Home

Madden NFL 12 Blog - Detailed Look at Dynamic Player Performance (Shopmaster)

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 12 Blog - Detailed Look at Dynamic Player Performance (Shopmaster) within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63
Re: Madden NFL 12 Blog - Detailed Look at Dynamic Player Performance (Shopmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
I completely agree with having a "hot/cold indicator" but allowing the User to view the numeric affect these streaks have on player ratings, lessens the immersion for me. I want to know when players are being streaky but not know exactly what that means for their skill sets.

That's TMI and EA needs to keep some mystery in the User/Virtual Player relationship, in Madden.
Agree but look at it this way. Say it was completely hidden then you would have people complaining that they don't notice the effect and it was a "hype marketing" gimmick which is a placebo.

This kinda of gives some proof that it is working. Plus like others are saying, just don't hit pause or go look at the ratings during the game. Just play the game from start to finish and there you go.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 12 Blog - Detailed Look at Dynamic Player Performance (Shopmaster)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
I completely agree with having a "hot/cold indicator" but allowing the User to view the numeric affect these streaks have on player ratings, lessens the immersion for me. I want to know when players are being streaky but not know exactly what that means for their skill sets.

That's TMI and EA needs to keep some mystery in the User/Virtual Player relationship, in Madden.
Did it say that we would see the numeric effect? Maybe I have to look at the screens again. All I saw was an arrow pointing up/down with a brief description. And you only see that if you press pause.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Agree but look at it this way. Say it was completely hidden then you would have people complaining that they don't notice the effect and it was a "hype marketing" gimmick which is a placebo.

This kinda of gives some proof that it is working. Plus like others are saying, just don't hit pause or go look at the ratings during the game. Just play the game from start to finish and there you go.
Yea, if you don't have visual proof, even if it's working, you're liable to forget it's there (I know I will). I agree completely with this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
In one instance while playing against the Bears in Madden NFL 12, I was constantly putting pressure on Jay Cutler. I could see by the second qtr it was on his mind because he was passing way before my pressure was getting to him and before the WR was open. There were a couple that bounced in the dirt. I think the consistency will play a huge role in Madden NFL 12. I really noticed the difference in especially the QB when playing the computer.
That's the Jay Cutler I know!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Yea, if you don't have visual proof, even if it's working, you're liable to forget it's there (I know I will). I agree completely with this.
In a sense, you should know the roster of the team you'e playing with. Same goes for knowing the team you're playing against.

I, for one, am not for the indicators, at least on a expanded level. I don't need to have numbers under EVERY player indicating his rating swing, along with a hot/cold icon, and his confidence. The hot/cold icon would be enough, as it would let BOTH sides know who's hot and who's not, and it would also put an added strategical element in the game.
Do you roll the coverage towards a hot Calvin Johnson, knowing that the Lions are limited and unproven elsewhere in the passing game?

Do you load the box against a hot Chris Johnson, knowing that the Titans have a young rookie in Jake Locker at the helm? What do you do if he rings off 5 consecutive completions, putting him in a rhythm? Would you back off? Would you bring heat, which could open up lanes for CJ?

I could see WHY indicators are necessary, not only for the offense, but for the defense. I actually think DDP will appeal more to us hardcore/sim gamers, as I know my casual gamer friends won't care much. So indicators would go a lot way if added CORRECTLY. Limit it to a hot/cold icon at the LOS, and maybe somehow tell us if a guy is nervous or riding high.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySmooov
In a sense, you should know the roster of the team you'e playing with. Same goes for knowing the team you're playing against.

I, for one, am not for the indicators, at least on a expanded level. I don't need to have numbers under EVERY player indicating his rating swing, along with a hot/cold icon, and his confidence. The hot/cold icon would be enough, as it would let BOTH sides know who's hot and who's not, and it would also put an added strategical element in the game.
Do you roll the coverage towards a hot Calvin Johnson, knowing that the Lions are limited and unproven elsewhere in the passing game?

Do you load the box against a hot Chris Johnson, knowing that the Titans have a young rookie in Jake Locker at the helm? What do you do if he rings off 5 consecutive completions, putting him in a rhythm? Would you back off? Would you bring heat, which could open up lanes for CJ?

I could see WHY indicators are necessary, not only for the offense, but for the defense. I actually think DDP will appeal more to us hardcore/sim gamers, as I know my casual gamer friends won't care much. So indicators would go a lot way if added CORRECTLY. Limit it to a hot/cold icon at the LOS, and maybe somehow tell us if a guy is nervous or riding high.
I agree that you should have an idea of the team you're playing with -- but surfing through your opponent's depth chart can be cumbersome. That's why for me, it's ideal that the new broadcast presentation introduce the starters (we'll see about that).

While I don't always agree with the way EA implements features, this one I feel they got right. I'd rather not have a hot/cold icon at the LOS. If I need that information, I'll go to info central i.e pause menu.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0
only pansies have to know that their player is on fire or not with blinking icons/meters etc.

seriously, shouldn't you be able to tell that somebody is hot if they're making phenomenal plays consistently, or if they seem to be breaking more tackles when they usually dont?

it's not that hard to get a hold of guys. you all seem to want playmaker icons under the players names again. Get a life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #16
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2krunk4u
only pansies have to know that their player is on fire or not with blinking icons/meters etc.

seriously, shouldn't you be able to tell that somebody is hot if they're making phenomenal plays consistently, or if they seem to be breaking more tackles when they usually dont?

it's not that hard to get a hold of guys. you all seem to want playmaker icons under the players names again. Get a life.
Gotta love the internet tough guys ...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »