Home

25 New Plays Coming to Madden NFL 12 - Play #20: Sugar Blitz

This is a discussion on 25 New Plays Coming to Madden NFL 12 - Play #20: Sugar Blitz within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #17
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
Although I'll run this blitz, it looks easy to block from I-Form, Far, and Near formations.

Later
But wouldn't you use this defensive package against multi WR sets?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: 25 New Plays Coming to Madden NFL 12 - Play #20: Sugar Blitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
In theory yes.

But using this package vs, lets say I form, gives the defense an advantage in terms of coverage to route running ability (in most cases) which is what you want in a defense when you are in a cover 0...

And also people may just get in the personnel in a 3rd and med/long situation (no matter who is on the field for the offense).....just because it may be a persons 3rd down defense
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
I can tell you for sure that either 1 of 2 things WILL happen if just the OL is blocking with no help.....

1. either of the a gap blitzers will come untouched
2. A LB (DE spot) will come untouched...
Don't you think someone should come free in that scenario? Its 6 rushers vs 5 blockers?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #20
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
I can tell you for sure that either 1 of 2 things WILL happen if just the OL is blocking with no help.....

1. either of the a gap blitzers will come untouched
2. A LB (DE spot) will come untouched...
Guess what, when you have 6 blitzers against 5 linemen without help, someone will come in unblocked. That's not an exploit, that's basic math.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
I wouldn't unless my opponent gave me specific reason to use this. I don't like to blitz the middle against multiple WR sets unless there's a dangerous pass catching threat in the backfield. I'd be more apt to use this between the 35's against base formations...

I'd use the additional speed to make sure my man coverage holds up while the pressure does it's thing. From the diagram, it looks to be Dime personnel with LB Ends... I have to assume that the SS and MLB are blitzing the A's.

We'll see how it works.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
I wouldn't unless my opponent gave me specific reason to use this. I don't like to blitz the middle against multiple WR sets unless there's a dangerous pass catching threat in the backfield. I'd be more apt to use this between the 35's against base formations...

I'd use the additional speed to make sure my man coverage holds up while the pressure does it's thing. From the diagram, it looks to be Dime personnel with LB Ends... I have to assume that the SS and MLB are blitzing the A's.

We'll see how it works.

Later
And this goes back to the "madden world" vs real life debate. If the offense comes out in 21 personnel (2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE) in real life, the defense usually matches up with their base personnel. You would almost never see a team bring in 1 DL, 5 LB and 5 DBs to match up to the offense. That's a huge exploit for the offense to run the ball at will, but that's not always the case in Madden.

There are some TEs who dictate matching up with an extra DB: Gates, Clark, Aaron Hernandez, etc but for the most part, there is not a lot of Nickel played against base formations. Last couple years, the Packers primarily played Nickel against base offenses, but they're only able to get away with it because of Charles Woodson. He lines up on the slot and is as effective as a LB at stopping the run. He's a special player. Most teams can't afford to have an extra DB stopping the run but on Madden it's commonplace.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
And this goes back to the "madden world" vs real life debate. If the offense comes out in 21 personnel (2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE) in real life, the defense usually matches up with their base personnel. You would almost never see a team bring in 1 DL, 5 LB and 5 DBs to match up to the offense. That's a huge exploit for the offense to run the ball at will, but that's not always the case in Madden.

There are some TEs who dictate matching up with an extra DB: Gates, Clark, Aaron Hernandez, etc but for the most part, there is not a lot of Nickel played against base formations. Last couple years, the Packers primarily played Nickel against base offenses, but they're only able to get away with it because of Charles Woodson. He lines up on the slot and is as effective as a LB at stopping the run. He's a special player. Most teams can't afford to have an extra DB stopping the run but on Madden it's commonplace.
The RL v Madden argument might apply IF I used this as a base defense against base offense. In my first post, I stated that I'd use this if my opponent gave me a reason. If my opponent is running the ball from base personnel, it's not likely that he's going to 'give me a reason' to bring 6 DB's against his base...

Furthermore, is he special because he's Charles Woodson? Or is he special because his coordinator uses him in a special way?

That's a rhetorical question. Both are true. But he's not the only defensive back that could be used in that fashion. There are plenty of other players who would fit well into the way Dom Capers uses Woodson. Those players just don't play in Dom's defense...

Later
Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shttymcgee
Don't you think someone should come free in that scenario? Its 6 rushers vs 5 blockers?
Yes......I was just saying how they would come free

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
Guess what, when you have 6 blitzers against 5 linemen without help, someone will come in unblocked. That's not an exploit, that's basic math.
The word exploit never came out of my mouth........
#fail

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »