Home

QB accuracy ratings....

This is a discussion on QB accuracy ratings.... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
QB accuracy ratings....

I've always wondered about this and think I have an answer. The reason I ask is, when trying to set up sliders I go to practice mode and have the QB throw streak patterns. I pick a great deep acc QB and a poor one. I adjust the sliders so that I see a difference and then tweek them based on in game performance.

Question: Does the deep acc (or any other acc) tell me a % of times the ball will be on target? Or does it tell me the % of accuracy on a given throw. I believe it to be the latter because with a poor acc QB in practice mode it seems the deep ball is never on target. It's drifted right or left, while the good QB is closer or right on target with his passes. No other things such as getting hurried, hit, moving, coverage etc could affect the accuracy of the throw too but these are what I found in practice mode.

Anyone with any thoughts on this?

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: QB accuracy ratings....

I haven't looked into this much but I have seen QB's with really low DAC completing bombs occasionally so I don't think it's the latter.

However, every deep throw from a low accuracy RB or WR seems to be waaaay off. That's a point towards it being based on variation off the target.

This may be one of those things, though, where it's a combination of factors that the rating represents and hence the slightly different manifestations in game across the wide spread of ratings.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

The issue I have with QB accuracy at the moment is I really don't believe it works exactly the way it's drawn up, along with many other ratings in the game. They were added during the 2008 and 2009 "smoke and mirrors" additions to the game and I just don't believe half that crap every worked.

I think the one thing that is "tweaked" with QBs with lower accuracy is that the WRs simply don't catch as many balls as they should. There are so many instances where I've been playing and made the exact same throw to a highly rated WR only to have him drop it. Turn around and make the same throw with Tom Brady to some no-name WR and he catches everytime.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
The issue I have with QB accuracy at the moment is I really don't believe it works exactly the way it's drawn up, along with many other ratings in the game. They were added during the 2008 and 2009 "smoke and mirrors" additions to the game and I just don't believe half that crap every worked.

I think the one thing that is "tweaked" with QBs with lower accuracy is that the WRs simply don't catch as many balls as they should. There are so many instances where I've been playing and made the exact same throw to a highly rated WR only to have him drop it. Turn around and make the same throw with Tom Brady to some no-name WR and he catches everytime.
Feels like I've been defending EA all day ...

But I think that accuracy works as intended. I predominantly play as Romo, who is relatively accurate QB. He misses some throws, but I can complete most of them. But there is a marked difference when you go from playing a Romo to a Drew Brees/Aaron Rodgers. They still overshoot some throws, but they excel at putting the ball in tight spots near the sideline and over the shoulder (at times) so that the defender can't make a play.

My issue with accuracy is that inaccuracy is TOO drastic. Sometimes, you can't tell who the ball was intended for because it's so far off. I wish inaccuracy equated to balls being in near viscinity but uncatchable, or behind the receiver, or just out of the receivers reach.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Rookie

Romo's accuracy ratings are surprisingly low (80's) for a guy with such a high real-life completion %.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
Rookie

It's interesting, though, that I remember in previous Maddens, batted passes were what kept completion %'s reasonable. Of course, that meant Madden had way more batted passes than you would ever see in real life.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
They work. I've played with so many different QBs (I love drafting QBs) and I could really feel the difference, especially on All-Madden with QB Accuracy down to 6-8, you will have a hard time completing any kind of pass with a rookie with poor accuracy while you can still torch the CPU with Brady or Manning if you get the skills.

The problem is of course, that there's no area in the game where user skill is as important as in throwing the ball. Reading the defense, finding the open man, get the timing right, use the right throw power, aim the ball, all that of course has nothing to do with player ratings, that's all about user skills. But a better QB will have a much higher margin of error on this kind of stuff than a bad one.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

I should rephrase that. I know they work, but I'm not convinced there is a difference between Throw Short, Med, and Long.

Regardless, there is a marked difference between throwing with Peyton Manning and throwing with lol Clausen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »