Home

Running in 11

This is a discussion on Running in 11 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Unhappy Running in 11

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had advice for how to run. I am using the team from Western Pa, and a CAP for running back. I have played two full games and honestly can not run at all. I have never had this much trouble running in any game. I am using the current Playmakers sliders, and just dont know what to do. I dont know what sliders to adjust to make that part of game more realistic to my play style and not ruin the other parts as the rest of the game is not bad for me. I am talking serous trouble running, like 20+ carries averaging less then a yard a crack. I try to be patient but it is like the defense swarms me as soon as I get to the line. Any advice will help.

thanks in advance

shark
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Running in 11

I have had this same problem the last few year with running in Madden. In the next-gen Madden's it is very difficult to run because of all the suction, morphing, and poor O-line blocking. Because of this you literally have to have a wide open running lane to be able to run the ball. It is almost impossible to run between the hashmarks. Also, it is almost impossible to properly juke somebody without them actually grabbing you and a "break tackle" animation playing. The suction in this game does not allow the user to really juke, spin, etc in the open field properly.

The developers claim they have a new tackling system this year that eliminates all the suction and morphing from previous years. It is also supposed to take momentum, speed, and weight into account as well. This would go a LONG way to making running the football more fun. I guess we will have to wait and see if this actually works as advertised this year....
Old 05-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie58
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had advice for how to run. I am using the team from Western Pa, and a CAP for running back. I have played two full games and honestly can not run at all. I have never had this much trouble running in any game. I am using the current Playmakers sliders, and just dont know what to do. I dont know what sliders to adjust to make that part of game more realistic to my play style and not ruin the other parts as the rest of the game is not bad for me. I am talking serous trouble running, like 20+ carries averaging less then a yard a crack. I try to be patient but it is like the defense swarms me as soon as I get to the line. Any advice will help.

thanks in advance

shark
You probably want to post over in sliders forum to get more feedback and ideas. For now let me see what I can do to help:

1. Before we even get to sliders, M11 offered some facets of the running game that IMO were more real life than in the past. Points to keep in mind: a. Don't touch the sprint button. The Defenders come off their blocks faster when you do that. Hit sprint only in open field.
b. Follow and read your blocks. You can't just go to the spot where the hole is supposed to be. Be prepared to cut in sooner or bounce out. Know what the key block is on every running play and/or where the double team block is. You usually want to cut off the double team.
c. Use play art to look at the blocking scheme. I've noticed for example that I'm in single back formation running a dive and the NT is double teamed but the LB is unblocked! Going ahead and running that play is suicide. To the game's credit, that unblocked LB is usually going to stuff you at the line. Audible to something else, flip sides, whatever but make sure the front 7 guys have a man on them (unless it's an outside guy...sometimes you don't have to block them on certain plays.).
d. Audible......just like in real life if you call a running play and they've got 8 guys in the box, continuing to try to run against that isn't going to work. Audible to a pass play (but watch for blitzers, get rid of the ball quick). IE. I was playing as the Steelers against the Jags the other night and was looking forward to a nice ground and pound game. Well the Jags continually came out in 7 and 8 man fronts making running really tough. I started calling pass plays from 3-4 WR sets to force them into other defenses less run oriented. When they finally did (I had to throw way more passes than I intended) I could audible to a run against a 5 or 6 man front and have more success.
e. Know your blockers ratings. If I'm the Vikes it makes far more sense for me to run left with Hutchinson over there than to the right. Study your roster, know who the good run blockers are.
f. By the same token, know the D. Trying to run at Suh all day is a waste of time.
These are just real life issues to deal with running the ball. This game to it's credit is not just an arcade game where you can run with impunity. I have games where I get destroyed running the ball too. But most of the time my back ends up with a tidy 4 ypc average (like 21 carries 85 yards etc.).

2. Regarding sliders......you'll get all sorts of advice as to which ones are best or best for you. I can say this: Lower the cpu run reaction, tackling, and block shed.....and/or raise human runblock, and break tackle. In the beginning, I had to make it easier for myself to have any running game at all. As I got better (and smarter) I was able to lower the sliders back to a more challenging level.
Hope this helps and post in the slider forum for more help on that.
PS.....I have my own set of sliders that work for me. It's on all madden though. Maybe check my numbers, and those of other sets to get an idea of what you may want to do. At all costs avoid Jarrod's set....He's totally insane and even looking at his sliders will set your running game back 3 levels.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 05-04-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I have had this same problem the last few year with running in Madden. In the next-gen Madden's it is very difficult to run because of all the suction, morphing, and poor O-line blocking. Because of this you literally have to have a wide open running lane to be able to run the ball. It is almost impossible to run between the hashmarks. Also, it is almost impossible to properly juke somebody without them actually grabbing you and a "break tackle" animation playing. The suction in this game does not allow the user to really juke, spin, etc in the open field properly.

The developers claim they have a new tackling system this year that eliminates all the suction and morphing from previous years. It is also supposed to take momentum, speed, and weight into account as well. This would go a LONG way to making running the football more fun. I guess we will have to wait and see if this actually works as advertised this year....
Have to respectfully disagree with you. Check out my other post for why if interested. You're right about suctioning etc. I just don't think the game is that hard to run if you do things right and have a good set of sliders. My run games are a mix of getting stuffed, having a normal day and slashing the D.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
Have to respectfully disagree with you. Check out my other post for why if interested. You're right about suctioning etc. I just don't think the game is that hard to run if you do things right and have a good set of sliders. My run games are a mix of getting stuffed, having a normal day and slashing the D.

I agree with this...I play with a modified version of Jerrod's sliders (which i think are a little harder than Pmakers) and I have sucess running with Benjarvis Green-Ellis and Fred Taylor. You need to be patient in two ways. 1. On each run, let holes open and then attack (I tend to run inside a lot) 2. The whole game (I have games were I have ran 20 times for 52yards and then I start getting a little more each carry and then I may finish with 30 carries for 110 yards

If sliders are a issue just adjust Run Offense and decrease the CPU's Run defense until you find the right mix...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
I fully agree with this. I'm using Jarodd's sliders (which are commonly considered to be the hardest) for my current fantasy franchise and I'm regularly killing the CPU on the ground. Of course you will get stuffed often, there's no way around that, if you don't get stuffed regularly, your rushing difficulty is too low. You just have to keep at it, wait for the hole to open and then rush through it.

Rushing in 11 on highest difficulty is all about quickness, both from the player on the screen and from you. You need to read your blocking assignments and the defensive setup presnap and after the snap. For example, you'll always want to have the defenders directly next to the hole you hit to be double blocked, running with a lead blocker can be a huge help because if someone gets off their block, he can push them out of the running lane to keep it open.

After the snap, don't look at your back, watch the front seven. If you call a dive and both the MLBs blitz, you immediately need to decide whether the bump the play to the outside (you need a fast back to do this) or just plow in. Sometimes running straight into the blitz can lead to huge plays, especially with a great back like AP because if you got a lead blocker with high Impact Block rating he can block a hole open and if you manage to hit it before they catch up with you from the side or behind you've got daylight right in front of you.

If you say they're stacking the middle presnap, audibling to an outside run like Power O (or even Sweep/Toss plays but those are more risky and should only be used with fast backs) can make you get away from the pressure fast.

Rushing in M11 is about patience and quickness, you need patience because as I said, you will get stuffed often, and you need quickness to take the opportunity when the defense gives it to you.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
I agree with this...I play with a modified version of Jerrod's sliders (which i think are a little harder than Pmakers)
That might be the understatement of the month Playmakers like many others here are All-Pro sliders, they don't even come close to the challenge of Jarodd's sliders.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

I'm jumped in to drop my 2cents but MJ, J.Murph, and Delta pretty much nailed everything you need to know about running the ball.. I have nothing to say..

Last edited by Jarodd21; 05-04-2011 at 10:48 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »