Home

Rate the 2011 Rookies (2011 and potential)

This is a discussion on Rate the 2011 Rookies (2011 and potential) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Rate the 2011 Rookies (2011 and potential)

1. Cam Newton 73/76 - Hes a bust but hes going to have a decent rookie year running the ball
  2. Von Miller 78/98 - Its not just his pass rushing ability but his fluid movement in space and consistent production over multiple years
  3. Marcell Dareus 80/93 - Hes one of those bust proof guys but his ceiling isnt as high as some of these other guys
  4. AJ Green 76/99 - Dynamic reciever who has the characteristics of recievers who succeed from the top end of the draft.
  5. Patrick Peterson 81/97 - Peterson's weakness is in his agility and acceleration. But cornerbacks of this caliber usually pan out in the NFL.
  6. Julio Jones 75/88 - I dont see explosiveness but hes sure to be a solid number two option. He just doesnt dominate the game.
  7. Aldon Smith 75/91 - Good pass rusher.
  8. Jake Locker 68/94 - Homer Alert. But if you look at Locker he's got the heart and all the physical tools even if he didnt have college numbers. FUN FACT: Out of QBs drafted in the first round since 2000 with less than 60% comp. percentage the worst is Jay Cutler.
  9. Tyron Smith 77/84 - While I understand not beating out Matt Khalil hes only a solid player with good athleticism.
  10. Blaine Gabbert 69/76 - Gabbert's the proverbially square peg in the round hole role of NFL Quarterback.
  11. JJ Watt 79/88 -
  12. Christian Ponder 74/88 -
  13. Nick Fairley 71/94 - After seeing what the Lions front office has done I have to give them the benefit of the doubt on Fairley especially because they mustve felt he was pretty good to take him with the DTs they already have. But if they call him a bust im fine with it.
  14. Robert Quinn 75/81
  15. Mike Pouncey 81/96
  16. Ryan Kerrigan 75/87
  17. Nate Solder 68/95
  18. Corey Liuget 74/93
  19. Prince Amukamara 77/95
  20. Adrian Clayborn 79/92
  21. Phil Taylor 71/83
  22. Anthony Castonzo 74/76
  23. Danny Watkins 78/97
  24. Cameron Jordan 75/88
  25. James Carpenter 68/91 - Homerism but think of it like this, John Schneider seems to be a great talent evaluator and if he didnt truly believe this kid is that good he wouldnt have picked him over Carimi.
  26. Jonathan Baldwin 69/86
  27. Jimmy Smith 71/80 - This is a coin flip
  28. Mark Ingram 80/95
  29. Gabe Carimi 76/88
  30. Muhammad Wilkerson 70/80 - Not sure what to think about Wilkerson
  31. Cameron Heyward 68/76
  32. Derek Sherrod 68/90
Notables
  • Ryan Mallet 76/96 - I watched this guy play and i was wowed not by his arm strength or his stature but by all the little things he did that other great NFL QBs do.
  • Titus Young 73/90
  • John Moffit/Steve Wisniewski 75/94 - Both are classic interior lineman, tough and gritty football players
  • Jacquizz Rodgers 74/93
  • Marcus Cannon 77/96
  • Jeremy Beal 70/88
Old 05-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #50
Rookie

Vortex12's Arena

OVR: 0

Just thought I'd add my opinion into this.

1. Cam Newton 78/92

He's got potential, that much is certain, but his bust factor is very high as well. He's got the tools, but can he use them?

2. Von Miller 81/94

NFL Ready with room for improvement, I think he can be the next great linebacker. Denver's scheme isn't perfect for him but I think they'll find ways to use him.

3. Marcel Dareus 80/90

Beast of a defensive lineman, got good tools and is pro-ready for the most part. He will step in and provide an impact in Buffalo's defense.

4. AJ Green 81/95

Perhaps the best player in the draft when it's all said and done. Tons of talent and very polished as a player. Unlike some people, I don't see Randy Moss in him, I see more of Jerry Rice/Andre Johnson do it all kind of guy. AJ isn't the deep threat Randy is, but he was more complete at Georgia. Going to be a great player.

5. Patrick Peterson 82/96

I think he has the talent to be a great shut down corner, and you all need to keep in mind that he was in college, I'll bet Darrelle Revis wasn't as good as he is now in college. I think him and Devin McCourty are the next big things at corner in the NFL.

6. Julio Jones 78/90

Not as good as AJ Green in my eyes, but still very talented. I think if he doesn't produce immediately he will be seen as a failure because of all the picks the Falcons gave up to get him. Dropped some passes in college and that may continue to plague him. Can be good, but has a lot of expectations on his shoulders.

7. Aldon Smith 77/87

I was surprised by this pick. I had never heard anything about Smith before the Niners took him at 7. They must see something in him, from what I hear he's a good pass rusher especially.

8. Jake Locker 75/93

Not very polished at all, but has a lot of talent. I think he ends up better than Newton at least, maybe the best QB in the draft. Although it hurt his stock, staying in college for his senior year was a good thing for him, he developed further. He's got the physical tools, he just needs more time to develop.

9. Tyron Smith 77/88

Wasn't even a LT at USC, why should he be one in the NFL? Right Tackle, solid player, not great.

10. Blaine Gabbert 76/89

Gabbert's in a great situation at the moment. He can sit and learn behind David Garrard for a couple years and then take over.

11. JJ Watt 75/86

Good motor, but I just don't know if ANYONE can look good in the Texan's defense.

12. Christian Ponder 74/82

Chad Pennington 2.0. Weak arm by NFL standards, although quite accurate. Injury prone. Reach in my opinion.

13. Nick Fairley 80/91

Not gonna lie, that Lions defensive front is scary. Great player in college but fell because of "character concerns". Great player.

14. Robert Quinn 76/88

Was originally projected to go in the top five picks. Spags knows how to coach up a defense, and Quinn is a piece in his defensive line project.

15. Mike Pouncey 79/91

Not quite as good as Maurkice, but still a solid player in his own right. He's not a center, but he can be a very good guard.

16. Ryan Kerrigan 78/90

Excellent player, good pass rusher, non-stop motor. Played very well at Purdue. Steal for the Skins.

17. Nate Solder 75/86

Not sure if he can be great, but he can be good.

18. Corey Liuget 75/86

19. Prince Amukamara 78/88

Surprised he fell as far as he did. I thought he would end up going to the Niners or the Cowboys in the top 10. Good corner, not as good as PP though.

20. Adrian Clayborn 76/87

Good all-around player.

21. Phil Taylor 75/85

Big guy in the middle.

22. Anthony Castanzo 76/86

May play immediately for the Colts.

23. Danny Watkins 77/84

Not a lot of room for growth because he is older, but he's NFL ready.

24. Cameron Jordan 77/90

Could be the steal of the draft. Great player, very versatile, he can play a few positions.

25. James Carpenter 70/82

Reach.

26. Jonathan Baldwin 74/88

He's got a lot of talent and room for improvement.

27. Jimmy Smith 75/89

Fell because of off field issues. Great situation for him with the Ravens locker room. He has the potential to fix the Raven's corner problems.

28. Mark Ingram 78/86

I don't see him as being a great player in the NFL.

29. Gabe Carimi 75/85

30. Muhammad Wilkerson 74/84

31. Cameron Heyward 74/85

32. Derek Sherrod 73/84

Others

Andy Dalton 74/84

He'll be a solid starter, no more.

Colin Kaepernick 72/89

I think he can be very good if the Niners give him time to develop. Loads of potential. Better than Cam Newton throwing the ball and faster.

Ryan Mallett 74/88

He's in the perfect situation. Sit behind Tom Brady for a few years then take over the reigns.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #51
Rookie

brettmickey's Arena

1. Cam Newton- 75 OVR, 96 POT: Only if Madden had a bust potential rating because this would even out his huge potential. Has all the skills needed, is his head in the right place?

2. Von Miller- 78 OVR, 93 POT: If Miller landed on a 3-4 team, I would move potential up to a 96 because he is so skilled as a rush backer. Too bad there is no dedicated rush backer in the 4-3...

3. Marcell Dareus- 80 OVR, 94 POT: He is as bust proof as anyone in this draft. Has played in the 3-4 throughout college and will continue to succeed in the pros.

4. AJ Green- 80 OVR, 98 POT: This man is SCARY good. The #1 job of a WR is to catch the ball, and very few can do it better than AJ.

5. Patrick Peterson- 82 OVR, 97 POT: The next shutdown CB? I think so. The most athletically gifted player in the draft.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 10:14 AM   #52
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien6663
Please note, that even though i think certain players will be busts, their potential rating is not necessarily an indication.

For instance i think Cam will bust and be out of the league in 3 years. however he does have potential hopefully madden progression can reckognize performance more into determining who reaches their potential.

I agree on Cam...it seems these GM's don't learn from their mistakes. Jarmarcus Russell, Vince Young etc should have shown them. Michael Vick is another (he had his best year ever last year I believe - his throwing numbers are generally ordinary) and I'm sure TEbow will be. These guys that depend so heavily on running with the ball all have rude awakenings in the NFL when they get run down by a 280 lb DE or smashed by a 250 pound LB.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Old 05-31-2011, 12:19 PM   #53
Rookie

Seanzie's Arena

OVR: 2

Julio Jones is more Terrell Owens than Keyshawn Johnson.

Marcell Dareus, A.J. Green, and Patrick Peterson should be the 3 highest rated rookies in the draft.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 2

I agree most rookies shouldnt break the 80OVR mark and if they do by no more than a point or two.

Im curious to what people think Bowers should be rated? Best DE in the draft and fell due to injury concerns.

His INJ will likely be low, but I think he should be at or above the 80 mark if its actually reserved for great prospects.

Im a Bucs fan, but bear with me(using 80 as a top rookie)....

DE Clayborn 78OVR- complete end so good ratings across the board with no major deficiencies, maybe no really high ratings except in block shedding

DE Bowers 82OVR- Full package with career legnth concerns, concensus top DE and was a top 5 pick before the concerns. Good-great ratings across the board with INJ being the only low ratings.

LB Foster 70OVR- Decent speed but more of a physical type LB, should be a big hitter, sure tackler and a good pass rusher. His downside would be his average coverage

TE Stocker 69OVR- All around TE that is a good inline blocker and an above average recieving option for a TE. This one was tough for me because he was an early 4th rounder, but was rated as the #2 or #3 TE in the draft by most pundits. I imagine he may be rated a little lower, but IMO, this is where he should be.

S Black 67OVR- Playmaker and a big hitter, but his speed is going to take a hit due to his 40. He plays fast on the field, but doesnt put up #s in the 40. His zone coverage is good, but he wont be someone many people use due to his speed

HB Bradford 66OVR- SHould be in the mold of Blount from early in the madden season last year. Bradford isnt as agile, but hes a bruiser. His carry will prolly start out a little low, but his trucking and stiff arm should make him effective.

CB Gaitor 65OVR- has all the athletic tools. Speed(4.3 and 4.4 40 at pro day), agility, acc, etc. Hers a good tackler and excellent in zone coverage. Hes god the perfect skill set to be a cover 2 corner. Curious as to how EA is going to rated him as his skill set is better than what his draft position will allow. He is from FIU, so Im sure things like AWR will be played with.

Thinks thats a fair evealuation?

I also think that if Cam is rated anywhere near 78OVR, his accuracy rating should be pretty dang low. Its his biggest obstacle to overcome other than him being able to learn the pro game.

Really, I think a lot of these QBs are going to be rated higher than they should be. There were a lot of desperate teams and it obvious there was a run and a bunch of teams didnt get the value for their pick.

Aldon Smith should be in the low 70s with a really high potential. The kid is only 20 and his body hasnt filled out yet. He has all the talent in the world but most people think its going to take him a couple years to show anything significant. Technique has a lot of catching up to do with his talent.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #55
Rookie

If you listen to ******s like Kiper and McQueer Carpenter was a reach at #25. If you pay attention to people who actually scouted these kids, Carpenter was the second best tackle in the draft. You do realize he stepped right in and started his first year after transferring from JC at LT and was the lead blocker for a Heisman winner right?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »