Home

It's been in EVERY Wishlist for the past 6 years

This is a discussion on It's been in EVERY Wishlist for the past 6 years within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: It's been in EVERY Wishlist for the past 6 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
The amount of video RAM it would take to do a full, live in-game cutaway makes it outright impossible to do on this generation of consoles unless graphical quality is drastically sacrificed. I'm talking taking jersey + field + stadium + other in-game textures and cutting their memory footprint in half (at least), resulting in a Madden game that effectively looks half as good as it does now.

High-definition textures require a TON of RAM. Doing something like this on a 16-bit console when players were small static 2D images with no unique identifying features and when there was no visible difference in the stadiums relative to one-another made doing cutaways much easier in those games than they are today.
They don't have to be live though. The cutaways can be scripted events based on the outcome of a simulated game.

2k did this perfectly with their Sportscenter. A game was simulated, summarized and then complimented with the appropriate gameplay cutscenes to explain the simulation. It was immersive as hell and the load times were actually surprisingly reasonable (especially if you were running the game through HDLoader). I'm pretty sure this is what Madden did during their Sega Genesis days too. I don't think consoles back then could handle simultaneous live games either.

Basically, there are ways to work around the limitations of ram. It just requires creativity.

Last edited by Nab_Impervious_XII; 04-28-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 15

Maybe next year.... again.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #51
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab_Impervious_XII
They don't have to be live though. The cutaways can be scripted events based on the outcome of a simulated game.

2k did this perfectly with their Sportscenter. A game was simulated, summarized and then complimented with the appropriate gameplay cutscenes to explain the simulation. It was immersive as hell and the load times were actually surprisingly reasonable (especially if you were running the game through HDLoader). I'm pretty sure this is what Madden did during their Sega Genesis days too. I don't think consoles back then could handle simultaneous live games either.

Basically, there are ways to work around the limitations of ram. It just requires creativity.
Bolded for truth. I want to see them do something that isn't a common sense choice, to come up with some innovation. I guess this year we'll see reviewers actually give them credit for removing their half-azz halftime show attempt instead of instead of docking them for going on x-number of years w/o one. I understand why they would remove what they had in place. But that definitely doesn't deserve applause

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #52
Pro

radiohead's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
The amount of video RAM it would take to do a full, live in-game cutaway makes it outright impossible to do on this generation of consoles unless graphical quality is drastically sacrificed. I'm talking taking jersey + field + stadium + other in-game textures and cutting their memory footprint in half (at least), resulting in a Madden game that effectively looks half as good as it does now.

High-definition textures require a TON of RAM. Doing something like this on a 16-bit console when players were small static 2D images with no unique identifying features and when there was no visible difference in the stadiums relative to one-another made doing cutaways much easier in those games than they are today.
From the looks of things, making a football sim on this generation of consoled is also impossible. That really is the heart of the problem.

But back to your original point, I don't discount that technical limitations present an obstacle. However, that card is played too often imho.

At a recent community day event, one of the devs said that anything is possible, it's just a matter of time and resources.

They've had more than enough time. The community is still waiting.

10 years from now, we'll still probably be waiting. What will the excuse be then?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #53
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab_Impervious_XII

Regardless of whether it's live or not, the RAM problem still exists. Not to mention there's a bottleneck existing between loading all the textures off disc / off hard drive into RAM.

It may not be impossible, but it'd be significantly difficult.

And 2K's highlight tech, while in-and-of-itself nice, only had about five or six different highlights that could play for any given game. Further, once again, the amount of space required to store all the assets on the PS2 + XBOX is much, much, much smaller than the game would require in its current state.

Again, very difficult, though I might backtrack from impossible a bit if it's not a live in-game cutaway.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #54
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

I don't even need full highlights at this point. Just something, anything that alludes to other games going on within franchise mode as well as tidbits about the game going on would be good. The Extra Point was a step in that direction, but as too often w/ EA it seems instead of building on that they scrap it a few years later and go in another direction.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:50 PM   #55
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chen_sc
week 17, you're playing the browns and you need to win and the steelers to lose to make the playoffs...updates from the steelers game while you're playing your game will keep you fascinated to the game...
Yes, I would LOVE that!

I also want player attitudes and such to change as the years or games go. Functional Morale MUST return.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #56
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24

I too am very disappointed in the aspect of presentation, but i don't want this to ruin my enjoyment in the other improve aspect of the game. I still hope out hope that in franchise mode there will be a weekly recap of some sort.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »