Home

Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long

This is a discussion on Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #9
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long

I shutter to think where this thread is going...
Old 04-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

yea you could press L2 to do it. I do remember.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
Pro

Kahuma's Arena

OVR: 17

No I am not talking about 'leading' a WR, you can throw passes early and where the need to be. I've told you how to do it, Im not sure what you definition of 'Several Seconds' is, but how often does a QB throw a 7-yard out route 'Several Seconds' before the player cuts?

For a deep ball, trying to that 'Several Seconds' will result in a long bomb and give the safety way too much time to catch that route, unless he's already beat, in which you can still throw it in Madden but you have to use the directional passing to do it.

Post routes cutd arent until 7-10 yards down the field, how quickly are you trying to throw that exactly?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Kahuma, you seem to be talking about leading the receiver and placing the ball in a spot (high, low, behind, ahead). But if your WR runs an out route, and you throw that ball several seconds before he makes his break to the outside, your QB is going to throw that ball as if your WR is supposed to run a go route.

Only1LT: I know, and I agree with you. I do remember the button. Was that Madden 04? I absolutely loved that feature.
Madden 99 was the last time it was in the game. Don't remember if it was L2 or R2, but it was one of those. It was awesome.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I shutter to think where this thread is going...

I know where it's going. In fact, I expect him here soon lol.

And it's shudder, not shutter. Not trying to be an ***, just that I see this mistake a lot, and just passing along some friendly info, just in case it wasn't a simple typo.

Last edited by Only1LT; 04-29-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuma
There is route-based passing in Madden, but you must use the direction passing with it. Unfortunately it is harder to do because it was extremely overpowered. In reality not all starting QBs can make on-the-money route passes, some must wait until they make their cuts.

Also playing on All-Madden will hinder this because DBs jump routes alot so something its better to just wait until after the cut. Average QB + Low RR WR = Picked/Bad Pass alot when trying to throw before cuts. It takes highly accurate QBs and good RR WRs to do this, but it is there.
You pretty much took the words right out of my mouth..
Old 04-29-2011, 03:27 PM   #15
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I know where it's going. In fact, I expect him here soon lol.
Must not open this thread again.

Goodbye.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #16
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuma
No I am not talking about 'leading' a WR, you can throw passes early and where the need to be. I've told you how to do it, Im not sure what you definition of 'Several Seconds' is, but how often does a QB throw a 7-yard out route 'Several Seconds' before the player cuts?

For a deep ball, trying to that 'Several Seconds' will result in a long bomb and give the safety way too much time to catch that route, unless he's already beat, in which you can still throw it in Madden but you have to use the directional passing to do it.

Post routes cutd arent until 7-10 yards down the field, how quickly are you trying to throw that exactly?

What he means is that in Madden previously and 2K, the passes were much more route based. No matter where the receiver was on his route when you pass, the pass will be along that route. In Madden how it is now, there is a window where you can throw it early, but for the most part, your passes are tethered to where the receiver is at the moment you pass, and what direction he happens to be facing at that moment, regardless of the route called.

The reason why many of us would like to have the passes not be like that is because:

1- It is unrealistic that the WR always knows where the ball is, even when the throw turns the route into a completely different one. and...

2- If the passes are totally route based, then it rewards the D for getting pressure, because if the QB throws early, it will be out of reach of the WR if he isn't close to finishing his route, as opposed to how it is now, where no matter how soon you get pressure, the game adjusts the route dynamically for you and the WR knows exactly when you threw it, where it is, and what route to change to, all with his back to you.

Yes you can do some route based passes in Madden currently with a small window, but the fact that passes are so strongly tethered most of the time, ruins what little RBP is in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »