Home

Question about expanded rosters/ free agents

This is a discussion on Question about expanded rosters/ free agents within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Question about expanded rosters/ free agents

So I don't think anybodies brought this up yet but now thats its been confirmed that in offline franchise mode you will start with 75 players and need to make cuts and can add guys to replace guys on the IR one question has been bugging me. How are they planning on increasing the free agent pool to make this possible?

Obviously EA has never put in every available free agent due to lack of disc space/time and due to bare minimum rosters with no working IR system they didn't really need to, but now that literally every team will need to have at least 75 players on their rosters to start the pre-season how will they make this work? I mean anyone who really wants to can find the names of hundreds of unsigned players who were available last season but weren't included. So that leads to my question

Are they going to just add a ton of generic players who can be edited(wouldnt mind) or are they really going to do research and add in tons of previously not included free agents(including guys like Kordell Stewart, charles Rogers who haven't played in years but are technically still available for signing, UFL guys, Arena league guys, every single undrafted rookie). Has anybody heard any rumblings about this or have any theories?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2011, 01:49 AM   #2
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Question about expanded rosters/ free agents

The first time you'll have to worry about having a 75 man roster is after a full year in franchise mode, so you'll have the draft plus the free agents to fill your 75 spots. It'll work. There will obviously be more players in a certain position, but it'll work.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
TLF
Rookie

TLF's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd
So I don't think anybodies brought this up yet but now thats its been confirmed that in offline franchise mode you will start with 75 players and need to make cuts and can add guys to replace guys on the IR one question has been bugging me. How are they planning on increasing the free agent pool to make this possible?

Obviously EA has never put in every available free agent due to lack of disc space/time and due to bare minimum rosters with no working IR system they didn't really need to, but now that literally every team will need to have at least 75 players on their rosters to start the pre-season how will they make this work? I mean anyone who really wants to can find the names of hundreds of unsigned players who were available last season but weren't included. So that leads to my question

Are they going to just add a ton of generic players who can be edited(wouldnt mind) or are they really going to do research and add in tons of previously not included free agents(including guys like Kordell Stewart, charles Rogers who haven't played in years but are technically still available for signing, UFL guys, Arena league guys, every single undrafted rookie). Has anybody heard any rumblings about this or have any theories?
im Hoping by adding all the talented Rookies and that are still out there , that went undrafted

and most likely adding the FA data base with everyone know player that is a NFL target to play for a team this season

but its True if Every team in the Franchuse has that many , can there be enough or will the players in FA just be Camp Fodder
Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
The first time you'll have to worry about having a 75 man roster is after a full year in franchise mode, so you'll have the draft plus the free agents to fill your 75 spots. It'll work. There will obviously be more players in a certain position, but it'll work.
I would think you would have the 75 man roster before your first season. If the season starts sometime soon the rosters will balloon up to 75 players pretty quick and I'm assuming they'd be able to get those rosters on to Madden before shipping. This sure would be the ideal situation to have your Madden roster battle while the real NFL is going through preseason. Hopefully the NFL gets it's stuff together so I can enjoy real NFL with my Madden.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 31

I would think that there will be more rookies that go undrafted than normal to help fill out the free agent list. Hopefully there will be more players that carry over from NCAA Football's draft classes if you chose to carry them over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 AM   #6
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

OVR: 6

I have never, in any version of Madden seen the free agent pool to small to support 75 man rosters. As long as the logic behind it works and CPU teams do not over load constantly certain positions, there should be no problem. I would expect them though to make much more use of undrafted free agents however, I hope atleast.

As for expanding the free agent pool, I really hope they only do it with the initial roster. In past years the pool was way to large in Dynasty mode after the first couple seasons... good players would sit in the pool for years without anyone signing them.

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 31

You can have 75 man roster in preseason. But you have to make cuts down to 55. Do the other 20 guys go to a practice squad or the free agent pool?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
Pro

JalenTigh's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Block-O
You can have 75 man roster in preseason. But you have to make cuts down to 55. Do the other 20 guys go to a practice squad or the free agent pool?
Practice Squads are only 8 players, but I have not heard yet if they are in the game. Still alot of unanswered questions about this type of stuff. In real life once a player is cut, he has to clear waivers before becoming a free agent or re-signing to the practice squad. I really hope they have the waiver wire in the game.

Georgia

College Basketball
Maryland
Georgetown

NFL
Washington Redskins
Atlanta Falcons
Baltimore Ravens

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »