Home

34 Defence percentage

This is a discussion on 34 Defence percentage within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #17
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: 34 Defence percentage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It's called Normal, and those plays will only be called when facing 21 personnel (2 backs, 1 TE, 2 WRs). It doesn't care about down and distance, only opposing personnel.
I don't see it working like that when I play. Regardless of formation on 1st down, the defense always picks "Normal." This even happens in 2 min situations.

Thanks for looking into it.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
It is reactive, and it works better than you think. Most NFL defenses have given up trying to match CB to WR, and they're moving more and more to sticking with their base on 1st and 2nd down. This does not apply necessarily to all teams, as the Packers and Pats, for instance, have very multiple defenses, but the Ravens are a good example of a team you have to go at least 4 wide to get out of their base.

The basic idea is "Fine, we acknowledge that your 3rd WR is better than our 3rd CB, so we wont bother... we don't think you can block our front 7 if that WR is on the field"... and in the case of those defenses who are leaning more toward base (Jets, Ravens), it's turning out to be true. The Ravens actually do not have a Dime defense.

Thus, no, our AI does not necessarily match you CB for WR, because to do so would not be representative of what those teams do.

What's off in Madden 11, and something we are working very hard to remedy, is the sheer number of times the CPU teams blitz. It's off the charts, and we're working on that.

None of this is to say the CPU playcalling system is representative of the NFL, I'm just trying to direct you guys to the core issue rather than the symptoms and, in some cases, percieved symptoms based on bad information (of which there is a TON, especially from ESPN).
The excessive(and doing so at a illogical time) blitzing has been a bane in EA football games for a very long time.

Also you mention teams choosing to stick with their base more, even vs. 11 Personnel. Defenses in Madden need to show that they can scheme effectively if they make that decision. In the past, that slot guy has almost always been able to get wide open vs. the 3-4 or 4-3. The improved zone defense should help a lot, but we need to see what other improvements have been made in this regard.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #19
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
What's off in Madden 11, and something we are working very hard to remedy, is the sheer number of times the CPU teams blitz. It's off the charts, and we're working on that.
has the *double corner* blitz been removed from the game?...can't recall ever seeing that on sundays

and...when u choose a blitz play..or even when CPU chooses a blitz play...is it better disguised than years past?
Old 05-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #20
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
has the *double corner* blitz been removed from the game?...can't recall ever seeing that on sundays
It is rare, but I've seen it. I recall Gregg Williams bringing it against the Bills.

I don't think it should be removed, but it should be moved way down in the playsheet and should be called by the CPU about as often as the flea flicker.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Thank you, it means a lot to me to read that from someone in an official position, because it's something driving me crazy and really taking a lot of fun out of the game. Because it's just not funny anymore when you see them stack 8 right at the line of scrimmage and you know that all-out blitz they've already called more than a dozen times this game is coming, and the only option you got is either playing the run you've called which will almost always result in a loss or audible to some pass play that will gush the D for big yards every single time, you just feel like you got to choose between losing on purpose or cheating to win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-29-2011, 01:22 AM   #22
MVP

UMhester04's Arena

OVR: 18

Adem, I know you may not be able to answer this but a) is NCAA working on the excessive blitzing problems too since you both share the same engines, and b) does this mean that the CPU defenses account more for the personel that the offense chose rather than the CPU actually "knowing the play"?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 0

Is weight going to have any effect on Madden this year?
Old 05-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
If we were to force the CPU to be in Nickle 50% of the time regardless of what you lined up in, you could go 12 or even 23 personnel and just cram the ball down their 190 lb non-tackling @$$ every play.
Adam, this kinda brings up another issue. Nickle, and Dime defenses are still waaay to effective against base and power run personnel in Madden 11 IMO. Especially, in user vs. user games.

I still play sparingly online and users still break out the Dime defense all game with too much success in my opinion. It's been an ongoing issue in Madden for about as long as I can remember.

I bring this up so that maybe you guys can address this for Madden 12 during these last few weeks of tuning the game before going final, if you haven't already.

Every year a Dev. claims passing personnel will not be effective against power and base run sets but, as of Madden 11 it's still not the case.

Unfortunately, users are still able to have success stopping the run using passing personnel on D. Therefore, making the usage of different packages almost irrelevant in Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »