Home

What does more disc space mean for Madden?

This is a discussion on What does more disc space mean for Madden? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: What does more disc space mean for Madden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
A bigger storage disc could great improve features. It can offer more modes of play, etc. While it cant render more graphics, or add to what is seen at a given time....it can offer more modes, more uniforms, more stadiums, more options period. Since most of the changes are just data....50gb compared to 7 is huge!

I believe it is why Gran Turismo has SO many more cars then Forza. The disc storage can store more car info.
This is correct. More disc space generally means more "stuff" to this kind of end, but not necessarily more features or better gameplay.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #18
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
A bigger storage disc could great improve features. It can offer more modes of play, etc. While it cant render more graphics, or add to what is seen at a given time....it can offer more modes, more uniforms, more stadiums, more options period. Since most of the changes are just data....50gb compared to 7 is huge!

I believe it is why Gran Turismo has SO many more cars then Forza. The disc storage can store more car info.
This is exactly what I was thinking, which to me means they could offer us a massively overhauled hightlights show because when it's running, it would be the only thing pulling from the available ram. Correct?

Meaning, they won't be able to put fully animated sidelines in yet, but they could add 100 new cut-scenes and add more dialogue.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #19
Rookie

over9000yards's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
You can only have 12 teams loaded into game memory at any one time. The DLC for 100 team slots doesn't change that fact.

Hard disk space is not RAM. Hard disks have far more storage capacity at the expense of fast access time (by fast, I'm talking nanoseconds access time for RAM). Games are typically installed onto hard disks because hard disks have much better access times than optical discs (orders of magnitude better, actually); games which load only from optical discs without any hard disk installation will have longer load times.
Alright, thanks for clearing that up for me. It makes sense now.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #20
Pro

dougdeuce's Arena

OVR: 18

Ok, so with what I think I've learned (yes, I'm still confused) what can the extra space be used for? Just stadiums and uniforms? That doesn't seem right to me.

I would LOVE to hear what Adem's thoughts are on this.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #21
MVP

blklightning's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:

it has so many more models because they carried over all the ps2 cars to bump up the number. the game only has about 200 real next gen cars. the rest are low res ps2 ports.

and i accidentally thanked you for your post, so you're welcome.

3 points for graphics, 1 point for the passable commentary, and a half point for the boxart. I can give no further points since the all over the place gameplay would ruin it anyway.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #22
Rookie

smace767's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdeuce
Ok, so with what I think I've learned (yes, I'm still confused) what can the extra space be used for? Just stadiums and uniforms? That doesn't seem right to me.

I would LOVE to hear what Adem's thoughts are on this.
I think you are getting it confused in what a few are saying. You asked what does extra disc space mean, and gave a list of things, most of which would be a RAM issue.

I, and a few others said that the true issue with adding things, (which is what your original idea was, How can things be added with a bigger disc), is The 512 mbs of ram.

Not that they cant do any one thing its that its, (1 not that easy as just adding things. They might have to change the way ram handles some things.

2) Since RAM is an issue, only the most important features should/ could be added. EA has to prioritize what gets in. With more RAM its not.

As a note not many games are using all the disc space on the disk anyway, Madden included.

Here are the disc sizes of games @ this link. notice that Madden 11 only used 5.3 gbs of the 6.8(looks like the max for xbox360 disc games is 6.8 which have to be the same size as ps3 games, do to some agreement).

notice backbreaker is 1gb.

NFL head coach 09 5.8 gbs

fifa 11 is 6.3 gbs

ncaa 11 is6.1 and

nba2k11 is a full 6.7.

Tiger woods 11 5.7 gbs

fight night champion only used 5.4 gbs

college hoops 2k8 with coach carousel 6.4

guys talked about crysys loading data from the disk. crysys 2 only uses 5.3 of the 6.8 gbs on the disc

of all those games, only NBA2k11 is full to the point it cant add anything else on the disc.

Linkhttp://stripesonfire.com/nsc/
Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by smace767
I think you are getting it confused in what a few are saying. You asked what does extra disc space mean, and gave a list of things, most of which would be a RAM issue.

I, and a few others said that the true issue with adding things, (which is what your original idea was, How can things be added with a bigger disc), is The 512 mbs of ram.

Not that they cant do any one thing its that its, (1 not that easy as just adding things. They might have to change the way ram handles some things.

2) Since RAM is an issue, only the most important features should/ could be added. EA has to prioritize what gets in. With more RAM its not.

As a note not many games are using all the disc space on the disk anyway, Madden included.

Here are the disc sizes of games @ this link. notice that Madden 11 only used 5.3 gbs of the 6.8(looks like the max for xbox360 disc games is 6.8 which have to be the same size as ps3 games, do to some agreement).

notice backbreaker is 1gb.

NFL head coach 09 5.8 gbs

fifa 11 is 6.3 gbs

ncaa 11 is6.1 and

nba2k11 is a full 6.7.

Tiger woods 11 5.7 gbs

fight night champion only used 5.4 gbs

college hoops 2k8 with coach carousel 6.4

guys talked about crysys loading data from the disk. crysys 2 only uses 5.3 of the 6.8 gbs on the disc

of all those games, only NBA2k11 is full to the point it cant add anything else on the disc.

Linkhttp://stripesonfire.com/nsc/
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the install size on the XBOX360 hard drive is indicative of how large a game is. I'm pretty sure some games install a subset of the on-disc files, mainly the ones that are most-accessed during the time which the game is running.

Again, someone please check me on that.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:43 PM   #24
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHooe
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that the install size on the XBOX360 hard drive is indicative of how large a game is. I'm pretty sure some games install a subset of the on-disc files, mainly the ones that are most-accessed during the time which the game is running.

Again, someone please check me on that.
It used to do a direct install of the game data. there was an system update that made the install size slightly smaller for some games(some didn't change much at all if any). but for the most part, it works similar to a computer game where it installs/runs the game from the hard drive and only runs a DVD check to insure you own a DVD copy of the game.

Current Main Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Division 2(XB) Baldur Gate 3(XB 4p Co-op run) HellDivers 2 (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here

Last edited by Solidice; 05-18-2011 at 10:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »