Home

Will Ratings Matter for Offensive Line Play?

This is a discussion on Will Ratings Matter for Offensive Line Play? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8

Last year popular opinion was that rating on individual players had almost No effect on line play. No reason to draft a good lineman when they all did more or less the same performance on game day. This year, Madden 2012 sounds like all has changed, ratings will count at every position. For those involved in making Madden or those that have played Madden 2012, feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Will Ratings Matter for Offensive Line Play?

I'd venture to say that O-line ratings mattered last year. There are absolutely some high rated OL that stone wall defenders, and there are also some DL that are extremely disruptive.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #3
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

I don't know about Madden 12, but it sure didn't feel like it in Madden 11. While I agree with rgiles36 that there was a difference between the elite and average DL's in the game, it mostly came down to the block shedding rating, IMO. If the block shedding rating of the defenders were low, then it didn't matter too much who was playing on OL or DL from what I experienced.

Line play is one of the central elements of getting football right, but also something that is hard to replicate in a video game. Yet I feel that Tiburon should be dedicating more time and energy on getting line play right than getting the presentation right, but that's just my opinion. I might be getting Madden 12 this year, but that'll only be because I want something to play until FIFA 12 comes out.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
All Star

LionsFanNJ's Arena

OVR: 29
Doesn't matter what anyone says. Someone is going to unrealistically, unsim-ly(ironically very hypocritical btw) put a punter on the line and say look broken.

sent from parts unknown
Old 05-22-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ
Doesn't matter what anyone says. Someone is going to unrealistically, unsim-ly(ironically very hypocritical btw) put a punter on the line and say look broken.

sent from parts unknown
Well back in madden 05 ratings mattered.(No sliders,tuner set,BSH rating)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxG-FbPP12s

If last gen can do it.Shouldn't this gen should be able to.(Yes are NO)

Last edited by lofeazy; 05-22-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I don't know about Madden 12, but it sure didn't feel like it in Madden 11. While I agree with rgiles36 that there was a difference between the elite and average DL's in the game, it mostly came down to the block shedding rating, IMO. If the block shedding rating of the defenders were low, then it didn't matter too much who was playing on OL or DL from what I experienced.
This is what I've found as well. Julius Peppers and his low BSH attribute meant there was little difference when he went against a good/great OT or a scrub rated in the 60's. On offense I couldn't understand why rather nondescript DL were blowing up my running plays until I saw their obscenely high BSH. I surmise that the inability to get real 34 line play (double teaming of linemen) results in these guys getting overly high BSH ratings.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFanNJ

sent from parts unknown
With all due respect to LionsFan, I don't understand why people state things like this and it always comes across to me, like they are missing the whole point. Two things I want to state about youtubbers or whomever does these type line "tests".

1) They are NOT just placing players like punters in offensive line positions, they are actually changing the players, like punters, into offensive lineman. The whole point of no longer allowing users to place any player, at any position, like in past Maddens, was supposed to be so changing their position would allow their skill ratings at that position to determine their effectiveness. So anyway you shake it, changing a Punter into an offensive lineman or lowering the position skill ratings of a default offensive lineman, to match each other, should at least yield similar results. Then people could claim height and weight don't matter but at least position skill ratings clearly would.

2) I have actually seen the CPU teams in franchise mode, place a punter on the offensive line, WITHOUT converting them into an offensive lineman. Me and my friend control the CPU team of each others weekly opponent in our franchise. Whenever a CPU controlled team's game is played by a user, they can NOT change the CPU teams depth chart. The user has to do in-game formation subs to make any changes to the CPU teams on-field personnel. Countless time, I have played with CPU controlled teams that have so many offensive line injuries, that punters will be starting on the offensive line, out on the field. Now, I always take the time to formation sub them out of each formation but you get the point.

So in Madden, people don't necessarily have to be looking for troubles, sometimes, troubles find them.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
Well back in madden 05 ratings mattered.(No sliders,tuner set,BSH rating)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxG-FbPP12s

If last gen can do it.Shouldn't this gen should be able to.(Yes are NO)
Great post.

Now how anyone can sit there and watch that while still claiming EA devs have never done better than what we have seen with some elements of next-gen Madden, is beyond me.

I have no beef with the Madden devs or EA Sports but for 6 years now, there have been some serious unresolved issues specific to next-gen Madden. In Madden 12, they may have actually successfully addressed some of those next-gen issues but more people would probably feel more confident of that, if EA was more willing to admit their past next-gen Madden failures.

Not doing so can sometimes give the impression that they still "don't get it" to some people, even if this year, they actually do.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »