Home

Time for voice actors rather than real commentators?

This is a discussion on Time for voice actors rather than real commentators? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Time for voice actors rather than real commentators?

If they cant improve the commentary with the "real" guy doing the work, then yes, Im in favor of bringing in voice actors, and I love the idea of having a different set depending on the network that the game is shown on. On that not, they should also be able to devote much more time to a halftime/postgame show, with a voiceactor recording practically countless different situations for highlights.

I would love, love, love to have the time between plays spent with the guys talking about the stats of the game, players stats so far on the season, team standings, the playoff chase, ect. Other games, such as The Show, do a much better job.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 5

Didnt 2k do this? I dont completly recall but I thought they did and it was pritty solid.

Nfl commentators are great, until they realize that they only record lines for about 2 days and their all scripted. Hiring some real actors who can handle scripted lines better and can give you far more lines would be far better.

Hire out 6 different actors even and have 3 different crews. Im wondering if anyone knows how much ea pays gus johnson? I wouldnt think actors would cost much more.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

While I agree with the general premise of using voice actors to better allocate resources, I think doing so right now would be "putting the cart before the horse". What I mean is, 2k has used voice actors in NFL2k5 and real commentators in NBA2k11 with both sounding good. That shows that's it's possible to have good commentary with either one but suggests that the implementation, not the voices, of commentary is the key.

Until EA can resolve whatever implementation issues they seem to have concerning commentary, going to voice actors would probably do more harm than good. Imagine continuing the same quality of commentary that's currently in Madden while switching to voice actors and losing the marketable name recognition that came with real commentators.

Multiple sets of voice actors doing current Madden quality commentary would be multiplying the issue, not solving it. No need to do it more or potentially cheaper until they figure out, how to do it right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #12
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

As long as the voice actors sounded different and not the same.

Sorry, after awhile, Dan and Peter sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #13
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

I agree that it is not the commentators fault for the poor audio, it has more to do with the implementation. Look at last year, there was just random gaps of no audio while you were at the line of scrimmage (i think that had to do more with Gameflow and the coordinator audio). Plus they dont really call the action, they just announce things it in the middle and end of plays...
Old 06-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #14
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
WTF? what? How the hell do people complain about realism, then wanna get rid of something.....uh.....real?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
As long as the voice actors sounded different and not the same.

Sorry, after awhile, Dan and Peter sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard.
Dan and Peter were awesome, roadman. IMO, those guys sounded like they should be broadcasters. They're one of the reasons NFL 2k5 still has a fuzzy place in my heart.

/NFL2k5talk

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #16
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by The GIGGAS
Dan and Peter were awesome, roadman. IMO, those guys sounded like they should be broadcasters. They're one of the reasons NFL 2k5 still has a fuzzy place in my heart.

/NFL2k5talk
I will agree to this. Chemistry in a game. I still hold Madden/Summerall(sp) close to my heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »