Home

Why can't we get in-game saves?

This is a discussion on Why can't we get in-game saves? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #49
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Why can't we get in-game saves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
What really kills me about the lack of in-game saves is the fact that EA had the nerve to come out with the "quicker, simpler, deeper" marketing slogan for Madden 11.

If they were so concerned about the demographic growing older and acquiring more responsibilities, meaning we have less time for gaming, then just give us in-game saves.
Quicker and simpler was all about game planning. I recall Ian being able to say he could finish a game of FIFA in 30 minutes, and that's what they wanted to accomplish w/Madden. Unfortunately, there were some holes with game planning and the need for in game saves needs to be added.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:53 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Quicker and simpler was all about game planning. I recall Ian being able to say he could finish a game of FIFA in 30 minutes, and that's what they wanted to accomplish w/Madden. Unfortunately, there were some holes with game planning and the need for in game saves needs to be added.
Quicker and simpler wasn't just about game planning. You can tell by some of the commercials, one being the commercial where the father and son put the dog on a treadmill while they got a game in. "Quicker,simple, deeper" was convenience as well as game-planning.

There's a lot less pressure to finish a game within a certain amount of time if you can save the game and get back to it later. Game saves need to be added regardless.

If you girlfriend or wife nags you about about playing video games all the time, being able to finish quicker doesn't resolve every issue all the time. Being able to simply save a game and get back to it at another times makes the girlfriend or wife a non-issue.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 4

count me in for in-game saves being a big deal.

i have busy career, two kids, a demanding wife, a mortgage, a guitar habit, a liquor habit and the internet to finish.

i don't always have time for a 1:15 game without stopping.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #52
Rookie

thecougarbear's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It's a simple question that there's no answer for, and this isn't the forum to really ask.
And where exactly is the appropriate forum to ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It's an atypical example though, if you have your 360 on all the time because you don't have the 15 minutes to finish a game, it probably shouldn't have been on to begin with. I've maybe done the pause and turn off the TV thing maybe twice in the last few years?
This is precisely the point. I do not consistently have time to play the game the way that I want to (8-10 minute quarters, accelerated play clock, play every play of the season). 15 minute games do nothing for me in terms of enjoyment.

So you are right, if I don't have time to play the game, the system shouldn't be on. So I don't buy Madden.

The problem is that the group of people that have supported Madden as a brand for the last 10-15 years are being pushed out of the market by "real" life. A simple feature (unless it is not so simple) would solve this problem and increase yearly sales. It's a win/win situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_XaVo7o3_l
Pause button works just fine for me as well. Turn off my tv and head on out. In-game saves doesn't mean much except for ones who might be worried about power outages or their electric bill but this is really a hard-sell by a lot of peoples when there are simple ways around it.
I will not pause my system, leave it running, waste energy (which is not free for either my checking account or the environment), and produce wear and tear on my 360 (which I have already replaced twice). Pausing is a simple, and expensive, work around.

Bear with me while I offer an economic argument:

An XBOX 360 requires between 150 and 170 watts to run at idle. Electricity rates in Portland run between $0.15 and $0.30/KWH depending on peak hour restrictions. Estimations of average usage time (Link to Study: Here) put the cost of running a 360 between $17 and $34 annually based on Portland rates. Let's say that half of that time is spent playing Madden (between $8 and $17 worth of electricity), and lets say that 2/3 of that time is spent with the game on pause (running a 2 hour errand with the game on pause to play a one hour game, realistic for how I would have to play). That would mean that leaving the game on pause costs between $6 and $12 per year. THE LACK OF A FEATURE causes a $60 game to become a $70 game immediately.

The money you have lost over the course of the 360s lifetime by employing the "pause" work around for playing Madden could have bought you another game (or a free month of electricity) 2007-2011*$6-$12/yr=$30-$60.

Small amounts of money add up. $6-$12/year = ultimately an expensive work around.

Last edited by thecougarbear; 06-03-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #53
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

It is a HUGE deal.

It is almost unacceptable at this point.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #54
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

@thecougarbear, You have to overlook some posters on OS about stuff like this because opinions are like buttholes, the world and OS are full of them.

Any reasonable person can admit you have a valid gripe considering how many other games, across multiple genres and platforms offer in-game saves. Even when Madden devs are on record for stating how quick and easy a feature can be added, some people still seem OPTION adverse. You already know my stance on why this feature hasn't been added thus far but hopefully that changes after this year.

However, if the upgrades for offline franchise, are available for online franchise this year, don't count it. That would just further validate my earlier statements about online capable options, being priority.

Off topic, WTF is Cougarbear? LOL
Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #55
Rookie

thecougarbear's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
@thecougarbear, You have to overlook some posters on OS about stuff like this because opinions are like buttholes, the world and OS are full of them.

Any reasonable person can admit you have a valid gripe considering how many other games, across multiple genres and platforms offer in-game saves. Even when Madden devs are on record for stating how quick and easy a feature can be added, some people still seem OPTION adverse. You already know my stance on why this feature hasn't been added thus far but hopefully that changes after this year.

However, if the upgrades for offline franchise, are available for online franchise this year, don't count it. That would just further validate my earlier statements about online capable options, being priority.

Off topic, WTF is Cougarbear? LOL
Agreed. I'm trying to present a logical, rational, well thought-out argument for in-game saves (and against pausing a game as a work around). Logical, rational, properly constructed and spelled arguments have traditionally been what sets OS apart from other on-line sport game forums.

I do, however, look forward to franchise improvements--whether they are on-line or not. Though, without in-game saves, I'll stick with front-office football for a simulation football manager.

In regard to the cougarbear, long story short: a mythical creature a buddy and I came up with while backpacking in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness a few years ago. It's a cougar... and a bear... basically the most terrifying combination we could think to run into when you are literally in the middle of nowhere with no connection to the outside world. Good times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #56
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
If you girlfriend or wife nags you about about playing video games all the time, being able to finish quicker doesn't resolve every issue all the time. Being able to simply save a game and get back to it at another times makes the girlfriend or wife a non-issue.
Agree w/bolded

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »