Home

Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long

This is a discussion on Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #25
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Route-based passing: I've missed it for so long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Yeah, Only1LT is hitting the nail on the head. And while I agree, no QB is hitting an out route seconds after a WR makes a cut, it's an example of the game mechanics and how the game treats a pass before, during, and after a WR makes a cut. The pass is tethered to the WR, not the route.

I urge you guys to give it a try. Take a route such as a deep post or perhaps an out and up type of route. Throw the ball early, such as when the WR is making the "slant" in a sluggo route.

In the NFL, a proper rush should be able to, if nothing else, disrupt the QB and throw off timing, which can lead to picks, etc. In Madden, you can still make this throw so long as the WR is "open" at that given moment, regardless of the route he's running, his position, etc. Just throw the ball, and your QB and WR will be in sync. YES, some routes gets messed up, but I know I'm often able to hit routes at any point and the ball will find the WR, so long as he's open.

On the flip side, I've thrown passes too early, expecting to hit my WR between zone coverages, only to find my QB throwing right into coverage. For example, a deep post where I throw the ball, my WR doesn't cut yet, and I end up heaving a deep go route. Bam, I'm picked. Had my QB thrown based on the route (and no, pressing the directional stick in the direction of the post doesn't cause it to follow the route, it just leads my WR more to that side), it would've been a huge gain or, if nothing else, a grass ball. In that situation, if I throw the ball too early, my WR wouldn't have made his cut soon enough, and I would've been off in my timing. That could've led to a DB picking off the ball. In that situation, I should've learned, as a QB, to simply eat the sack instead of rushing my pass.

This is a major key for people that don't understand why we think this is needed. There is no real penalty for throwing passes in this game at anytime. If a defender comes free at the snap and you have only one second to pass, you don't even need to throw to a hot receiver. You could throw to some one running a deep corner, but as soon as the ball is thrown, the route has been changed, the receiver knows it, knows where the ball is, and the ball is placed in a position where, at worst, both the receiver and the defender can make a play on the ball. That's not right.

The D should be rewarded for that pressure, and the QB should have to think if it's worth it to throw the ball or to eat it, because the receiver won't just magically break off his route SOLELY because you threw it early, and the pass should still end up very near the optimal point of the receivers ORIGINAL route.

The problems with the tethered passing are that the D never really gets rewarded for getting early pressure, and you could theoretically close your eyes and just push the receiver's button, and still complete passes, because everything is altered on the fly for you, regardless of when you hit the button, or what is happening on the field.

I might be the only one who thinks this, and that's ok, but to me, that's a huge problem.

Last edited by Only1LT; 04-29-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #26
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Amen, brotha, amen.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #27
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I know where it's going. In fact, I expect him here soon lol.

And it's shudder, not shutter. Not trying to be an ***, just that I see this mistake a lot, and just passing along some friendly info, just in case it wasn't a simple typo.
I have never understood why such a "dynamite" suggestion like having a total control RBP button being placed BACK in Madden is met with such "explosive" opposition. Some people seem to have such a "short fuse" when it comes to even the smallest changes to Madden's current passing game and "blow up" at the slightest suggestion of it.

I have been lurking here for a while!LOL
Old 04-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #28
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
I have never understood why such a "dynamite" suggestion like having a total control RBP button being placed BACK in Madden is met with such "explosive" opposition. Some people seem to have such a "short fuse" when it comes to even the smallest changes to Madden's current passing game and "blow up" at the slightest suggestion of it.

I have been lurking here for a while!LOL

To quote Broncos:

Amen brotha. Amen lol.

And by the way, I see what you did there lol.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #29
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
To quote Broncos:

Amen brotha. Amen lol.

And by the way, I see what you did there lol.
All jokes aside, I have been wondering why EA can't just add a total control RBP mechanic into the current Madden passing system without mapping an entire button for it. If they just made the "normal press" of the icon passing button be a total control RBP and the "hold down/bullet throw" be throwing directly at the receiver, I think that would be a quick and seamless fix.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #30
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
All jokes aside, I have been wondering why EA can't just add a total control RBP mechanic into the current Madden passing system without mapping an entire button for it. If they just made the "normal press" of the icon passing button be a total control RBP and the "hold down/bullet throw" be throwing directly at the receiver, I think that would be a quick and seamless fix.
Exactly. And a WR has no business making a play on the ball if he wasn't looking back for it. If that WR is busy running his route and isn't looking, that ball needs to sail right by him.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:48 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Yeah, Only1LT is hitting the nail on the head. And while I agree, no QB is hitting an out route seconds after a WR makes a cut, it's an example of the game mechanics and how the game treats a pass before, during, and after a WR makes a cut. The pass is tethered to the WR, not the route.

I urge you guys to give it a try. Take a route such as a deep post or perhaps an out and up type of route. Throw the ball early, such as when the WR is making the "slant" in a sluggo route.

In the NFL, a proper rush should be able to, if nothing else, disrupt the QB and throw off timing, which can lead to picks, etc. In Madden, you can still make this throw so long as the WR is "open" at that given moment, regardless of the route he's running, his position, etc. Just throw the ball, and your QB and WR will be in sync. YES, some routes gets messed up, but I know I'm often able to hit routes at any point and the ball will find the WR, so long as he's open.

On the flip side, I've thrown passes too early, expecting to hit my WR between zone coverages, only to find my QB throwing right into coverage. For example, a deep post where I throw the ball, my WR doesn't cut yet, and I end up heaving a deep go route. Bam, I'm picked. Had my QB thrown based on the route (and no, pressing the directional stick in the direction of the post doesn't cause it to follow the route, it just leads my WR more to that side), it would've been a huge gain or, if nothing else, a grass ball. In that situation, if I throw the ball too early, my WR wouldn't have made his cut soon enough, and I would've been off in my timing. That could've led to a DB picking off the ball. In that situation, I should've learned, as a QB, to simply eat the sack instead of rushing my pass.
This is exactly correct. I've done it many times where I have a dig route called. A deep dig, but I throw the ball WAY early because the pressure got there. MY receiver has beaten the jam at the line and it goes for an 80 yard TD as if it was a go route. There is a lot of complexity with this. It can also be argued that the receiver is seeing the pressure and is looking for the ball (far fetched to convince me of this in Madden today). In real life, most passing systems in the NFL have LOTS of option routes which depend on the receiver being able to read the coverage and understanding when he is the "hot" receiver. However, this really changes his route completely, it doesn't warrant simply throwing the ball sooner. This is why the robo QB is a problem for those of you who play the cpu. The ball comes out no matter the pressure and the WR magically warps to the ball despite his route. The play called could have been a deep out and he will magically look for the ball after running 5 yards.

There is absolutely zero route based passing in Madden. It's not that the passing system is broken. It's not bad, could use some tweaking. However, I want the ability to throw the ball to the spot based on the route. APF2k8 does this amazingly, and NFL Fever did it even better back in the day. The example described above about the deep post is spot on.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #32
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Count my vote for RBP.

It's not just about the passing. It's about the pass rush too. What good is pressure if it doesn't force mistakes?

Someone mentioned throwing the ball away. Just like they added pumpfakes to specific WRs, they need a modifyer for throw-aways towards specific WRs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »