Home

gameplay wise, Madden 12 is sounding like Madden 08

This is a discussion on gameplay wise, Madden 12 is sounding like Madden 08 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 9
Re: gameplay wise, Madden 12 is sounding like Madden 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT713
08? OMG... Say it ain't so... '08 was the last trash Madden. IMO, was everything Madden wasn't and very little of what Madden was.

I was so excited when Mr. Ortiz left the team so the vision for the series could come back home... Madden '09 started the process and every Madden since has been head and shoulders above it's predecessor.

Maybe the devs have been able to meld the best of '08 with the great things they were doing since... But '08 was HORRIBLE.

Later
That's one thing we agree on; M08 was a train wreck. The tackling was better, but it was a train wreck. Luckily, that year, that other game saved me.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

While I do agree that Madden 08 was the best Madden in terms of player control this gen, the game was very "arcadey" due to that fact. It gave you too much player control letting you do anything at anytime. This, along with it being in 60 FPS, and the addition of the overpowering playing weapons made Madden 08 the most "arcadey" Madden to date imo. I mean, I had fun playing it during the time but it definitely had a lot of problems and didn't feel sim.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
geez, I'm TALKING about gameplay wise with the no suction problems...THAT IS WHAT reminds me of 08.

you mind not understand it, but some of the on the field problems of 09-11 have ALOT to do with suction problems.

I'm not talking Franchise, I'm not talking about presentation, I'm not talking about Online play, etc.
I agree with you. I didn't start noticing the suction problems and sliding until Madden 09 and on, I don't think the previous Maddens had the high degree of suction and sliding like it does now. I think it has to do with the fact they made everything so heavily depended upon motion capture animations so in order for any type of action to occur it has to be mo-capped so it has to happen in a certain way no matter what happened the second before.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

When it comes to gameplay, I too like 08 the most of current gen offerings, and chose to play it two years instead of my 09. Of all the madden games I have owned, I really haven't touched features outside of head to head play and online. Are there other people out there like that? I am just realizing that there are so many sim junkies out there that don't know the adrenaline of playing a real person and instead get off on numbers matching up with real stat sheets. Maybe you never experienced coming back from 21 points down to win with the last second against another player: it is a great feeling, and Madden 08 was the last iteration were you could really change the game with play.

08 has remained the best platform for head to head competition. You need to have a lot of control over the movement of your players otherwise it becomes way to hard to beat another player without feeling like the outcome is left to chance of cpu generated decisions.

Running the ball in 08, you could actually pick a line and execute it with good results. That stopped in 09. On defense you could really lay the wood on someone with the hitstick (and there are some of you out there that are masters at this!) and really put fear in your opponent. That aspect has been tamed for the sake of sim. In 11 it was just about useless to dictate a defensive stand.

I have always wondered if they could split the game and have Madden Tournament, and Madden Sim. Are there many online players that have preferred to sacrifice game play and control for a more sim look and feel?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #13
Rookie

BlackJack_Williams's Arena

OVR: 7

I never remember that trailer being so... great lol Besides the few not getting the point of this thread, good observation.
Playing right now: Rocket League
Games Looking forward to: Moving to PS4 lol
Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 AM   #14
43M
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp23
No next gen madden has been good..

The last best madden was 2005..
Im very harsh with next gen Maddens....2010 was good....but it was LASTING good. Meaning, it was only good for about a month before franchise fizzled out and the gameplay got to me.

If the franchise is as good as it sounds....I can overlook SOME of the gameplay shortcomings.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
geez, I'm TALKING about gameplay wise with the no suction problems...THAT IS WHAT reminds me of 08.

you mind not understand it, but some of the on the field problems of 09-11 have ALOT to do with suction problems.

I'm not talking Franchise, I'm not talking about presentation, I'm not talking about Online play, etc.
I gotta tell you... I prefer Maden 09-11 with the suction problems and a full range of animations to '08 without suction and animations. I can't tell you how many times I WISHED my DB's would suction a leaping WR into a tackle instead of standing there with his thumb up his arse watching him make the catch.

The only thing that validated '08 for me on NG was the lack of forcing QB Vision on players like me who despised the feature/function. When I played my first game of '08, being able to throw without a lighthouse at QB felt wonderful (for about 3 days). Then I realized how YUCK the rest of the game was...

Other than that, there wasn't much about '08 to like. It didn't look or feel like a Madden title. I suppose that's why so many people who aren't traditionally Madden fans enjoy it more.

Later
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
TLF
Rookie

TLF's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
WAIT!.....don't pull the trigger yet. D:

before some take this the wrong way, this is a benefit imo...

with the reevaluated gameplay decisions for Madden 12, it reminds me of how Madden 08 played....but a true successor to it now.

And that is what I have wanted for a while now, and I've actually suggested this last year....Take the jabs from the community that say, "oh its the same Madden again with nothing new" or "oh they took out features that didn't work"....take that criticism or what ever, but make a better playing game and you'll be thanked at the end of the day.

I felt cheated in Madden games 09-11, so much so that I stopped playing outright. But it seems we have gone back to basics. You have control again of what is going on...and not the animation engine. Sure this is still not physic based, BUT with all the stuff that is being added this year in Franchise mode and presentation.....I think next year would be a realistic time to add it. (I believe FIFA 12 is using a physics engine this year, so maybe Madden 13)

anyway, here is an old trailer of Madden 08...take a look how an animation doesn't start until the players interact with each other...not like how it has been these past few years with the suction problems.

again, this doesn't mean that all Madden 12 is, is Madden 08...no...but I think the fun gameplay that was in Madden 08, added with the stuff they have learned these past few years and the new stuff they are adding this year, will make for a VERY FUN Madden 12.

So what might we have come Aug. 30th?

A Fun Madden (not frustrating)
An Authentic Good looking Madden
And Lots of Franchise stuff being added/brought back this year.
along with other stuff that most in the community have enjoyed these past couple of years.

yeah, from a gamer who has criticized EA Tiburon these past few years, I'm VERY excited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPD32TVtW3o

BOOM

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »