Home

How do you stop HB Angle/flat routes?

This is a discussion on How do you stop HB Angle/flat routes? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Banned

Daniels2386's Arena

OVR: 2
How do you stop HB Angle/flat routes?

This is takin over online (2v2 3v3) play because of its level of difficulty to stop it. Most of the time happens out shotgun 2 back set. Ive ran 3-4, 46, qtrs, 1-5-5, 2-4-5, dime, 3-3-5 well you get the picture. Out of those mentioned sets Ive ran man, cover 2, cover 3, DE contain on both ends, subbed in LB's for DE's for agility and speed and NOTHING seems to stop it. Anyone have any input and similar things happen?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: How do you stop HB Angle/flat routes?

I have been running a lot of velcro 9. You just have to watch them taking off with the QB
Old 04-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Go Titans..

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptOhio
I have been running a lot of velcro 9. You just have to watch them taking off with the QB
I agree, Velcro 9 is about the only play I've found to have a fighting chance at stopping players like this.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

user guard it
Old 04-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
Banned

Daniels2386's Arena

OVR: 2

@ Colonel56 its not that easy. If I take away the flats he users inside me and if I cover inside he stays outside. I figured a team with good ends ( high awareness?) would bat the pass down when I put them in QB spy or contain, but neither work.

Yea I will try velcro and see if I have any success
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2011, 02:55 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 8

When the angle route is the preferred way my opponent moves the ball, I like to use the defense where the OLB's are in contains while the DE's are in hook zones. I think it's called "OLB Contain."

The OLB in contain seems to work better than a DE in contain, especially with the DE behind playing a hook zone. Also, moving a safety in man coverage closer to the line of scrimmage helps overcome the agility difference between most backs and linebackers.

Manual coverage works too...

In addition, a defender covering the flat with a LB in the middle of the field (4-3 Normal Hog Buck) can get INT's when the linebacker arrives at the cut just as the ball is thrown. You may have to adjust your pre-snap position.

Hope this helps,

Later
Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniels2386
@ Colonel56 its not that easy. If I take away the flats he users inside me and if I cover inside he stays outside. I figured a team with good ends ( high awareness?) would bat the pass down when I put them in QB spy or contain, but neither work.

Yea I will try velcro and see if I have any success
get in his hip pocket and read his moves. if u do it well and he keeps out and u go for a pic u will get the animation. If he tries to cross your face just clamp down and ride his inside and if they throw the ball it should be a pic if done well..........either way it should deter the qb from throwing
Old 04-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 15

These routes are almost impossible to defend in madden 11. Especially, with the top ranked QB's ie; Brees, Rodgers, Manning etc.

Overall, the over the middle D in MAdden 11 is horrible and can be easily exploited. It's a combination of the lack of route based passing and the ability that QB's have to complete passes to receivers with their backs facing the QB.

I've played against a couple of guys online who have mastered this exploit and it's nothing you can do to stop it. Either the flats or over the middle is open every time it seems, regardless of the d.

The guys I've seen abuse these routes immediately drill a pass almost as soon as his qb takes the snap, and there just is not enough time for your defenders to react imo.

QB's should not be able to drill a accurate pass 'right away' after taking the snap, to a receiver who has barely started their route.

This has been an ongoing issue with Madden.

There is really no route based passing scheme in the game, therefore users are able to complete passes to receivers who are 2 steps into their route and who are not even looking at the QB.

And for some reason the receiver spotlight feature on D, is not as effective as it was in previous Maddens IMO.

It's frustrating knowing exactly where your opponent is going with the ball pre-snap, and being helpless cause of the flawed passing game in Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »