Home

Madden NFL 12 Screenshot - DeMarcus Ware

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Screenshot - DeMarcus Ware within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #57
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 12 Screenshot - DeMarcus Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Keep in mind that the PS3 is restrictive in it's RAM usage. While the 360 has 512MB of RAM that's shareable between system and video, the PS3 dedicates 256MB for the system, and 256MB for video. If Madden only needs 128MB for the system, it can give the rest to the video for the 360. On the PS3, you're stuck with the allocation.
Madden, as well as many other games, uses the hard drive as extra RAM. There are also ways to use the cell to compensate in areas as well. It isn't as ideal as having more dedicated RAM, but many games are able to work with, or even overcome if you will, the limitations of the PS3 architecture.

Again, most of this is done by first party developers which shows that it can be done, if the time is put into utilizing what is there. That is the biggest question that 3rd party devs have to grapple with. Do we spend the extra time and effort to really make the PS3 version stellar and optimize it for its architecture, or do we just port it over as is and get it in the ballpark of the 360 version?

The 360 is like a PC. Games are developed in C++ and C#. The architecture for the 360 is, likewise, PC like.

It would behoove Sony to design their next console to be more similar to what devs are used to. Either that or make sure that they are first to market to ensure that they are the console that the games are developed for as opposed to ported to.

I think most devs have the same attitude as Valve did, before they did their somewhat mea culpa. Nobody wants to put in the time to learn how to develop games for the PS3, when they already know how to develop games for PC.

Last edited by Only1LT; 05-03-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:25 PM   #58
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Even with the hard drive being used, and even with the most advanced of processors, the PS3 is still limited by the I/O of the hard drive itself. It'd help, but it can't equate to the speed of RAM (IMO). Even the newest 6Gb HDDs that are being put out by Seagate, etc can't compensate.

But yeah, I think Sony harmed themselves in terms of architecture and being too proprietary. The 360 is a quasi-PC, something developers are already familiar with.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
He's refering to the way the Cowboys cut the sleeves on their open sleeve (i.e. QB) jerseys. Note how the white portion below the bottom stripe has been removed.

Thanks for providing photographic evidence. I was too lazy to do that ha. But yes now we all see the deal here.
Its one of those wishful thinking things nothing that in anyway I would complain about.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #60
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Even with the hard drive being used, and even with the most advanced of processors, the PS3 is still limited by the I/O of the hard drive itself. It'd help, but it can't equate to the speed of RAM (IMO). Even the newest 6Gb HDDs that are being put out by Seagate, etc can't compensate.

But yeah, I think Sony harmed themselves in terms of architecture and being too proprietary. The 360 is a quasi-PC, something developers are already familiar with.
You are only half right.

While there is no substitute for more RAM and a better GPU, the techniques available obviously do help, as there are games on the PS3 that look just as good, if not better, than the best games on the 360.

It's not magic lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #61
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
You are only half right.

While there is no substitute for more RAM and a better GPU, the techniques available obviously do help, as there are games on the PS3 that look just as good, if not better, than the best games on the 360.

It's not magic lol.
You're certainly correct there. The PS3 is a powerful box... when a developer decides to harness the power.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 0
HUGE!!! upgrade from last year.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 6
Grass stain, detail in the uniform makes this pic look very good. My excitement is building up towards this game.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 AM   #64

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Is that sweat on his arms or am I seeing things?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »