Home

Rate the 2011 Rookies (2011 and potential)

This is a discussion on Rate the 2011 Rookies (2011 and potential) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: Rate the 2011 Rookies (2011 and potential)

on the pp vs jones argument...remember that this is MY OPINION and you are more then welcome to make your own rookie ratings i just started things, also realize that my opinion and probably the person you are arguing with will not change their opinion no matter how much you list stats.

IMO some people seem to think jones will be a andre johnson or fitz..i see more of a key or plaxico burress (by no means a bad thing at all).
Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #34
MVP

Tengo Juego's Arena

OVR: 29

The whole thing is, Dbrentonbuck, you keep trying to justify your disagreement with everyone's ratings and potential for these two players, simply by saying "Julio put up numbers when he played against Peterson." Do you really, honestly think that's the most important factor in rating these two players? Taking a small sample size, measuring the talent of the match-up by stats, is not a foolproof way of rating players.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #35
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
The whole thing is, Dbrentonbuck, you keep trying to justify your disagreement with everyone's ratings and potential for these two players, simply by saying "Julio put up numbers when he played against Peterson." Do you really, honestly think that's the most important factor in rating these two players? Taking a small sample size, measuring the talent of the match-up by stats, is not a foolproof way of rating players.
I guess that is fundamentally where we disagree, because YES I absolutely think what happens on the field is the most important factor in rating players. There are certain positions in football that have a counterpart on the other side of the ball. For instance a weak side DE and a Left Tackle. You can absolutely compare those two in a performance head to head to determine who is the better player. In the simplest terms, as a WR, Julio Jone's job is to catch the ball, gain positive yards, score, and block when needed. As a CB, for the most part, Patrick Peterson's job is to stop that from happening. It is pretty simple. It is not like we are comparing a DE to a WR. These two are counterparts on the Field. One's success or failure for a game is directly dependent on if he can beat the other. Again, people try to make it out like I am saying Peterson is not a good player. I am not saying that at all. All that I have said is that in head to head matchups as old as 3 years ago and as recent as 6 months ago, Jones was a better player. That is it. I don't care if you rate them both 65 or 95, but it makes no sense to rate one lower who has consistently beaten the other one head to head. I don't know why that is such a terrible thing to say.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #36
Pro

its no use...people are just sippin that Kool-Aid
If PP is this god on the field and JJ did what he did to him JJ should also receive god status, simple as that.
Whats funny is in the same game in 2010 PP got burnt deep as well, had to commit PI and the catch was still almost made (by a WR who isnt JJ)

JJ had a good game vs PP, and if it wasnt for a good chuck by a LB would have had more yards...

And ppl have actually said in this thread "Who knows what happened to him that day"....REALLY!!!? WHO CARES, PLAY BALL. JJ played with a fractured hand....WHO CARES play ball...They both played ball and JJ played better simple as that.

I have been saying this for weeks, PP is a good player...He MIGHT be the best player in the draft. BUT HE ISNT LEAPS AND BOUNDS ABOVE EVERYONE ELSE.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56
If PP is this god on the field and JJ did what he did to him JJ should also receive god status, simple as that.
Whats funny is in the same game in 2010 PP got burnt deep as well, had to commit PI and the catch was still almost made (by a WR who isnt JJ)

JJ had a good game vs PP, and if it wasnt for a good chuck by a LB would have had more yards...

And ppl have actually said in this thread "Who knows what happened to him that day"....REALLY!!!? WHO CARES, PLAY BALL. JJ played with a fractured hand....WHO CARES play ball...They both played ball and JJ played better simple as that.

I have been saying this for weeks, PP is a good player...He MIGHT be the best player in the draft. BUT HE ISNT LEAPS AND BOUNDS ABOVE EVERYONE ELSE.
He's the best athlete in the draft, but as far as a cover CB, I'd take Jimmy Smith ahead of him. That's not how EA is going to rate it though. Jimmy Smith shows better coverage skills IMO, but the argument could be made well he played in the Big 12 and there are no elite WR's. This kid has only give up 11 catches when in man coverage in the past two seasons and did get a couple of chances to cover AJ Green and held his own. Green did much to nothing against Smith, so the Georgia offensive coordinator moved Green over to the left side of the field and let him rape Jalil Brown. Smith IMO should have a better man coverage rating than PP7, but he will not most likely. It's just the nature of how the players are rated.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #38
Pro

Dbrentonbuck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFColonel56

This is what I have been saying lol. I am not saying Peterson sucks. I am saying he wasn't dominate against the best WR in his division (SEC West). He couldn't stop Julio Jones in man to man coverage and that needs to be considered when rating both men. Either they are both really good or they both suck. You cannot just close your eyes to what Jones did against Peterson and say Peterson in an 89 man and 90 press and Jones is going to be average. It doesn't make sense if Jones is average then why couldn't Peterson stop him? That is all I am saying. If you think Peterson is so great, then at least give credit where credit is due. For the the record I hate both LSU and BAMA. I am not a homer for either team.

By the way, you are correct about the 2010 game, but that WR did make the catch. Maze (I think that is his name) would have burned PP7 for a TD if PP7 had not intentionally interfered with him. Even with the interference, Maze still caught the ball and gained a chunk of yards. When Peterson played the top tier teams, he struggled in man to man coverage. I am just saying that should be considered before you anoint the man the next Revis. But, I guess that is asking too much. ESPN says he is great so he must be great. Have another glass of Kool-aid

Last edited by Dbrentonbuck; 05-25-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 1

Here is My take on the rookies in Madden their ratings and potential.

1.Cam Newton QB (Panthers) Ovr 76 potential 94 he has the boom or bust factor to me.
2.Von Miller OLB (Broncos) Ovr 81 potential 96 he is the second coming of derrick thomas in my eye.
3. Marcel Dareus DE (Bills) Ovr 80 potential 90 he full potential will not be met because he is in the wrong scheme but he to good not to be a good player.
4. AJ Green WR (Bengals) Ovr 81 potential 96 he is a mix to me of randy moss and jerry rice. He has the body of moss and but palys more like jerry.
5. Patrick Peterson (Cardinals) Ovr 82 potential 99 Rod Woodson all over again.
6. Julio Jones WR (Falcons) Ovr 77 potential 91 Will be ran faster time in the 40 than he plays. Physical Freak though.
7. Aldon Smith OLB (49ers) Ovr 76 potential 92 he needs to put on weight to be able to get of blocks against the run. He is a the best pass rusher in the draft though.
8. Jake Locker QB (Titans) Ovr 75 potential 95 he is alot similar to Jay Cutler in My Eye with a little decreased arm but more athletic.
9. Tyron Smith RT (Cowboys) Ovr 78 potential 94 he is goin to be a decent player no matter what I hate the Cowboys but they draft good.
10. Blaine Gabbert QB (Jaguars) Ovr 78 potential 91 he will be a average QB enough said.
11. JJ Watt DE (Texans) Ovr 76 potential 93 he will be a good a playmaking 5 technique in my eyes.
12. Christian Ponder QB (Vikings) Ovr 71 potential 86 reminds me of Matt Hasselback.
13. Nick Fairley DT (Lions) Ovr 79 potential 90 great pass rusher average run stopper.
14. Robert Quinn DE (Rams) Ovr 78 potential 94
15. Mike Pouncey C (Dolphins) Ovr 76 potential 89 not as good as his brother but will be a decent center.
16. Ryan Kerrigan OLB (Redskins) Ovr 77 potential 92 he is a great pass rusher Redskins never draft first round bust unless its a QB he will be great on the other side of Orakpo.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM   #40
Rookie

gohogs141's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
He's the best athlete in the draft, but as far as a cover CB, I'd take Jimmy Smith ahead of him. That's not how EA is going to rate it though. Jimmy Smith shows better coverage skills IMO, but the argument could be made well he played in the Big 12 and there are no elite WR's. This kid has only give up 11 catches when in man coverage in the past two seasons and did get a couple of chances to cover AJ Green and held his own. Green did much to nothing against Smith, so the Georgia offensive coordinator moved Green over to the left side of the field and let him rape Jalil Brown. Smith IMO should have a better man coverage rating than PP7, but he will not most likely. It's just the nature of how the players are rated.
the big 12 actually does have a lot of good WRs...not sure if colorado played against all of them but ryan broyles, jeff fuller, and justin blackmon could all be 1st-2nd rounders

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »