Home

Anyone worried about Dynamic player performance????

This is a discussion on Anyone worried about Dynamic player performance???? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #57
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Anyone worried about Dynamic player performance????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
From the Franchise Blog:

"...Each week, every player’s ratings will be different from the week before and will vary based on specific traits tied to our all-new Dynamic Player Performance feature, which we’ll discuss at E3..."

Looking at this a various other tidbits of info, I believe the only part of DPP that will be available in all modes is Player traits. I think this will be the E3 feature, that ended up getting previewed in the pics shown in the Superstar Mode Blog
Ok, that makes since. Though I think Vick does have that inconsistency trait, though I'm sure it's impact is toned down outside of Franchise.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #58
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
Ok, that makes since. Though I think Vick does have that inconsistency trait, though I'm sure it's impact is toned down outside of Franchise.
I just went back and looked at the pics from the Superstar Blog again and I think consistency might be available in all modes too. So if that's right, the only part off DPP that's not relevant to single game modes like play now and online ranked would be confidence/streaks. For example, when playing with the Eagles in an online ranked match, Vick's OVR could range from a 70-90 every game but playing with Colts, Manning OVR would only range from a 97-99. Players couldn't experience streaks because each game is completely separate from the next.

That really will impact even single game modes and bring an added level of "Any Given Sunday" to all modes. I personally love this idea, if it is how it works. However, I can't wait to hear how they are going to address the problems with "quitters" because that is bound to increase with the uncertainty of what inconsistent players OVR will be in each game. LOL

Now this also brings up an interesting element to player streaks and resets. The Franchise blog states that ratings change EVERY game and are controlled by player consistency. Then that confidence, represented by player streaks, can last up to 3 weeks. So it seems that, in all modes, each player's OVR will vary every game based on their tendency and in Franchise mode the player's OVR from that game can be maintained, increased or decreased until a reset.

For example, Out of a range from 70-90 Vick comes in a 90 OVR week 1, plays great, begins a hot streak then carries that 90 OVR into week 2, plays average, streak continues but becomes a warm streak then he carries a 85 OVR into week 3, plays great again, streak becomes hot again he carries a 90 OVR into week 4 but no matter what his performance, his streak ends and Vick's week 5 OVR ranges from 70-90 again. Multiply that by every active player on each team, each week = WINNING! LOL

I don't know if that's how it works but that is most certainly dynamic.

Last edited by Thinking Out Loud; 06-01-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #59
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
A major problem with this is that streaks (especially ones with pre-set endings) do not simulate real-life depth-chart changes. But anyways, it's only a minor worry really. If any of it bothers me when I have the game, I can just edit players' ratings as I see fit.
But outside of injury or extremely poor play, how many changes to the depth chart do you see throughout the course of a season for most NFL teams?

This is the discussion that Thinking Out Loud, myself, and others had a few weeks ago. I won't pretend that I follow each team's player transactions as I do the Cowboys, but I venture to say that most teams do not change depth charts frequently throughout the season. Player personnel decisions are made in training camp; not so much during the season. Players don't shuffle in and out of the starting lineup outside of unique situations (2 young players fighting for a spot, starter is woefully bad and is benched, etc).
Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #60
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

There's a LOT of over-thinking going on here. I always chuckle at the "I'm worried" threads about features we haven't even seen in action yet.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #61
Pro

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
But outside of injury or extremely poor play, how many changes to the depth chart do you see throughout the course of a season for most NFL teams?

This is the discussion that Thinking Out Loud, myself, and others had a few weeks ago. I won't pretend that I follow each team's player transactions as I do the Cowboys, but I venture to say that most teams do not change depth charts frequently throughout the season. Player personnel decisions are made in training camp; not so much during the season. Players don't shuffle in and out of the starting lineup outside of unique situations (2 young players fighting for a spot, starter is woefully bad and is benched, etc).
Well that's exactly what I'd like to see in Madden. With the current system (and possibly even with the new one), even if a player is playing woefully bad, they will never drop in the depth chart. Likewise if there are two young players vying for a position, whoever is rated higher will win the position battle and keep the starting spot for the entire season, regardless of performance. Also, in real life sometimes a backup gets a chance to shine due to an injured starter, and even when the started gets healthy the backup continues to start due to how well they are playing.
There have been plenty of times in Madden when I see something like a backup FS getting way more interceptions than the starter, yet remaining as the backup. There needs to be some mechanism in the game that allows for some shifts in the depth chart throughout the year - anything else is unrealistic. DPP could be that mechanism if it is done right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #62
Banned

OVR: 9

its just like the weekly roster updates online, in a nutshell. good performance youre upgraded, bad one youre downgraded.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #63
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argooos
Well that's exactly what I'd like to see in Madden. With the current system (and possibly even with the new one), even if a player is playing woefully bad, they will never drop in the depth chart. Likewise if there are two young players vying for a position, whoever is rated higher will win the position battle and keep the starting spot for the entire season, regardless of performance. Also, in real life sometimes a backup gets a chance to shine due to an injured starter, and even when the started gets healthy the backup continues to start due to how well they are playing.
There have been plenty of times in Madden when I see something like a backup FS getting way more interceptions than the starter, yet remaining as the backup. There needs to be some mechanism in the game that allows for some shifts in the depth chart throughout the year - anything else is unrealistic. DPP could be that mechanism if it is done right.
You're right in all the examples that you provided. My rebuttal to that is are there more cases of those examples happening versus the depth chart staying relatively the same IRL?

My point is you're giving exceptions to the rule (and there's something to be said for that). But if you were to give me two options (depth chart is dynamic according to dynamic ratings or depth chart doesn't change outside of injury/player transaction), I'd play it on the safe side and go with the latter. There are certainly more cases where the depth chart remains the same throughout a season versus players basically getting benched.

I'll give a real NFL scenario concerning my Cowboys : CB Mike Jenkins went to the Pro Bowl 2 years ago, but stunk it up last year. I imagine he'll have a low consistency rating out the gate and could be susceptible to large rating swings. That said, IRL, it would surprise me if Jenkins put together 1-2 bad weeks next year and was removed from the starting lineup -- only to be re-inserted in the starting lineup 2-3 wks later (the equivalent of the Madden ratings resetting). Does that sound realistic? Jenkins wouldn't have earned his starting job back; it would be given back to him as a result the built-in reset mechanic. With the structure of DPP being the way that it is, it's best that the depth chart NOT shuffle dynamically.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:10 PM   #64
Rookie

89OneHanded's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhyankees
My concern is because THE GAME ALREADY DOES THIS. Anyone could tell you that they go through streaks in franchise mode...
Madden does not already do this. What you are confusing as streaks is the hidden "momentum" that EA writes into these games. I despise this hidden feature, because it's too easy to exploit once you get the "momentum" in your favor, and just completely destroy the computer by keeping it from swinging back in the CPU's favor. You can feel a change in the game when you score a touchdown or get an interception, everything suddenly gets a bit easier. Your blockers block a little better, the defenders play worse in coverage, ugh I hate it so much. This "momentum" thing, however, does not translate outside of the current game. Once the game is over, the player's abilities are set back to what they were when the game started.

I sincerely think I will enjoy the singular player streaks, I really do. Even if some frustration comes from it, what really strikes me about this rather than the "momentum" garbage is that it's only one player. I'm excited to see when one player is in a slump and playing badly to watch other players step up and fill the gap, only to have the spot they left open exploited. This is realistic, and I like it.

I assure you though, Madden does not already have this feature.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »