Home

Best rookie draft you had?

This is a discussion on Best rookie draft you had? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-30-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
Champs!

Kearnzo's Arena

OVR: 18
Best rookie draft you had?

Just wondering what your guys best rookie draft was.

Well, after my second year with the Ravens, I loaded the '04 draft class to Madden. I had a pretty good season, so I didn't have that great of a pick. But, I had a couple glaring problems.

One, Jamal Lewis wasn't cutting it. So, I traded him and my 1st Round pick I believe for the first pick in the draft and the first pick of round 2. My second string CB (can't remember his name at the moment) also wasn't cutting, with a very low INT total and few tackles. So, I traded him (an 84 rating) and a couple others (I believe my 4th round draft pick and another player) for the 2nd pick in the draft. Well, draft time rolls around, and I NEED a HB and a CB mostly. So, I obviously think to scout Clarett and Gamble, who I figured would be nice fits. I also scout numerous others like Kellen Winslow, Karlos Dansby, etc. So, it was draft time, and I had the first and second picks in the draft, along with the first pick of round 2 and the rest of the picks. So, here are the main people I got in the draft:

First pick: Maurice Clarett
Second pick: Chris Gamble
Second round pick: Karlos Dansby
Third Round pick: Kellen Winslow (couldn't believe everyone passed him up!)

Well, I figured when I was about to sign everyone, I had myself a pretty darn good draft. Then I went to sign Clarett, and noticed he wanted like 4-5 million the first year, and a large bonus. I was like alright, might as well, he will probably be my future. So, I sign him, and he is already an 88!! My jaw dropped when I saw that, seeing how he was a rookie and was already better overall than Jamal Lewis, who I traded. I couldn't believe it. But then, I went to sign Gamble. He also wanted quite a bit, well, atleast a lot for a CB. I obviously sign him, since I needed a second stringer even more. Then it showed his overall after I signed him.... he was a friggen 93 out of the draft!!! I almost pissed myself after this. I couldn't believe it one bit.

So, I went on, and signed Dansby long term, who started as a 78 with an 80 speed rating (he is up to an 87 after the first season already) and he has made my LB corps by far and away the best in the league. I also signed Winslow long term, and he started as an 83, and gave me a very dangerous TE combo on 2 TE sets.

I couldn't believe how insane of a draft class I had gotten. It was unbelievable. After the first year, Clarett is up to a 92, Gamble a 96, Dansby an 87, and Winslow an 87. I also traded for Brandon Jacobs out of Auburn about 3 weeks in when Clarett got hurt for 2 weeks. He is a 78, and is an absolute MANBEAST. He's like 6'4, 270 or so pounds, and he's semi quick. His break tackle is really high. He's basically a mini Bettis, and he's my backup.

The year before this, I also used the '03 draft class, and got James Newson (WR from Oregon State) who's an 89 overall now and my go to reciever. He also has 99 speed, which doesn't hurt. I also got a DT, don't remember from where, who is up to a 90 now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #2
All Star

OVR: 19
Re: Best rookie draft you had?

Quote:

I almost pissed myself after this.

Just kiddin yo! Congrats on your draft!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:00 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:

Kearnzo said:

One, Jamal Lewis wasn't cutting it. So, I traded him and my 1st Round pick I believe for the first pick in the draft and the first pick of round 2. My second string CB (can't remember his name at the moment) also wasn't cutting, with a very low INT total and few tackles. So, I traded him (an 84 rating) and a couple others (I believe my 4th round draft pick and another player) for the 2nd pick in the draft.

I personally consider this cheating, and wouldnt ruin the rest of the league like this. But that is a killer draft bro.
Old 08-30-2003, 11:48 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:

personally consider this cheating

How's that cheating if the game lets him do that?
Old 08-31-2003, 12:15 AM   #5
We'll waste him too.

snepp's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:

Mauler97 said:
Quote:

personally consider this cheating

How's that cheating if the game lets him do that?

True, it's not like he was signing the best available free agents and then trading them right away. A starting HB + a 1st round pick for the #1 overall + a 2nd round pick isn't exactly far-fetched, and definately not cheating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2003, 12:33 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 14

Ive only done one so...mine was after my first year with the bucs, it was non imported...I got RB Thomas Gaines a 78 (80 now to start the season), Darius Jones 73 (now 74 to start season) LG John Christiansen 71 (74 to start season)

...and im 1 game into my second year...went 1-3 in preseason beating Greenbay, and losing to Chicago, StLouis and the Jets...

I then lost the season opener at home 23-16 to Carolina week 1...

- Christiansen isnt starting at LG

- Gaines had 12 Carries 47 yards, 3 catches 29 yards

- Jones 0 catches, but a 82 yard kick return to the carolina 17 yardline which was big at the time down 16-6
Old 08-31-2003, 12:49 AM   #7
MVP

Meatloaf86's Arena

OVR: 11

there's a few that were good. i traded Kevin Johnson, Randell Godfrey and my 1st round pick for the #1 overall pick. then i had the 12th pick from Carolina after i traded Couch to them in week 6 of my first season.

1st pick Roy Williams started at like a 84 or 85
12th pick Nathan Vasher started at like a 81 or 82 with 95 speed
30th pick of 2nd round Joe Navarre started at 75 and is now up to a 76 after mini camp

i'm about to play my last regular season game and then playoffs tomorrow. hopefully i can get through the playoffs and what not tomorrow so i can copy down the players in the draft and get there names. i didn't put all the rosters in while playing NCAA. i just did the stand out players and the players i knew would be drafted the 1st year. so i have the 2nd year to put in. i'm looking to get Anthony Davis and maybe trade Jameel White or William Green as much as i don't want to. i'm also looking to get Kellen Winslow. i really need some LBs to in the later rounds.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:52 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

the best rookie draft I have ever had was my second year with my franchise (The Buffalo Bills) The Vickings had the number 1 pick and the cards had the number 2 pick. I traded for the number 2 cause of this amazing quater back named Zack Aganew,(now known as Marshal Mathers) he is fast as mike fick and he is the savior to our franchise (including moulds, reed, up and coming mcgehee and Oh Henry) He is as fast as mike vick and he is storng also. We built a brand new stadium and everything. So if you ever can run over a pick named Zack Aganew then pick him up cause he is nasty as ever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »