Home

Dynamic Player Potential Thoughts?

This is a discussion on Dynamic Player Potential Thoughts? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Dynamic Player Potential Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I disagree. Potential should be capped otherwise after 4-5 years you'll have alot of 99 rated players. Also I think they should do away with the Potential Grades, and do it like NFLHC09 is and have Potential Ratings (Numbers).

What if I have a B potential draft prospect? If he was rated 80-82 as far as potential I probably wouldnt draft him but if he was 88 or 89 I would. But both scores would have a B potential.

That is how Madden used to be-when you could take any player and turn him into a 99 overall depending on how much you used him.

The Tom Brady and Colston argument came to mind when initially starting this thread and I know in the draft there are diamonds in the ruff. But I feel like adding this Dynamic element and capping it to one potential rating boost UP/DOWN based on a players first three seasons would add a new Dynamic to not only the players but it would also make each Users franchise even more unique.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I'm indifferent on potential. I guess it depends on the functionality and when it's shown to us. Sort of kills the drama in the way it's been implemented the last two years.

But if you think about it, it's no different than Kiper saying a guy has upside. In M11, if I draft a high potential guy, it doesn't always necessitate a high rating off the bat.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

The issue I have with having potential grades is if I draft a QB with a potential grade of A, he could cap out at 90 and that's still an A but to me if he can't go past a 90 OVR..thats not really what I had in mind honestly. For my franchise QB I would rather have him cap out at 95+ or ATLEAST a 93 OVR.

I think they should go back to the potential ratings like Head Coach 09 was.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
I disagree. Potential should be capped otherwise after 4-5 years you'll have alot of 99 rated players. Also I think they should do away with the Potential Grades, and do it like NFLHC09 is and have Potential Ratings (Numbers).

What if I have a B potential draft prospect? If he was rated 80-82 as far as potential I probably wouldnt draft him but if he was 88 or 89 I would. But both scores would have a B potential.
The whole league will not be full of 99's. You are stuck thinking with the current potential system, where people progress NO MATTER WHAT. Get out of that mindset. There will have to be a balance; People will regress, and sometime people wont progress, people will have a break out year (Arian Foster). Not to mention I hate our current overall rating, but that's another topic. You guys remember that one QB named Daunte Culpepper right? Where is he now at his ripe age of what 33? Our current progression/regression system needs this...part of the balancing act

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I'm indifferent on potential. I guess it depends on the functionality and when it's shown to us. Sort of kills the drama in the way it's been implemented the last two years.

But if you think about it, it's no different than Kiper saying a guy has upside. In M11, if I draft a high potential guy, it doesn't always necessitate a high rating off the bat.
but you know he will be good in a few years... i hate that

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
That makes no sense to me. You can argue against having any player potential rating, but the argument you make doesn't work.

Every franchise Madden draft class has late round sleepers, even potential perennial stars. Are they named Tom Brady? No. But if your argument is that having player potential ratings means no late round sleeper surprises, then that doesn't hold up for M12.

Sure, potential was visible in the draft for all draftable rookies, but that won't be true for M12. In M12, you will only learn the potential of someone you fully scout, and scouting includes the season, the combine, pro day and personal workout. Otherwise, you may know a little about a draftee depending on how much you scout them, or else only know what round they're projected to go in, without scouting them.

If you draft them without fully scouting them, you only learn about them by keeping them through the whole preseason.

In that scenario, you can draft future Tom Brady's or total busts. But you may not know what you get until you've already potentially committed to them, either with a draft pick or maybe even a roster spot.

What's more, in M12, potential will only be achieved if the performance on the field warrants it, with the exception that you can get some ratings growth in limited or no playing time during the first three years in the league. After that, it's performance based against a curve graded with same age peers in the league. Regression of 27 year old players will happen.

The reality is some players have more upside than others based in talent. I don't have a problem with the game reflecting that as long as full potential achievement is not guaranteed based on just being in the league.
I love the bolded part btw.

The only problem is that no one knows how good a player will be in the NFL. With at least M11's version of progression/potential, we know that an A potential player will no matter what reach 90 overall. With knowing that, Tom Brady would have been drafted in the first round is all I'm saying.

What i was getting at was your bold part and not wanting to know a potential rating
Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
The issue I have with having potential grades is if I draft a QB with a potential grade of A, he could cap out at 90 and that's still an A but to me if he can't go past a 90 OVR..thats not really what I had in mind honestly. For my franchise QB I would rather have him cap out at 95+ or ATLEAST a 93 OVR.

I think they should go back to the potential ratings like Head Coach 09 was.
Overall is such a bad rating anyways...

but Head Coach did have a good progression/potential system
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
Pro

NoTiCe_O's Arena

OVR: 11

It be nice if they at least spread it somewhat, maybe A+,A, A- potential, B+,B,B- etc.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
It be nice if they at least spread it somewhat, maybe A+,A, A- potential, B+,B,B- etc.
But if you did that, then you're hiding less of the player's potential.

The current grading systems is a compromise between knowing categories of player ceiling without knowing exactly what that ceiling will be. A ratings run from 90-99, B's for 80-89, etc. So that means there is still a little bit hidden about potential, within a range of OVR 10 points.

My real problem is you can fool the database into telling you the difference between a 97 A parted potential celining and a 91 rated potential ceiling. All you have to do is display the players and sort by potential. The sort will be in order, for all A's, B's, C's etc, even if the player is on another team or a FA and the letter grade is hidden.

That's right. You can find out the ceiling potential of any player in the database, whether the game lets you see their letter grade or not. And you can tell the difference between a guy whose B potential maxes out at 81 versus 87, or an A potential who maxes out at 98 versus 92.

You still need to play some guys to have them reach their potential, though, but in the current Madden system, more development is still automatic. For example, in M11 I drafted an A rated center whose potential ceiling was upper 90's, but because he came into the league as a major project at 65 or so, I could not get him playing time to crack the lineup.

After 3 seasons pretty much on the bench he progressed maybe 5 OVR points per year, at which point I was able to give him playing time. But by that time, his yearly growth curve was slowing down, even with more playing time. He never reached 90. Maybe things would have been different if my line had been weak enough to give him meaningful numbers of snaps in his first three years, but I lost out on maxing his biggest growth years by not playing him.

But, and here's the thing, his ratings never went down. With DPP, they could, as he plays into his mid to late 20's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
Pro

Smoke316's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
I think this would be a happy medium everyone could agree with. That way they could cap how many ppl can actually be a 99. However i do think something liek this is in the game already just more in the background built into the progression/regression system

Modest in Speech..Superior in Action

Hit me on Twitter - SeanSemps

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »