Home

Bad Move to scrap Extra Point/Halftime Show

This is a discussion on Bad Move to scrap Extra Point/Halftime Show within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #65
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Bad Move to scrap Extra Point/Halftime Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baughn3
That's the wonderful thing about opinions.. you never have to justify them if you don't want. Honestly, I haven't played Madden since the halftime show was implemented so I have no idea what it was like. I just don't agree with people who believe their opinion is somehow superior to others.
It's about logic, not opinion. People seem to have this idea that EA removing the halftime show and not having one at all was somehow a necessary step in getting one in the future. I don't see how this is a logical argument at all.

My main beef is that them removing it completely is just an admittal on their behalf that it was trash. Meaning all the time/resources they wasted developing it could have been better used elsewhere. I'm tired of them moving in circles, introducing things, removing them then reintroducing them later. How are they supposed to innovate and move forward when they're busy chasing their own tail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
I know there are a lot of people that worship 2k5 but a highlight show that is over 5 minutes long is a bit much in my opinion. Also that 2k5 highlight show is pretty boring as it is. At its time it was awesome for sure but it is 2011 now and instead of trying to be 2k5 I am sure the Madden developers can evolve that and create something even better. The only thing is will the 2k fans be able to accept evolution? I have a feeling that unless the Madden team made a highlight show that was the exact same as the one in 2k5 there is always going to be people hating.
The question isn't will 2k fans be able to accept evolution, who cares. The real question is when is EA going to evolve past a game that was released 7 years ago.

Last edited by poopoop; 05-14-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #66
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
It's about logic, not opinion. People seem to have this idea that EA removing the halftime show and not having one at all was somehow a necessary step in getting one in the future. I don't see how this is a logical argument at all.

My main beef is that them removing it completely is just an admittal on their behalf that it was trash. Meaning all the time/resources they wasted developing it could have been better used elsewhere. I'm tired of them moving in circles, introducing things, removing them then reintroducing them later. How are they supposed to innovate and move forward when they're busy chasing their own tail.

LOL.

10 Char.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #67
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

I could care less about Extra Point. Never really enjoyed EP, never really enjoyed the weekly update, show or whatever it was for NFL2k5.

What I would like though is a halftime/post game highlight/summary show ala 2k5. I thought that was pretty well done. There's no reason something similiar shouldn't be in Madden by now.

Much like in game saves stuff like this should be in every sports video game by now. It is the year 2011.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #68
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I could care less about Extra Point. Never really enjoyed EP, never really enjoyed the weekly update, show or whatever it was for NFL2k5.

What I would like though is a halftime/post game highlight/summary show ala 2k5. I thought that was pretty well done. There's no reason something similiar shouldn't be in Madden by now.

Much like in game saves stuff like this should be in every sports video game by now. It is the year 2011.
I agree with all of this for the in-game stuff. Never got the fascination with the weekly highlight shows though. I think I actually enjoyed EAs radio show just as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
Personally, I'd rather have news paper articles for every team like The Show. If they had stuff like game stats, player/team stats, team standings, injuries, transactions around the leauge, etc. I'd prefer a newspaper that highlights all of that each week for each team rather than a redundant highlight show.
This is the main thing I want. At least have an online type setup with stories like NBA 2k11 and even NCAA has. Get some big stories/ transactions/injury updates from around the league for one main newspaper/site, then have a local one for all the teams. No need for a show imo.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #69
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Yea I really don't care too much for it either unless they decide to add game breaks, halftime highlights, post game highlights, and summary for it. Highlights from other games is the main thing I wanna see with this.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #70
MVP

berad88's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Ok.............if you don't want to watch it just press the button! Just saying your reasoning made no sense about what is and isn't real. I think most of us are aware the highlights are not real especially since it is a video game. Going back to your 2k5 reasoning lol. Let's be honest, how many years has it been since that game was released? Has EA matched or surpassed that when it comes to presentation? Just asking so don't flip out if some of us would like to see something different other than a stats page at halftime.
I guess I would rather just play the game instead of watching the game by sitting through long highlight shows. If I wanted to do that I could turn off the console and turn on ESPN. I just hope that EA finds a way to do it well and does not just try to copy what was already done in 2k5. I will give it a chance.

If the extra point had an occasional highlight and showed the scores of every single game it would be pretty close to what 2k5 had with their ESPN show. Sure EA might not of matched it but they came pretty close in the pathetic attempt that they did make.

I never played The Show but from what people are saying on here that sounds like the best way to go using the newspaper style system to deliver the information. An actual highlight show that you watch is just doomed to start repeating stuff.

Last edited by berad88; 05-14-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #71
One Last Job

TracerBullet's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by berad88
I guess I would rather just play the game instead of watching the game by sitting through long highlight shows. If I wanted to do that I could turn off the console and turn on ESPN. I just hope that EA finds a way to do it well and does not just try to copy what was already done in 2k5. I will give it a chance.

If the extra point had an occasional highlight and showed the scores of every single game it would be pretty close to what 2k5 had with their ESPN show. Sure EA might not of matched it but they came pretty close in the pathetic attempt that they did make.

I never played The Show but from what people are saying on here that sounds like the best way to go using the newspaper style system to deliver the information. An actual highlight show that you watch is just doomed to start repeating stuff.
Well, no matter what you do it will repeat eventually, but its much less of an annoyance to get info that way, instead of hearing the same commentary ran into the ground.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 4

I think OP partially misspoke when he made the title.

I think he meant to say it's a bad move that EA is scrapping Extra Point/Halftime and not replacing them with anything.

But removing Extra Point/Halftime in and of itself is a great move, because it was horribly implemented.

It's all about EA's second move after scrapping Extra Point. Will they do the innovative thing and create a replacement or regress back and disappoint in this key presentation area once again? I'm hoping it's the previous.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »