Home

Does this game make you angry?

This is a discussion on Does this game make you angry? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2003, 02:46 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Does this game make you angry?

yeah madden bugs me and my buddy (on same team) when we play our franchise games. Some things are just so frustrating it makes me hate the game.

That is the thing about Madden...it can be incredible one min and suck *** the next.

My biggest beef with Madden this year is the pathetic punt return blocking. Only have 4 returns in a combined 4 games...and that is only because I used a punt block formation. Any normal punt return formation results in the defenders being around our returner BEFORE the ball gets there EVERY SINGLE TIME. Ugh. Also, the pass defense this year doesn't seem all that good...I don't give up a lot of yards but just the way the pass yards are given up is silly and so unrealistic.

It is almost like two diff groups of programmers do the game (one good, one lakcing skills/logic) and they throw each group's product together and we are left with Madden.

Whatever the case, IMO NCAA2004 beats Madden down with a bag of nickels.

Some advice......

on denfese try using the plays madden recommends. We started doing this 2 games ago (we are 4 games into season 1) and have been dominating on D. last game we had 8 picks and only gave up 7 completions on 30 attempts for about 70 yards. hahaha. I figure what Madden says gives an advantage since it is the AI choosing the play for you to....stop the AI.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:06 PM   #18
MVP

kweiss's Arena

OVR: 13

This game was driving me crazy, and I always felt like I ended up mad after playing it. But then I got some sliders from the sliders thread, and I am enjoying every minute of it.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:42 PM   #19
MVP

Meatloaf86's Arena

OVR: 11

i played the Cowboys game again. this time it was actually a game. i played a ball control offense. i won 37-13. their only TD was on a fumble return.

in the Cowboys game. i received like 5 punts. 3 of them i fumbled. you know when the ball is in the air and its coming down you can kind of see how the blocking is setting up and if there will be any opponents around you when you catch the ball. well there was only one guy coming at me and 2 of my guys teed off on the guy and layed him out. but wait as i catch the ball some guy comes flying in from the side and drills me. fumble. i did that 3 times.

there is no punt return blocking. then when i punt i have 4-5 guys surrounding the returner against only 2-3 blockers. the 3 dudes level all my guys and the returner breaks a huge run.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:00 PM   #20
Rookie

bgapfire's Arena

OVR: 2

I really do not understand the problems everyone has with Madden. I play defense absolutely fine. The games I play are very realistic. I play on all-pro. No issues with punt returns, pass d or running the football. I think a lot of folks just need to keep playing the game and adjust to what the offense is doing.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:29 PM   #21
Darth_Dorn

OVR:

Yeah, I do get frustrated at the way the computer runs their offense as well. Partly, I think it is me though. When they pass, I always switch to a DB then hit the swat button, which usually results in the DB do a standing-still, jumping swat attempt. This gives the receiver a second to gain some yards on me, and that usually results in enough to score a TD. Their spins work really good too, that's the big thing I don't like.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2003, 08:01 PM   #22
MVP

Meatloaf86's Arena

OVR: 11

ya when the computer spins they can usually break like 4 tackles.

my last 2 games now i've allowed a combined 320 yards or so. i've decided to say screw you Madden and i pick my own plays now on defense. usually with only 2 WR for the offense i use the 46 defense. with 3 WR i use the Dime defense. and with 4 WR i go with the Quarter defense.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:34 PM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:

deez said:
yeah madden bugs me and my buddy (on same team) when we play our franchise games. Some things are just so frustrating it makes me hate the game.

That is the thing about Madden...it can be incredible one min and suck *** the next.

My biggest beef with Madden this year is the pathetic punt return blocking. Only have 4 returns in a combined 4 games...and that is only because I used a punt block formation. Any normal punt return formation results in the defenders being around our returner BEFORE the ball gets there EVERY SINGLE TIME. Ugh. Also, the pass defense this year doesn't seem all that good...I don't give up a lot of yards but just the way the pass yards are given up is silly and so unrealistic.

It is almost like two diff groups of programmers do the game (one good, one lakcing skills/logic) and they throw each group's product together and we are left with Madden.

Whatever the case, IMO NCAA2004 beats Madden down with a bag of nickels.

Some advice......

on denfese try using the plays madden recommends. We started doing this 2 games ago (we are 4 games into season 1) and have been dominating on D. last game we had 8 picks and only gave up 7 completions on 30 attempts for about 70 yards. hahaha. I figure what Madden says gives an advantage since it is the AI choosing the play for you to....stop the AI.

About punt return blocking...

I find that (on all-pro difficulty) if you bump up the CPU punt length slider +2 from default, you have more success in returning a punt for some yardage.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:37 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 17

the key ingrediants to playing defense in MADDEN 2004:

1. patience
2. scouting player strengths & weaknesses
3. patience
4. use practice mode and play as the defense. EVERYONE wants to play as the offense. but select different formations and make it harder for yourself to stop the cpu offense. learn to adjust, when to dove, strafe, swat, sprint, angel off runner, even protential wr. learn to use the dline's special moves. learn when to rush a qb and when to sit back.
5. patience
6. practice your defense! practice your defense!practice your defense!practice your defense!practice your defense!practice your defense!practice your defense!practice your defense!practice your defense!practice your defense!practice your defense!

i love MADDEN 2004 this year because it will be a challenge through out the year. no more money plays, no more blow outs!...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »