Home

Dropping Back Deep and Throwing [M12]

This is a discussion on Dropping Back Deep and Throwing [M12] within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Dropping Back Deep and Throwing [M12]

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
So, would you agree that the current group developers have watched a game of football "more than just wanna work" and are paving the way for top notch gameplay?

The improvements this year are hard to ignore.
Like I said, the improvements are great, its just having to get hands on with the game to feel that passion when you get to play it in the game.

The cheesy stuff they overlook is what eats at my soul with this game, its like every year those first few weeks tell you what you cane xpect from online play and its like the devs erase that from there memory every cycle.

Its like the players have more programming control over our games than the devs do at times.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #34
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6

Its like the players have more programming control over our games than the devs do at times.
I don't know how many are online players and I don't know how many developers there are, but there are probably 5 times as many eyes as online players vs developers.

That's an exaggerated guess, at best.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #35
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Someone, please tell when the last time you have ever seen a QB irl drop back 20+ yards and make an accurate throw downfield or across his body?
I'm having a hard time remembering any recent, specific plays, but check out these Fran Tartkenton highlights. He's famous for running around like a chicken with his head cut off and heaving completions.

I post this to say, allow users to run around all they want. Don't penalize accuracy arbitrarily. Just make sure the throw-on-the-run ratings work and fix the DE's rush upfield and their pursuit angles. Notice how Tarkenton can never just sprint out of the pocket. He either has to find a hole inside or go backwards to get outside.

Quote:
What really frustrating is the elusiveness of the QBs in these situations and how poised they are when they throw the ball as if that 800 pound gorilla isnt inches from knocking them out of the game after they attempt to throw or successfully make the pass. I would love for QBs who get beat up like that be more prone to getting injured or something to curve this from being truly excessive in online lobby play like it should be.

Just saying, after getting hit from a Dwight Freeney or Mario Williams a few times from these backward scrambles should have any QB rattled the next time they try to throw a pass making it more of a "only when needed basis" for doing such a silly tactic.
I believe the excess elusiveness is due to the lack of proper footwork. That lack of footwork is killing the spacing & timing of the game. This is just one instance.

And it would be nice if QBs were effected by the hits. They eluded to this being in the game with the E. Manning vid. I don't remember if he was being effected by hits or bad throws though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'm having a hard time remembering any recent, specific plays, but check out these Fran Tartkenton highlights. He's famous for running around like a chicken with his head cut off and heaving completions.

I post this to say, allow users to run around all they want. Don't penalize accuracy arbitrarily. Just make sure the throw-on-the-run ratings work and fix the DE's rush upfield and their pursuit angles. Notice how Tarkenton can never just sprint out of the pocket. He either has to find a hole inside or go backwards to get outside.

I believe the excess elusiveness is due to the lack of proper footwork. That lack of footwork is killing the spacing & timing of the game. This is just one instance.

And it would be nice if QBs were effected by the hits. They eluded to this being in the game with the E. Manning vid. I don't remember if he was being effected by hits or bad throws though.
If throwing on the run and completing passes down the field was as challenging as is was in that video, I'd have no problem with it, and would actually have respect for my opponent's stick skills, but the problem is that it shouldn't as easy as it is right now. You can get outside the pocket in " that other game," but it's a lot harder to consistently complete passes when rolling outside the pocket.

What EA needs to do, and hopefully they've done it on higher difficulty levels, is to get the dlinemen to get up the field, and EA needs to make the game respect proper QB mechanics.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #37
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I agree with Liquor Logic. If my opponent had to play like Fran Tarkington, using great stick skills to avoid pass rushers that were on his nutz, then I wouldn't have much of a problem. Less so if, like BeZo said, there was good footwork in the game. However, they don't and there isn't.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #38
Rookie

GGEden's Arena

OVR: 11

In the E3 Cowboys video in the other thread, Romo throws the ball from his own 15 and it reaches all the way to the 15 on the other side of the field lol. It could've been thrown even further if there was a Cowboys receiver in the endzone. Those deep lob passes will always travel as far as there is a receiver, which is not a good way to program that.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #39
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

LL/PG,

We're on the same page. My point is that folks are blaming the users, making house rules, asking developers to penalize scramblers instead of asking them to fix the real problems, the d-line and their lack of an upfield rush & contain AI, engaged player mobility & realistic footwork.

Every vid with a scrabling QB, the first thing folks point to is the user and his arcade style. I want users to try whatever they want. As the Tarkenton vid shows, scrabling around like a maniac is not cheese. I just wish OS gamers claiming to be sim would ask for sim improvements instead of arbitrary limitations.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:06 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Check the Philip Rivers video. It's beyond egregious. I think it's like a 25 yard dropback and a 50 yard throw (maybe more, I didn't measure).

I actually like lots of what I see in terms of the gameplay, but I think the game still has that really bad tendency of allowing clowns to play like clowns without suffering any real consequences.

Which is why I spend 90% of my gaming in offline franchise.

If interested these are my Madden 12 sliders: http://www.operationsports.com/forum...dden-12-a.html

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »