, (me) 38 - (cpu) 28.

I've been watching football for over 20 years and to this day, I have NEVER, EVER seen 2 back-to-back onside kicks returned by one team.

Let me guess, it's just me right? I called the wrong plays right?

Antwoine (sp) Smith of the NE Patriots (who we all can honestly say is not the quickest back in the NFL) had touchdown runs of 78 yards and 70 yards.

Realistic...? You tell me.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:39 PM   #63
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:

bigeastbumrush said:
-I fumbled, they scored.

Let me correct that, they didn't return the onside kicks for touchdowns. They recovered back-to-back onside kicks and scored on their possessions on offense.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:23 PM   #64
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:

bigeastbumrush said:
Just finished a game where I was up 31-7 going into the 4th Quarter.

-I fumbled, they scored.

Final score, (me) 38 - (cpu) 28.

I've been watching football for over 20 years and to this day, I have NEVER, EVER seen 2 back-to-back onside kicks returned by one team.

Let me guess, it's just me right? I called the wrong plays right?

Antwoine (sp) Smith of the NE Patriots (who we all can honestly say is not the quickest back in the NFL) had touchdown runs of 78 yards and 70 yards.

Realistic...? You tell me.

You just can't play!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »