Home

Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View?

This is a discussion on Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View?
Yes 23 28.40%
No 39 48.15%
Maybe, if implemented differently 19 23.46%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #49
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331
This won't change because its not something really practical to look into changing.
The Passing Cone was a nice idea, but in order for it to work you had to move an analog stick, while probably moving another analog stick with your finger on the buttong to pass to a receiver. Thats a lot to ask of in 3 seconds or less of time in these games to pass for a lot of video game players.
I just don't see the need to really change this at all, and I don't feel it will be changed. People always want the most realistic experience, but this is the best we can get to make the most people happy.

If you work for EA, I could understand this statement, but as a gamer, I don't see why that would concern you.

I'm pretty sure other gamers don't care if you're unhappy lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #50
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: Would "Fog Of War" Be An Acceptable Addition To Madden's Default Passing View?

The best answer to the passing game is the double tap system. Just like IRL a QB can only follow one target at a time. To change targets you tap the respective target button once to locatehim then again to throw it to him. All EA football game players are already use to tapping once so it won't be a major difference. The more aware your QB the quicker he locates additional targets. So Peyton Manning will be able to go through his targets super quick while Cam Newton would take what may seem like forever to do so. Double tap provides a much needed sim feel to the QB position with out the major overhaul.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #51
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
EA's in a tight spot with the differentiation thing; if they don't, then people will complain that they spent $60 twice on the same game, but if they do, then we have complaints like this (not that the complaints aren't legitimate, however).

And I absolutely agree that home-field advantage should play a part in the Madden games; maybe not to the same extent as NCAA (it's still there, but a bit toned down from what it was in the PS2 days when it was ridiculous), but it definitely should be there. The New England Patriots, for example, have won 86% of their home games since the start of the 2003 season.
I disagree I don't think any consumer would complain about good idea being in both games. If anything it's common sense both games are football after all.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #52
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
The best answer to the passing game is the double tap system. Just like IRL a QB can only follow one target at a time. To change targets you tap the respective target button once to locatehim then again to throw it to him. All EA football game players are already use to tapping once so it won't be a major difference. The more aware your QB the quicker he locates additional targets. So Peyton Manning will be able to go through his targets super quick while Cam Newton would take what may seem like forever to do so. Double tap provides a much needed sim feel to the QB position with out the major overhaul.

To me, that's the biggest issue with double tap. It changes nothing save for an extra button press. You still do everything else exactly the same. If making passing more realistic is your goal, I can't see how this accomplishes that.

Maybe if you made a significant delay between the first button press to look and the second to throw. If you can just hit X, X, and as fast as you can hit it, the QB turns and throws, then you've just added about a 10 millisecond difference to what you already do.

Maybe that makes all the difference for some, but to me, that's just business as usual.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #53
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
I disagree I don't think any consumer would complain about good idea being in both games. If anything it's common sense both games are football after all.
Totally agree.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #54
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
To me, that's the biggest issue with double tap. It changes nothing save for an extra button press. You still do everything else exactly the same. If making passing more realistic is your goal, I can't see how this accomplishes that.

Maybe if you made a significant delay between the first button press to look and the second to throw. If you can just hit X, X, and as fast as you can hit it, the QB turns and throws, then you've just added about a 10 millisecond difference to what you already do.

Maybe that makes all the difference for some, but to me, that's just business as usual.
Did you not read it? LOL I said how quickly a QB locate their secondary target will be impacted by his awareness rating.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
People wouldn't like it.......

I remember another football game many years ago had 1st person view for QB passing and pretty much every player. That game failed terrible because people didn't like it and wanted to see the whole field.

Hell even now you got people complaining that the field view still isn't big enough and the field size isn't big enough.

I can't think the name of the game but it was on the PS one or PS2.

Comparatively to photos of real NFL fields Madden does not look wide enough
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #56
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

Quote:
Did you not read it? LOL I said how quickly a QB locate their secondary target will be impacted by his awareness rating.
Sorry, I was using your post as an example for those who want it to be a quick double tap method, which is what I see the most.

I still don't think it is the best implementation, even with a delay, and still isn't much diff than what we currently have. The main reason being that you can still see all the receivers at once and you never have to actually highlight anyone except for the receiver that you decide to finally throw to.

Is it better? Slightly, yes, but the whole mechanic becomes a waste of time. You could just as easily accomplish what you want to do by just changing the QB's animation to actually setup slower to throw to the receiver. The worse the awareness, the longer/ slower the animation. Now you mimic your double tap system, and again, you still see the whole field, but you hit the button once and wait, as opposed to hit the button once and wait and hit it again.

If you can do the same thing with a new animation as you can with a new control mechanic, then is the control mechanic really changing much, is my question?

That's a better illustration of my ambivalence towards a double tap method.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »