Home

Problems and Solutions

This is a discussion on Problems and Solutions within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #113
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Problems and Solutions

Okay, I think one of the big disconnects here between TNT and everyone else is that TNT, by his own admission, never plays against the CPU. He is a strictly head-to-head guy. That's probably why you are seeing the same things a lot of us are saying because the game plays a lot different between the two modes.

Quote:
TNT713
Futhermore, you can play gap control defense on Madden. I do it. For every defense I run I know exactly which gap every rusher is attempting to fill. Ever cover assignment, every minute detail - EVERY PLAY.

How many Madden players can say they know EVERY ASSIGNMENT on EVERY PLAY in their defensive playbooks?
And to answer this point, I can say that YES, I know every assignment, every defensive player on my team has on every play in my 4-3 defensive playbook and I can say that the gap control in Madden 11 is spotty at best. I'm not going to make the grandiose statement that it doesn't exist, but it is not something at all with a level of realism to be relied upon and it is not due to a lack of user football knowledge. This one is ALL ON EA.

I can only speak for playing on All-Madden and against the CPU and I can tell you that playing as the MLB I know, pre-snap, what gap my linemen should secure and which gap I should work down into and I can say that is does not happen the way it's supposed to. I can't count the number of times I have taken on a dive play and turned it back inside for the backside backer to make the play, only to watch the RB rip off a 10 yard gain because he's nowhere to be found. Going back to replays, the OLB will just stand there and get blocked or completely vacate his responsibility.

Before you respond with the old standby of "Well, it happens like that in real life", let me say that answer is unacceptable, because I have seen it happen in NCAA 11 is regularity. If I am in an under front, my 89 rated 3 technique should step into his gap looking to penetrate. On a simple dive play if he hasn't eaten up the guard's block and left me to make the play and a guard is on me, then he should make the play. If the tackle, for some reason can't then the WILL should be free, but it doesn't happen like that.

POWER PLAY: I try to play it like it's normally played in real life. If I see a power-o to the left, I try to get over the top. In Madden that usually means that I have to meet the guard in the hole because the SAM is usually eaten up. If I meet the guard in the hole and turn it back inside, that's where the WILL should fill. More times than not, he's nowhere to be found. It's gotten to the point where I have to forsake how I know it's commonly played and try to make the play myself because I can't trust that everyone is going to be where they are supposed to be. I have to shoot the vacated gap by the pulling guard and chase from behind. Making tackles from behind is precarious at best -- even the weakest RB's can shake them off. So, if the play gets to the outside and his momentum isn't slowed then the safety that's the force player is toast.

The user linemen against the CPU do not penetrate like they should (not even Minnesota's Williams Wall) and I will still see from time to time three or four of them get bowled over in unison, which has nothing to do with the user and his level of knowledge, but everything to do with programming.

Quote:
TNT713
Only one of them was good enough to make the league - and even he rode the pine.
Actually is was more than one. Tommy Maddox wound up Comeback Player of the Year for the Steelers and won a playoff game.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #114
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
I dont want to cut and paste your post but there is no defense in THIS day and age that is not "hot routed" from the time they get the defensive call to the snap......Based on what the offense comes out in there are checks and "hot routes" happening all over the place...

Vs some offensive sets the safeties in a 2 high look are asked to "shade to the sidelines"

In a cov 3 look if faced with trips to the opposite side the backside players may be asked to "man up" with the backside threats.

If some blitz packages are called depending on the formation one blitzer will have to abandon the blitz in turn for coverage responsibilities.

In some stunt packages a DLman may have to "reblitz" himself to make the stunt as successful as possible.

I can go on and on.... Just about every play on defense is "hot routed" in some way...
These adjustments are automatic. During the week of practice you get instruction on what to do vs anticipated formations while in each defense. So EVERY time you're in a particular defense and you see trips, for example, you'll respond a certain way. It's not a different set of adjustments each time. It's part of the defensive call. It may not be stated in the huddle, but it's established during the week's practice as an automatic adjustment.

This is different than wanting to call a certain defense that's not in Madden's playbook and hot routing your way into it. Madden's system is the equivelent of certain combinations being off limits in the huddle, but OK at the LOS. But at the LOS, some of what was OK in the huddle is off limits at the LOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
Yes IRL tems get a Tiered defensive play call but it isnt really tiered... Certain DL stunts only go with certain LB assignments (which involve placement as well as coverage)...which only go with certain DB assignments and placements.... So in a sense it is just like a madden playcall.... No the madden system isnt a "correct system" but a full on tiered system isnt correct either
Of course it's tiered. Defenses expand every week. I only coached on a highschool level and we based our defenses on the team of the week... tendencies, strenghts, weaknesses, ect. Some of it wouldn't make sense against one team, but it makes sense against this week's team.

A team's man-free "plays" are not tied to a weak OLB, DE/DT twist. A coordinator can do anything he wants in front of it.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:48 PM   #115
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

@TNT: I think you misunderstood my references to NFL Blitz and the XFL in my previous post. The point was, just because some NFL strategy can be used for success in them doesn't mean they simulate NFL play. You even mentioned "NFL rules" about the XFL and my focal point was how Madden ( NFL Blitz and the XFL too) lack basic NFL rules and/or enforcement. That's one of the main reasons Madden can't simulate the NFL play and why I don't understand how anyone can claim it can. If you or anyone else are able to enjoy the football experience they get from playing Madden, I think that's great. However, most of those that don't, is due to the fact that alot of the risk/reward present in the real NFL is poorly implemented and/or completely missing in Madden. Also, some of these same risk/rewards have already been simulated in other NFL sim games, even some past Maddens. People expect with NFL Blitz, a self described arcade game, and the XFL to only get something that may somewhat resemble, NFL football but not when the football play is marketed as NFL sim, like Madden is. People having a problem with a game that's being marketed as a NFL simulation game in 2011 that doesn't even have some real NFL penalties represented, much less some basic NFL football game play fundamentals, should be a given, not a debate.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #116
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Regarding CATCHING THE BALL - Not only do people expect EA to make the game, they want EA to play it for them too. In the NFL, every catch is a USER CATCH. Rocket Catch and Jetpack are just stupid replacements for real football terms. In Madden guys who user catch will have an advantage over the guys that don't.

Now I know that many people might say, "I shouldn't have to ________!"

But if you were coaching a real team and your players told you "Coach, I shouldn't have to _________," imagine what you'd do if your players pulled a Haynesworth.

When I see people complain about folks that spectacular user catch, I wonder which defenses they run, how often they adjust to the threats they face, and how smart they are as a football fan. There always seems to be a failure on one of those fronts...

When you use words like glitches, flaws, arcade, exploits, bad AI, etc... It makes this discussion impossible to carry forward.

Please tell me you aren't blaming the unwillingness to user catch/defend on the animations.

The myths you've heard about NOT being able to stop a spectacular catch with AI coverage have been boldly exaggerated. Having hosted tournaments beginning with the year the SPC rating was added - I can tell you that there were several coverages that defended spectacular catch receivers against the most deadly route of the game on '08.

I remember my 2nd event, in the Final 4, there was one player that couldn't stop receiver's from undercutting hook routes and leaping to catch them. Meanwhile the other 3 had no problem defending it. Oddly, these tourney players were defending with CPU defenders on the SAME GAME that I read countless reports of how the CPU couldn't defend it.

In fact, one of the top ranked players in the world that season got beat in the 1st round by an 'unknown' because the new guy was stopping his spectacular catches.

So when I hear people say the AI can't do this or that, I laugh. I know it's not the AI that is at fault. They just don't know something. They might THINK they know, though.

Not having Tiered play calling is NOT a strategic weakness of players... But calling defenses using a tiered philosophy is daft when playing a game that doesn't use a tiered system. That's the same as ordering a Whopper at McDonald's - no matter how long you yell at the cashier and manager - your burger isn't going to be a Whopper.

If you want to call plays like APF, 2K, Gameday, FB Pro, etc... You should be playing those games. If you're playing Madden, you shouldn't be trying to call plays like you're playing APF, 2K, Gameday, FB Pro, etc.

Futhermore, you can play gap control defense on Madden. I do it. For every defense I run I know exactly which gap every rusher is attempting to fill. Ever cover assignment, every minute detail - EVERY PLAY.

How many Madden players can say they know EVERY ASSIGNMENT on EVERY PLAY in their defensive playbooks?

I thought we'd been over this, several times, throughout the course of my OS membership. I'll say this again, for the record... I claim no knowledge of anything except football, Madden, and how to adapt real football strategies to the MADDEN GAME.

There's the subject of what's possible in the football gaming genre... Feel free to discuss it all you want. I'm sure several players will offer their opinions. But if you look around, I'm not posting in the APF forum. NEVER HAVE.

I post in the Madden forum because I play Madden as my football gaming choice. If a particular play call system exists in another game, but it's not relevant to Madden - I have NO INTEREST IN DISCUSSING IT.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that isn't relative to Madden is just smoke and mirrors that will not help me play MADDEN better.

So, I'll say again... MADDEN, MADDEN, MADDEN, MADDEN, MADDEN (madden). Please, don't waste your keyboard strokes bringing up another football game. It irks me that I have to tell intelligent people this more than once. Feel free to hold my lack of interest in other football games against me, but my interest isn't going to change.

Once again, you drop the 'glitch' word. Let's call tactics by name please... Using euphemisms for glitch makes it seem as if folks aren't able to describe them with football words. IMO, that's irresponsible of knowledgeable football and/or gaming fans.

I'll agree that Hot routing my defense to a scheme I would have called in the huddle is a 'workaround' if you agree that providing users the tools to create a workaround means the devs INTENDED for us to create 'workarounds.'

The way I see it, I have 250 defenses in my playbook but I wish I had 1,000. By providing the tools for me to create the 750 defenses I want in my playbook, I don't see it as a workaround - it's a necessity. I see it as a window for me to create exactly the defense I want - EVERYTIME. Is there a better way to do it? Maybe. But until that better way is relevant to Madden - it's not worth discussing, IMO.

I went back and played Madden '04 about a month ago. It used to be my favorite Madden, but now it's unplayable. Why? No workarounds on defense.

I've played Madden for almost as long as you. Been watching football probably as long as most people here (about 30+ years). I knew the rules, how to read a play diagram, the basics about matching offensive and defensive alignments, etc... By all accounts, I was a pretty knowledgeable player.

Then Madden went online and I found my recognition skills, user skills, and adjustment skills lacking. For 13 of my 20 years playing Madden, I'd been fooling myself into thinking I was a good football tactician... I wasn't. But I was determined to be.

I hit the books, starting with formations. I learned the strengths and weaknesses of each offensive and defensive formation in Madden. I then expanded that to include formations that weren't in Madden.

Then I worked on my defensive user skills by learning every position's role in every formation and play that I use. I worked on being able to execute those assignments manually WHILE adjusting plays to ensure AI defenders played their assignments the way I wanted...

Ignorance is bliss. I was more confused about football games when I played all of them. Never enjoyed any football game more than when I started to focus on just one.

At least you admit that you don't enjoy Madden because it doesn't use a method you feel works better in another game. I can respect that more than the "It's not realistic" antics I usually see thrown in with logical discussion. Fact is, none of it is realistic..

The Defensive coordinator isn't sitting in the booth with a flip book where he mixes and matches coverages... He has a clipboard and a headset. Maybe the Madden franchise will one day move to a voice recognition play call system. Maybe another game will do it first. But until then, none of the play call systems will be 'realistic' or 'SIM.'

Until Madden uses a different play call system, I'll call plays using whatever system it has. That doesn't mean it can't improve, but as a player of the current game, all I can do right now is call plays the Madden way.

ThinkingOutLoud,

Other than the NFL Blitz analogy, you made some good points. Other than being football games, I'm not aware that Blitz and Madden are anything alike. I'd prefer to keep the discussion on Madden and strategy. Like always, I'm going to bend this back around to strategic player weaknesses.

You referred to the risk/reward system in the NFL... I agree, to an extent it's not reflected in Madden. Part of that is the environment of 1v1 play.

If Player A is a horrible Madden player, he can still play the role as coach, player, and coordinator in as many games as he physically has time to play. If Madden were like real life, most Madden players would get FIRED and NEVER be allowed to play again. Fortunately for Madden fans, many of the worst players fire themselves early in he season, trade the game, and play something else all year.

By that same token, players that make stupid football decisions like going for it on 4th and 20 inside their own 10 face the same consequences as the guy that doesn't know his * from his < (that 2nd one is an elbow...lol). NOTHING. After the game they get a win or a loss, but never face the consequences that come with accumulating either. Therefore, the risk/reward aspect of Madden must be judged within the scope of a single game...

Throughout this I've never implied that anyone is devoid of football knowledge. When I say 'lacking knowledge,' it doesn't mean they are a football buffoon (doesn't mean they are not either).

I know many Madden players who play at a HIGH LEVEL, who will candidly discuss where their knowledge is not as strong as other areas. Take me for example, my strengths are the short passing game on offense, and playing detective on defense...

I'll use this examle because it's near and dear to guys that play Madden (even if they don't like the game). Before Madden '03 I had little knowledge of pass protections. I LACKED FOOTBALL KNOWLEDGE, so it was logical that any football strategy I didn't know was IMPOSSIBLE to implement in the Madden game. Being a solution guy, I set out to learn about pass protection.

As I learned I added one piece at a time and had more success against blitzes. The more I learned about real football, the more I could use real football in my Madden game. Now, years later, I can beat practically any blitz opponents throw at me. As a result, I'm aware of areas that I lack knowledge and I seek it from the only source I really trust - REAL LIFE STRATEGY.

It takes a little effort to figure out which of the myriad of Madden commands will produce the execution we want, but that is why Madden is special... The game is simple to learn, but tough to master. Winning means something on Madden because of the effort it takes to skills required to play it well, not in spite of them.

There are some tangential issues you mentioned that I'm not sure I understand - but I'll speak on the NFL/XFL. If you put 22 NFL caliber athletes on a 120 yard field, with a ball, NFL rules, and some practice you can get NFL caliber football.

Let's face it... XFL players weren't NFL caliber, nor did anyone expect them to be. It started as a side-show. The entire league was based on antics using players who weren't really talented. Only one of them was good enough to make the league - and even he rode the pine.

Later
Wow.....just...WOW!! Someone certainly is full of themselves. It's become laughable at this point. Like you said yourself...ignorance is bliss...and you are the most bliss filled person on these boards right now.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #117
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Wow.....just...WOW!! Someone certainly is full of themselves. It's become laughable at this point. Like you said yourself...ignorance is bliss...and you are the most bliss filled person on these boards right now.
really..............sigh

theres no point in having a debate on these types of topics because of people like you
Old 04-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #118
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Full of myself?

Nah. This "full of myself" you see used to be "forced humility." It took me 2 years to win my first Madden game. Years later I could beat all my friends. I thought I was a great Madden player. But after getting CRUSHED for a few online games, it's tough to be prideful. It's easier to become resentful.

I went another direction. I became a student of football with the intention of using that information when playing Madden. In Jan 2003 I researched formations so I could operate under center. Today, I'm glad I did. My Madden experience is better because of it. I've built upon that knowledge foundation and imitated the concepts and techniques I read about - and they work!

I've never pretended to be a football genius. I'm a copycat just like everybody else. Anybody who is interested... Check out these books:

Quote:
"Blood, Sweat, and Chalk" - Tim Layden
"Play Football the NFL Way" - Tom Bass
"Take Your Eye Off the Ball" - Pat Kirwan
"The Art of War" - Sun Tzu
"One Knee Equals Two Feet" - John Madden & Dave Anderson
"All Madden" - John Madden
"The Official Vince Lombardi Playbook" - Phil Barber
"Winning Defense" - Bud Wilkinson
"West Cost Offense" - Dave Henderson

From "Total Football - The Official Encyclopedia of the NFL - 1st Edition"

Chapter 18 - The Evolution of Strategy
Chapter 19 - The Playbook
That's where I learn to play Madden. IF - and that's a big if - you can process the information contained into the virtual realm, your Madden game will benefit from real world strategic football knowledge.

Beyond that, I'm proud to be a Madden fan, Madden website owner, and football strategy fiend. The 'full of myself' you sense is simply my confidence that anyone can learn what I learned and apply it to their own game to make their 1v1 experiences better. Assuming they want a better 1v1 Madden experience.

I guess I'm talking to the people who don't want to lose the same way twice...

Later
Old 04-22-2011, 02:08 AM   #119
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

TNT, I'm giving you the last word, because you're the OP. But now we've gone in circles for half the thread.

I think it's very fair to the poster who mentioned that TNT plays only online. It's a completely different game. Offline and online gamers may as well be talking two different languages.

I'm closing this up, because it's just going to get someone in trouble.

I think everyone's had ample opportunity to make their points.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »