Home

Madden 12 1st Round Rookie Ratings

This is a discussion on Madden 12 1st Round Rookie Ratings within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2011, 02:19 AM   #41
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden 12 1st Round Rookie Ratings

Cam Newton with only 'B' potential? I have heard him as described with "unlimited" potential, though there are so many opinions floating out there on the QBs that who knows.

I personally would hope all the rookies are rated in line so that Tyron Smith is like right at 70 but with A potential. He's described as a low-floor high-ceiling player, so that seems to fit. Only guys ready to plug-and-play should approach 80, IMO, and they shouldn't necessarily have high potential grades to compensate (Anthony Castanzo comes to mind, he's been described as immediately pro-ready; similar deal for Danny Watkins).

I'd peg Christian Ponder well below 70 somewhere, though I'm on record as not being a fan of his by any means.

This is assuming that the Madden 12 progression system works similar to Madden 11; it could be based on a new concept. We shall see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2011, 02:51 AM   #42
MVP

OVR: 36

If any first round rookie is below 70, something is wrong. I'm cynical, but I don't feel on principle alone it is fair to rate the rookies that low so fast. Obviously they showed enough to be the first 32 picked based on more than simply potential. If you have 60s in the first round, what do the 6th and 7th rounders look like? If you want to dramatically scale the whole roster down so no player gets above 95 until they are HOF locks, then I would agree...but for the current style Madden ratings I feel 1 or 2 80 OVR and the rest divvying up the 70s is about fair.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:19 AM   #43
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
If any first round rookie is below 70, something is wrong. I'm cynical, but I don't feel on principle alone it is fair to rate the rookies that low so fast. Obviously they showed enough to be the first 32 picked based on more than simply potential. If you have 60s in the first round, what do the 6th and 7th rounders look like? If you want to dramatically scale the whole roster down so no player gets above 95 until they are HOF locks, then I would agree...but for the current style Madden ratings I feel 1 or 2 80 OVR and the rest divvying up the 70s is about fair.
I wouldn't go far below 70 for the majority of the first-round rookies, I really just don't like Christian Ponder lol. I remember back to Madden 02 when Michael Vick came into the league - round 1 pick 1 - as a 72 OVR. He still developed really nicely (I traded for him so I wouldn't have to lead my Cowboys with freaking Tony Banks, haha), but it took a good bit for him to reach his full potential. I think Ladainian Tomlinson came in that year as a 75, and he also turned into a real nice player but again didn't quickly reach his peak (granted the RB progression model should account for shorter shelf life of running backs; M02 didn't). I suppose I'm nostalgic for those days a bit.

I do think that a system where only HoFers approached 99 would be interesting.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:36 AM   #44
MVP

OVR: 36

I am nostalgic for the old days too, but ratings weren't as marketable as they are now. There was no reason to spot an extra point or two then. Everyone should start in the same baseline vicinity (but still have case by case basis), and roster updates will end up separating the weak from the strong in time. So I tried to look at the ratings objectively, with half my mind in 2004 and the other half in 2011.

BTW, I know Newton will undoubtedly have A potential, those were just my take on if I were the roster guy, my initial thoughts. Newton COULD be a superhuman megastar, but he has unbelievable bust factor as well.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:24 AM   #45
Pro

OVR: 10

How in the world are qb's with no NFL Pro Style type systems coming in higher rated then someone like Ponder,Mallet,Locker ??? In my opinion, qb's who played in pro style offenses should come in with higher Ovr but maybe have lower ceilings. Cam,Gabbert have way more potential but not come in NFL ready like a Ponder.

I see it more like this :
C Ponder 77 B Awareness gotta count for something
J Locker 76 B Accuracy is hard to learn
R Mallet 76 A Most gifted talent in draft
A Dalton 75 A Will end up being the best qb of draft
B Gabbert 74 A Lot of Pottential if he can sit and learn
C Newton 72 B Can he learn a NFL playbook? Sub Accuracy
C Kaepernick 71 A Prodject but has all the tools

It really is tough to rate pottential cause who really knows how one will fair in 3-5 years really. We can only predict and guess.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 AM   #46
Rookie

TomBrady's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Potential:
The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
Newton is the QB with the highest potential in the draft. Just like Jamarcus Russell was the QB with the highest potential the year he got drafted.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 0

I was reading Cam Newton's draft profile and I did a mock of what his Madden attribute set might be:

Draft Profile
Strengths
One of Newton’s best weapons is his feet. Newton makes plays on the ground and makes it look easy. A 6’6" 250-pound frame makes it look like he’s jogging out there, when he’s actually running a 4.45-4.50 second forty yard dash.
He can break tackles, doesn’t run out of bounds and isn’t afraid to take a shot and fight for extra yardage. He’s a very tough player overall, and while he doesn’t seem to have the greatest intangibles, he has all of the physical aspects needed to succeed at the next level.
But it’s not just his feet that make plays. In fact, he may be a better passer than a scrambler. It’s a misconception that scrambling quarterbacks aren’t accurate, or can’t throw. It’s like the misconception that all strong-armed quarterbacks are inaccurate.
Newton has a very strong arm, and can make all of the throws at the next level. His accuracy is surprisingly nice as well. He can float the ball right over a defender, he can zip it in a small window and he can lead his receivers if he wants to. He doesn’t throw perfect passes every time, but who does?

Weaknesses
No matter how great a prospect is, he will have weaknesses. Newton’s main weaknesses still do come in the passing game. There are times when he doesn’t seem to set his feet to throw. Often too confident in his arm, he will make an unbalanced throw off of his back foot.
I want to see him improve on his three-step and five-step drops when coming out directly under center. He plays a lot of shotgun right now, but that’s not going to happen in the NFL. This was something that many teams faulted Tim Tebow for in the 2010 NFL Draft.
Newton’s decision making could be improved at times as well. This is another confidence issue in some occasions. When you have such a strong arm, you believe you can put the ball anywhere on the field. In the NFL, that doesn’t happen often when throwing down field. Cornerbacks are just as fast as the wide receivers, and will be able to keep up with them. You won’t see many wide open receivers in the NFL.
Newton needs to learn to set his feet more, and make a good form throw. His ability to scramble makes this hard to do, because he’ll sometimes get “happy feet” where he just wants to take off and run with the football. He’ll need to learn a bit more patience at the next level.
His intangibles are a bit of a mystery. While he’s clearly a leader on the Auburn team, and seemingly has a solid playing attitude, we don’t know all that much about him. One will question if he actually cheated in Florida, and if he knew the laptop was stolen. People are also going to be quick to take sides on whether or not to believe whether he knew he dad was involving him in a pay to play situation as well.
There are a lot of mysteries there, and that’s something that teams will have to sort out as they have had their chances to interview him throughout the NFL Combine process at the end of February.
Obviously character concerns are going to present a huge issue, and will be a reason that a few teams, specifically the Colts, Browns, Jaguars, and Chiefs most likely steer clear from Newton. Any time a major incident is brought upon a player, whether he’s innocent or not, can sometimes be a big negative.

Throw Power: 88 (Newton has a very strong arm, and can make all of the throws at the next level.)

Short Accuracy: 85 (His accuracy is surprisingly nice as well. He can float the ball right over a defender, he can zip it in a small window and he can lead his receivers if he wants to.)

Medium Accuracy: 86 (His accuracy is surprisingly nice as well. He can float the ball right over a defender, he can zip it in a small window and he can lead his receivers if he wants to.)

Deep Accuracy: 51* (Don't think he will throw bombs very often)

Awareness: 56 (Newton’s decision making could be improved at times as well. This is another confidence issue in some occasions. When you have such a strong arm, you believe you can put the ball anywhere on the field.)

Throw on Run: 92 (One of Newton’s best weapons is his feet.)

Trucking: 71 (He can break tackles, doesn’t run out of bounds and isn’t afraid to take a shot and fight for extra yardage.)

Elusiveness: 85 (He can break tackles, doesn’t run out of bounds and isn’t afraid to take a shot and fight for extra yardage.)
Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 16

1 Panthers - QB Cam Newton 74 ovr
2 Broncos - OLB Von Miller 82 ovr
3 Bills - DE/DT Marcell Dareus 82 ovr
4 Bengals - WR A.J. Green 82 ovr
5 Cardinals - CB Patrick Peterson 84 ovr
6. Falcons - Julio Jones 77 ovr
7 49ers - OLB Aldon Smith 76 ovr
8 Titans - QB Jake Locker 74 ovr
9 Cowboys - OT Tyron Smith 76 ovr
10 Jaguars - QB Blaine Gabbert 77 ovr
11 Texans - DE J.J. Watt 76 ovr
12 Vikings - QB Christian Ponder 67 ovr
13 Lions - DT Nick Fairley 80 ovr
14 Rams - DE Robert Quinn 81 ovr
15 Dolphins - G Mike Pouncey 74 ovr
16 Redskins - OLB Ryan Kerrigan 76 pvr
17 Patriots - OT Nate Solder 74 ovr
18 Chargers - DE Corey Liuget 76 ovr
19 Giants - CB Prince Amukamara 80 ovr
20 Buccaneers - DE Adrian Clayborn 73 ovr
21 Browns - DT Phil Taylor 72 ovr
22 Colts - OT Anthony Castonzo 74 ovr
23 Eagles - OG Danny Watkins 70 ovr
24 Saints - DE Cameron Jordan 74 ovr
25 Seahawks - OT/OG James Carpenter 66 ovr
26 Chiefs - WR Jonathan Baldwin 68 ovr
27 Ravens - CB Jimmy Smith 74 ovr
28 Saints - HB Mark Ingram 76 ovr
29 Bears - OT Gabe Carimi 74 ovr
30 Jets - DE Muhammad Wilkerson 75 ovr
31 Steelers - DE Cameron Heyward 73 ovr
32 Packers - OT Derek Sherrod 70 ovr

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »