Home

34 Defence percentage

This is a discussion on 34 Defence percentage within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: 34 Defence percentage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It is reactive, and it works better than you think. Most NFL defenses have given up trying to match CB to WR, and they're moving more and more to sticking with their base on 1st and 2nd down. This does not apply necessarily to all teams, as the Packers and Pats, for instance, have very multiple defenses, but the Ravens are a good example of a team you have to go at least 4 wide to get out of their base.

The basic idea is "Fine, we acknowledge that your 3rd WR is better than our 3rd CB, so we wont bother... we don't think you can block our front 7 if that WR is on the field"... and in the case of those defenses who are leaning more toward base (Jets, Ravens), it's turning out to be true. The Ravens actually do not have a Dime defense.

Thus, no, our AI does not necessarily match you CB for WR, because to do so would not be representative of what those teams do.

What's off in Madden 11, and something we are working very hard to remedy, is the sheer number of times the CPU teams blitz. It's off the charts, and we're working on that.

None of this is to say the CPU playcalling system is representative of the NFL, I'm just trying to direct you guys to the core issue rather than the symptoms and, in some cases, percieved symptoms based on bad information (of which there is a TON, especially from ESPN).
Really really interesting Post...

If they arent going to match Wr for Cb and stay in base the offset should be that the base is more blitz based? Im playing as ravens right now and yes they do stay in base 3-4 but i think its too conservative and you end up with the OLB covering man for man

very cool post, i didnt know that trend but as a D-Cord minded guy i like it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #26
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarver
Is weight going to have any effect on Madden this year?
No, weight isn't going to matter this year.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

Adam, thank you for staying in touch with fans here.

but i do agree with the gist of the complaints on this thread: the CPU often does a horrible (i think) job of matching up D against my human offensive packages.

if i run a 4-WR/HB package on first down, the CPU always (i believe) lines up in a 4/3 or 3/4 defense. my 3rd and 4th WRs have zero problem beating the coverage and the game is a joke at that point it's so easy.

i once was down 4 points, with the field to go, last drive of the game with time running down to the last minute or so, i put out 4 WR and a speed back on the field. it's hail mary time, obviously.

i toss it up deep for a WR, he catches it, runs to get the TD. i'm ecstatic. till i check the Replay and see in hail mary time the CPU D was a 4-3 against my 4 wide receivers. a line backer with like 78 speed was in man coverage against a WR with 93 speed. wow.

this made ZERO sense. stopping the run was pointless as i was down 4 points and had to score a TD and go about 80 yards with about a minute to go.

this made me hate Madden 11 and stop playing for a month or two until i came up with some house rules that basically forced me to play with just 2 WRs most of the time (3 WRs sometimes and 4 WRs never).

when the game is on the line and the human is putting out a hail mary package, a 4-3 defense is incredibly stupid.

please fix this. when the CPU can't match up properly in critical situations like a potentially game winning drive that needs a TD, not a field goal to win, then it sucks the fun and realism out of the game.

ANY real life NFL team would be in a dime or prevent defense at that point.

if this is fixed and i can edit players (which i can), you have my $70 one more time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »