Home

Does Anybody Feel Like...

This is a discussion on Does Anybody Feel Like... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #33
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Does Anybody Feel Like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
Boy, I must be in a minority......I don't have major issues with M11 as far as gameplay. I don't disagree with the things people see and complain about but somehow they don't bother me very much. I'm getting great games, and enjoying myself (and cursing at the game when the cpu does a pick 6).
My biggest gripe is the franchise mode and to be honest, if they had the exact same franchise mode as madden 07 for LG I'd be thrilled.
Maybe it's all new to me. Got my first big plasma TV this year as well as a ps3 and next gen madden. I'm thrilled to death....sorry guys.....
BTw....everyone is raving about the presentation (at least what we've seen) and while there are some more correct details, I thought M10 and M11 both had a decent presentation. They've got the stadiums and team entrances etc. Yes it's annoying that all teams are the same but hopefully that's fixed this year. I'm more excited about Madden this year than ever.....now if franchise mode is another dud I'll lose that excitement real fast but will still enjoy playing.

Yeah you are.....and so am I. Madden 11 is no doubt the best they have had since 2007. Madden 10 was a great step and 11 refined it. But I am very hopeful they have made the tightest Madden to date with 12. Now I have to disagree with you on presentation. It is very sub par. I found it to be a hack job on the play by play and color. The presentation is very lackluster all the way around and was a step back from 2010. Like you if they really have revamped the franchise mode I will be a pig in ****.

I have read dozens of threads and hundreds of posts here talking about NFL2K5. I own that game on XBOX and yes....no question it is a classic. But I can't play it anymore. I just can't. It is so last gen. The only thing that is still timeless and holds up so well is the amazing presentation and the deep and immersive franchise mode. Gameplay? I have long since moved on. Madden 11 is my football game (until Madden 12).

That is what is missing from Madden this gen and I like the OP have this good feeling we are going to get something pretty damm special from EA Tiburon in Madden 12. I think they are going to make a major stride with the revamped camera work. I feel they are going to come through with giving franchise mode a fresh feeling and giving us a lot of things we have wanted. I think the new tackling will be a great new gameplay enhancement. Also I am really curious how the new pump fake system works. The upgraded defensive AI should also be a nice enhancement.

I have been keeping my expectations low.....but after seeing the PR machine...yeah you can say I am buying all the hype. And after May 16th I am pretty confident I will be pre-ordereing the game.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 05-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #34
Rookie

Patriots#12's Arena

OVR: 0

I hope so.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
It would seem that way...I'm really holding my breath for Franchise mode though. I had minor complaints about M11 gameplay but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Just hoping that put back in the old gen features:
1. Talk radio show
2. Front office stuff (ticket prices, etc.)
3. Emails from disgruntled players.
4. Newspaper stories about your game.
5. The ability to build a new stadium without relocating the team.
6. Scouting reports on you and your opponents.
etc.
dont forget training camp. ill buy 12 just for training camp
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Other than graphics I'd say no. People will hate me saying this but the more I think about it the more I think this is true: exclusivity has caused an entire generation of football gamers to become detached from what we once had, and should now expect from football games now. We haven't seen any Madden 12 gameplay so no determination can be made yet. But if NCAA 12 is any indication, the games still haven't surpassed what's already been done. There are just so many core/key areas it looks like last gen games will still be ahead of their next gen predecessors:

- player movement (which affects every aspect of gameplay)
- ball physics, pass trajectory
- franchise depth
- extra features/value

I'm going to include a video I made years ago of NCAA 06 passing in practice mode; also made a few notations (I'm no good at it). I'd argue the gameplay looks far more organic than anything we've seen in NCAA 12 to date, and likely will look better than Madden 12 (remains to be seen). I think people are focusing on the addition of consecutive hit tackles and improved zone play while ignoring where games were last gen. Those additions would be huge for me if the player movement wasn't as bad as it is this generation. From a presentation standpoint the new games are improved, but can't say they're definitively better until we hear what the commentary sounds like and how the graphical overlays are implemented. Still, disappointing no halftime/post-game efforts are being made, not sure if things like telestrators w/appropriate commentary will be brought in during gameplay. But these were things that were in last gen games. Either way here's the NCAA 06 vid w/notes:

graet post.

Yes the OL/DL play was better last gen then any Madden are NCAA this gen.The only thing I hate about last gen was frame rates.(All the other stuff I could live with.)To bad were finally getting last gen stuff when this gen is just about over.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:59 AM   #37
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Truth is.....

People always build up the past and it becomes more and more legendary with time. Because when we had last gen games people still were saying "Madden sucks."

Now that its the past all of a sudden last gen Madden was so great. We're just never satisfied either way.

So I think Madden 12 will play great based on the videos we've seen. But I know these forums will also be full of "why can't they make Madden like '05 on ps2?"

Its just true.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #38
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Boy, I must be in a minority......I don't have major issues with M11 as far as gameplay. I don't disagree with the things people see and complain about but somehow they don't bother me very much. I'm getting great games, and enjoying myself (and cursing at the game when the cpu does a pick 6).
My biggest gripe is the franchise mode and to be honest, if they had the exact same franchise mode as madden 07 for LG I'd be thrilled. Maybe it's all new to me. Got my first big plasma TV this year as well as a ps3 and next gen madden. I'm thrilled to death....sorry guys.....
BTw....everyone is raving about the presentation (at least what we've seen) and while there are some more correct details, I thought M10 and M11 both had a decent presentation. They've got the stadiums and team entrances etc. Yes it's annoying that all teams are the same but hopefully that's fixed this year. I'm more excited about Madden this year than ever.....now if franchise mode is another dud I'll lose that excitement real fast but will still enjoy playing.
I'm with Armor & Sword....

I agree AND disagree.

I personally didn't "hate" Madden's gameplay the last few years even though I can see the areas people wanted improved.

Presenation however really killed the "life" of the game though. Maybe you're a one sport guy who's never played either of the baseball games or NBA 2K11. But it is a GIGANTIC difference in the TV-like broadcast feel.

But you'll see that in Madden this year and then I think you'll really understand the difference.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #39
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Truth is.....

People always build up the past and it becomes more and more legendary with time. Because when we had last gen games people still were saying "Madden sucks."

Now that its the past all of a sudden last gen Madden was so great. We're just never satisfied either way.

So I think Madden 12 will play great based on the videos we've seen. But I know these forums will also be full of "why can't they make Madden like '05 on ps2?"

Its just true.
I played some Madden on PS2 not so long ago, and I liked it more than any current-gen Madden. It's not because it's legendary, but because they have a pretty decent representation of football. Current gen consoles are much more advanced and powerful, yet they haven't delivered a Madden or NCAA that has stopped people from comparing with last gen EA and 2k games.

With FIFA the story is different. The second edition of FIFA on current gen consoles (FIFA 08) stopped almost all comparison to earlier editions of the games and the competition (PES). Madden/NCAA still hasn't delivered that kind of edition of their game yet. People are still comparing current gen with last gen and even late current gen with early current gen.

Interestingly enough PES is slowing recapturing many of the hardcore soccer gamers on current gen, which is, IMO, one of the main reasons why EA has upped it's game and will introduce real physics, improved passing and AI in FIFA 12.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM   #40
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
Truth is.....

Its just true.
First I don't think people are building up Madden on Ps2, and second, I think it is fair to expect to get more from a game that costs $60 dollars and was designed on newer consoles. Let's look at what I think ps2 did better and/or what I would expect to be better than the game is currently offering.

1. Game modes. PS2 offers a tournament mode with multiple styles of tournies to choose, a fantasy challenge mode, better mini games, deeper franchise mode and superstar modes and EA lockers allowing gamers to take a complete offline franchise online. Current Madden has only Madden moments and MUT, which cost extra. I'd say ps2 has the edge here.

2. Extras that are included. Madden ps2 has create a playbook, and create a play. They allow players to get franchise boosts by collecting Madden cards. When you went online, you got trophies for reaching passing/rushing milestones etc. Current Madden again charges for the boosts and doesn't offer the other features. Again, I think I can give ps2 an edge here.

3. On the field adjustments. Ps2 has individual bump/run shading, and man lock that works well. Current madden's man lock feature doesn't really work properly, but they did add the coverage adjustments for Madden 12. Probably about even in this area, but I certainly wouldn't say Current Madden is better here.

4. Gameplay. This is a bit tougher for me. Current Madden has made a few improvements, but have gone backwards in other areas. There are also problems that ps2 had that I just can't accept in current madden. For instance, run blocking is improved, but ps2 madden has better downfield blocking. Check out this Tim Tebow vid. At 1:15 Tebow has to blockers leading him to the end zone mirroring his every move. They even turn around at the goaline when he performs a spin move.

Another example is the dbs mirroring routes. It been in both games, but I can no longer accept it in current Madden. Remember this vid? That looks great and the defender is reacting instead of just knowing where to run. I've seen it done correctly now, so I expect current gen to beat ps2 in the area and it fails right now.

The final area I want to point out is precision passing, vision cone and ball trajectory. The vision cone and passing is preference thing, I know. I prefer the added difficulty it added without forcing me to adjust sliders like I have to now so I prefer the ps2 passing game. I also feel like current Madden should have improved ball trajectory so I can drop passes over an lb. It's a ps2 issue as well, but it's plagued Madden for so long that it's something I feel should have recieved some attention.

5. Finally, presentation. Ps2 is not the benchmark for presentation and it shouldn't be after all these years. The Show and NBA2k show presentation and copmmentary done well. I expect Madden to at least be able to compete in this area and so far it has failed miserable although 12 looks promising.

Sorry for the long rant, but I felt I had to get that off my chest. I hold ps2 in a legendary status and bash current Madden because imo it offered much, much more. Even in areas where current Madden exceeds the ps2, I have seen examples of how it can deliver so much more than it does.

To the OP, I am optimistic Madden 12 will be a solid game but it has a long ways to go just to match what ps2 delivered. Even further to match what other current sports games have done, at least for me.

Last edited by kjcheezhead; 05-08-2011 at 12:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »