Home

Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View?

This is a discussion on Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View?
Yes 23 28.40%
No 39 48.15%
Maybe, if implemented differently 19 23.46%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlordos7
Here's my fix idea:

First, one of the triggers is now a pass button.

Take the god view camera, zoom it in some (not a ton, think of it as a halfway point between madden and backbreaker) to where you can't see the entire field at one time, but you can still see most of it, say...70%.

All your receivers still have icons, but hitting the icon for (example) my (X) receiver doesn't pass it to (X) receiver, it just shifts focus to him, much like the vision cone system (if he's in the same general area as the currently focused receiver the camera won't change at all, since it still shows a good amount of the field at all times). You have to be "focused" or selected on your receiver to throw it to them with the new pass button.

I feel this could work if they implemented it well and in a way to where users could still get passes off lightning quick after deciding where to go with it. It takes away most of the frustration with accidentally hitting the wrong receiver button (hopefully you'll have time to switch to the right one before taking a sack), it simulates reads and checkdowns and etc., but it doesn't make it impossible or entirely human either.

Edit: I should note, with the new camera angle, the biggest difference isn't that it's zoomed in, it's that it's lower (closer to the level of the field) and slightly more upfield, meaning you can't see ten yards behind your quarterback for pressure coming from behind, but maybe cut that in half or so. It is still slightly zoomed as well, however.
I personally think that's a great idea and have thought about something similar myself. The only difference being the right analog stick directions being assigned to different receivers instead of the buttons.

That said, it would still be changing from the current passing mechanic and altering the cam view. After the fiasco that was QB Vision, I don't believe EA would be willing to add anything that deviates too far from the proven acceptable status quo. That's why I am asking do people believe fog of war could accomplish that.

I also believe there are better ways then this but with Madden it seems to be more about what's acceptable by the masses.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #18
Banned

Re: Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Have fun playing multiplayer on the same TV, with that view.
Which view?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
I don't disagree but that would be a new mechanic that is not currently in Madden. I personally would like to see EA implement the most challenging "sim" mechanic that could invent but we both know that ain't no haps. LOL

So I am hoping there can be some sort of feature that can be added to improve the current system's realism, without too drastic a change.
It's not currently in Madden, but how hard is the mechanic to master ? Tap the button once to highlight the wr and tap it again to throw the ball. I believe that people hated the vision cone because of two reason: it was a pain to implement, and the look of the cone on the field was an eye sore to a lot of people. Having to hold down the R2 button while pressing the icons once to switch to a receiver, and again to throw the ball is cumbersome to some. Trying to use the right-stick was just too hard. It's much easier to tap a button once and then tap it again.

The blindside problem can also be addressed. When someone is coming from the blindside, the rumble shouldn't happen. When it's not from the blindside, make the controller rumble.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlievN5
yeah, no. what about the opposing player? how would he see what's going on? the most appropriate way was always the vision cone. i can't think of anything that would perfectly simulate that better. it was so balanced for O and D.
Quote:

I think the defense should remain the same without "fog of war" being used. If playing another user on the same console, the "fog of war" should be displayed unless a user controlled defender is in the distorted area. This would correct the imbalance of power the offense has over the defense in Madden. Also, it would be fair because both teams are going to eventually be playing defense.

Thoughts?
Online, the D would see the same way they do now. Head to head on the same console would be more restrictive but fair because both users have to deal with it on offense and defense.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
It's not currently in Madden, but how hard is the mechanic to master ? Tap the button once to highlight the wr and tap it again to throw the ball. I believe that people hated the vision cone because of two reason: it was a pain to implement, and the look of the cone on the field was an eye sore to a lot of people. Having to hold down the R2 button while pressing the icons once to switch to a receiver, and again to throw the ball is cumbersome to some. Trying to use the right-stick was just too hard. It's much easier to tap a button once and then tap it again.

The blindside problem can also be addressed. When someone is coming from the blindside, the rumble shouldn't happen. When it's not from the blindside, make the controller rumble.
You are preaching to the choir Liquor but easy and acceptable are two different things. Also, another issue with QB Vision that you didn't mention was that people could actually see wide open receivers but had to use a different mechanic to accurately deliver the pass. A double tap mechanic is easier but still requires people to break their habit of one button press passing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #22
Pro

OVR: 5

To make this work really well would there need to be a retooling of the Oline mechanic? I might be wrong (and I havent played Madden in a while), but if I remember right, it feels like the time the OLine holds in a game is less than that in a real game. So if we as players need to take more time to read the D and WRs wont we need more time for the OLine to hold up?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Online, the D would see the same way they do now. Head to head on the same console would be more restrictive but fair because both users have to deal with it on offense and defense.
why would the defense have to deal with it?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 PM   #24
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACardAttack
To make this work really well would there need to be a retooling of the Oline mechanic? I might be wrong (and I havent played Madden in a while), but if I remember right, it feels like the time the OLine holds in a game is less than that in a real game. So if we as players need to take more time to read the D and WRs wont we need more time for the OLine to hold up?
The line mechanics in game actually allow a QB considerably more time in the pocket than in real life. Almost up to a full second more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »