Home

EA's IMPACT PHYSICS ENGINE!!! When can we expect in Madden? Clips inside this thread!

This is a discussion on EA's IMPACT PHYSICS ENGINE!!! When can we expect in Madden? Clips inside this thread! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 21
EA IMPACT PHYSICS ENGINE! When can we expect it in Madden? Clips inside this thread!

This is for FIFA, but we know EA Studios shares tech....NO REASON this shouldn't be in NCAA and Madden Next year! if we expect it, maybe it will happen..lol.

I won't link the video, it might get taken down. Thankx goes to rvy from NeoGAF for these gifs.

Last edited by Afrikan; 05-21-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: EA's IMPACT PHYSICS ENGINE!!! When can we expect in Madden? Clips inside this thr

There's plenty of reason it couldn't just be 'dropped in', hopefully it's not added until it can be done right, if that's not until the next generation in consoles then so be it.

I'd expect the overhead for this kind of thing is much lower in FIFA, where only a handful of players will be physically interacting at any given time. Madden would have to account for 22 players all interacting potentially every single snap.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: EA's IMPACT PHYSICS ENGINE!!! When can we expect in Madden? Clips inside this thr

There's a lot more to physics in football than other sports. We have to account for guys struggling out of contact, sustained contact rather than impacts.

What we have to account for that other games don't- in most games, guys fall down. In our game, they're doing everything they can not to fall down. The physics models I've seen handle the first part well... the second part, not so much.

That said, Phil Frazier has said in several interviews that this year's impact system in Madden is our first step toward physics as a long term goal. All I'm saying is we can't just take it from NHL or FIFA and have it work in Madden. The nature of contact in those games is entirely different from NFL Football.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #4
Banned

mestevo...well, to start maybe they can just use it for tackling..so basically where ever the ball goes, who ever is involved in that sequence is when physics are taken into play.... so on the outside with WRs and CBs battling, it can stick to regular animation....but as Soon as a WR catches the ball, everyone after that who comes into contact with him...most likely 2-3 people, worse case scenario..it would be triggered.

so a Running back gets the ball, who ever comes in contact with him...Impact engine takes over...where as everywhere else on the field, regular random animations are happening.

I think that is how it is in Fifa for now.

edit- just read your reply after submitting my post, Thankx Adem...I don't expect it to be perfect the first time out..but it would be a start. In Fifa you can see where it needs work, but dangit it looks like they are headed in the right direction..and that is the exciting part. Now PES is going to have to step up next year. I hope it works out for Madden.

Last edited by Afrikan; 05-21-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Banned

Adem, were you able to find out about MLAA for the PS3 version?

7 PS3 games released this year have used it

EA owned
Dragon Age 2
Need For Speed Shift 2

published
Portal 2

others
Motorstorm 3
Socom 4
LittleBigPlanet 2
Killzone 3

I know I know..different games...different engines.....but just wondering, we'd appreciate it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Rookie

Atomic Martian's Arena

OVR: 5

Thats a reasonable explanation Adem. I would feel cheated if Players went down on instant contact. Need to see the struggle fight.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

We might have to wait until Madden 13 or beyond for this entire Impact Physics Engine but I think we are getting versions of FIFA's impact engine and Pro Player Intelligence, in Madden 12. After reading Afrikan's post and finding an article about FIFA 12, seems like a lot of work has been put in throughout EA Sports as a whole concerning player AI. This quote, "EA Sports wants to inject more intelligence into their virtual players....." from a gamereactor.eu article, suggest the Player Traits/Tendencies in Madden 12 are probably more than just some new BUGGY experimental feature. Instead, being an EA Sports feature, applied differently in various titles and having the advantage of being already tested, in a slightly different form, in other EA Sports titles.

Also, the way it was described that injuries work in that EA Impact Engine, sounds very similar to the Collision Engine described in Madden 12. Hopefully the injury progression described in that article will be available in Madden 12 but at least Madden 13.

E3 just became a much bigger deal for me because if Player Traits/Tendencies is the DPP announcement EA is planning and it is a culmination of efforts from various EA Sports titles developers, these could be something revolutionary. I don't put a lot stock in the Madden hype but this investment in increased virtual player intelligence, seems to be much more substantial than that.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Thinking Out Loud; 05-21-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
There's a lot more to physics in football than other sports. We have to account for guys struggling out of contact, sustained contact rather than impacts.
I hope this new engine will also allow the DL to perform double moves. I'm pretty sure it's not possible in Madden 11, but I could be wrong on that.

For those who don't know what I mean: imagine a dt doing a rip move to his right, then immediately performing a spin move to his left. here's an example (around 21:10 mark):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0s3T...eature=related

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »