Home

Has the Madden team lost its innovative spirit?

This is a discussion on Has the Madden team lost its innovative spirit? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM   #41
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Has the Madden team lost its innovative spirit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Lol @ the verb "intimates" making it into a Madden thread. Love it! I think what you're saying is that the idea that one can't be both good at one's job and relatively uncreative is a false dichotomy. I agree. I'd also say that the OP's praise for the game and the development staff at the beginning of the post fits within what rhetoricians call the "humility topos," which is a kind of affected modesty that precedes a deep critique of something, softening the blow a little bit before it comes. Reading it that way might help make sense of why the tone changes as the post progresses.

To the OP's point, I'd say that I think the gameplan and gameflow features from last year and the dynamic progression from this year are genuine innovations for the Madden franchise. I was very excited last year to see that I could put together a gameplan before each week and have it implemented in-game as though it were coming in from a coordinator. Unfortunately, the feature just didn't work right. Dynamic progression is probably the most significant addition to gameplay to date; it will make every game and every season seem unique if it works. So I'd say that they've still got some creative spark in them. It's just a matter of how well they implement their vision.
With respect to the many well thought out points made in this post, this is by far the most astute.

If operating properly and a solid diversity of position and player specific habitual Player Traits/Tendencies are added to that part of DPP, Madden 12 could have REVOLUTIONARY simulation player AI, on the field. Not only that but lay a solid foundation for future Madden's to be worth the yearly MSRP just for adding more Player traits/tendencies, each year.

Imagine having so much specific habitual player AI diversity that two players with almost the exact same everything, right down to physical characteristics and all numerical ratings but their player/traits tendencies were unique, causing their on field performance to be individually unique.

Man I hope DPP pans out!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 9

During the past several years, I'd say that EA lost their innovative spirit. This year, however, they seem to be listening to the community. During the development of M11, it seemed like Tiburon was flat out ignoring us. No one asked for the strategy pad, no one asked for game-flow, franchise was untouched, and the only features that really were geared toward enhancing the game-play was Locomotion and improved run blocking.

This year, it seems as if EA determined M12's top priorities by looking strictly at the forums and YT videos. We don't need any innovative, back of the box, features at this stage of the game. The foundation of Madden, up until now, has been very shaky. That's needs to be sured up, and it appears that's what EA is doing. All that being said, we can't be sure at least until the demo is released.

People, some people, were saying that EA, after M10, should have taken a year off to focus on M12 because only so much can be done in one year. Many people, me included, said that would never happen, as the deal (with the NFL) mandates a yearly release. To me, now, it seems that M11 was that year off.

Last edited by LiquorLogic; 05-27-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #43
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
During the past several years, I'd say that EA lost their innovative spirit. This year, however, they seem to be listening to the community. During the development of M11, it seemed like Tiburon was flat out ignoring us. No one asked for the strategy pad, no one asked for game-flow, franchise was untouched, and the only features that really were geared toward enhancing the game-play was Locomotion and improved run blocking.

This year, it seems as if EA determined M12's top priorities by looking strictly at the forums and YT videos. We don't need any innovative, back of the box, features at this stage of the game. The foundation of Madden, up until now, has been very shaky. That's needs to be sured up, and it appears that's what EA is doing. All that being said, we can't be sure at least until the demo is released.

People, some people, were saying that EA, after M10, should have taken a year off to focus on M12 because only so much can be done in one year. Many people, me included, said that would never happen, as the deal (with the NFL) mandates a yearly release. To me, now, it seems that M11 was that year off.
I agree with most of what your saying.

I'll only add if Gameplan/Gameflow works as planned, that could be looked upon an innovative feature to some people.(not everyone mind you)
Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #44
Rookie

wdctaylor's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm glad you all are debating and seeing the point I was trying to make. Most of everyone will take a solid gameplay before new creative features, and I would too. I believe Madden 12, with or without what we deem gimmick or innovative features, will be a great game.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #45
Pro

Madden lost innovation years ago. NFL player likeness severely restricts this game from being GREAT.

I'm not speaking of the ratings, they mean nothing. The players themselves all feel and play generic. Games don't feel like battles of different team styles. They feel more like, I'll use what the game engine allows to work well.

The game also lacks immersion and the unexpected.

Yes. The game has improved, but every year it still feels like the same OLD GAME.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #46
Banned

Cre8's Arena

I think it is hard to be innovative when you release a game annually.

See Guitar Hero, Call of Duty... etc.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #47
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I know that I haven't seen how it functions yet, but for what I'm looking for, Dynamic Player Ratings will easily be the best of their innovations. Looking at the list that the OP presented, I actually don't care about any of the things there, including the things for 04-06 which he lauded.

I know that this is a minority opinion, but I personally feel like playmaker and hitstick was the beginning of the gimmicky downward spiral.

IMO, their design decisions for M12 are the best they've ever been.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #48
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasthour
Madden lost innovation years ago. NFL player likeness severely restricts this game from being GREAT.

I'm not speaking of the ratings, they mean nothing. The players themselves all feel and play generic. Games don't feel like battles of different team styles. They feel more like, I'll use what the game engine allows to work well.

The game also lacks immersion and the unexpected.

Yes. The game has improved, but every year it still feels like the same OLD GAME.
One doesn't start adding on to something when the foundation is weak. I'm not saying I'm excusing anything, but it seems apparent that the goal of the past two iterations of Madden was to solidify the foundation/core of the game first, then begin to build from there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »