Home

Bill Abner, Sim Reviewer, Initial Thoughts on Madden 12

This is a discussion on Bill Abner, Sim Reviewer, Initial Thoughts on Madden 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #25
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Bill Abner, Sim Reviewer, Initial Thoughts on Madden 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDalewood
Lol, I agree. A true "sim" gamer doesn't need to consistently label himself as such just so people know. It goes the same for, say, a genius; he doesn't constantly need to tell people he is. If you actually are what you say you are, people will figure it out without you having to tell them.
Fellas, he didn't label himself a "sim reviewer or gamer." Many people, including myself, have labeled him a sim reviewer throughout the years.

I feel a lot of people don't know who Bill Abner is because he doesn't belong to an IGN or Gamespot and want to express MY opinion of where he comes from.

Bill is one of the critics I read up on when my games comes out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #26
All Star

DickDalewood's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Fellas, he didn't label himself a "sim reviewer or gamer." Many people, including myself, have labeled him a sim reviewer throughout the years.

I feel a lot of people don't know who Bill Abner is because he doesn't belong to an IGN or Gamespot and want to express MY opinion of where he comes from.

Bill is one of the critics I read up on when my games comes out.
I actually wasn't referring to Abner there, just commenting on the poster's opinion.

My only complaint with Abner is that it seems like every year he tries to create an uproar with his "Wow the ps3 version looks significantly worse than the 360" comments. This hasn't been true now for almost four years once the games are finalized and shipped, and I would think by now he would have figured that out.

Last edited by DickDalewood; 06-09-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #27
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
I actually wasn't referring to Abner there, just commenting on the poster's opinion.

My only complaint with Abner is that it seems like every year he tries to create an uproar with his "Wow the ps3 version looks significantly worse than the 360" comments. This hasn't been true now for almost four years once the games are finalized and shipped, and I would think by now he would have figures that out.
Ok, understood. Frankly, I grabbed your post because it was closer, but I wanted to point out that in some other cases, it's not the reviewers that label themselves, it's their audience, like me.

Last edited by roadman; 06-09-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #28
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Before I read this, I just wanna throw out there; I think Bill Abner is the single best sports video game reviewer out there. He's very honest, very forward, and can be harsh, but he is ultimately my go-to guy for sports games. Now, I'm going to see how badly he skewered us

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:27 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 39

Seemed like an honest assessment.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 PM   #30
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

Quote:
The good news is that it's not the ratings that go up and down. It's more like this...
I have to say I'm a little confused at this point with dynamic ratings and DPP.

I know that DPP affects what happens during the game, and traits/tendencies change dynamically.

With ratings, they change from game to game correct? If I go to player management/depth chart, are they showing me the dynamic ratings or the real ones? Are they color coded (or any other indicator) to let the user know a specific rating is up or down? Or do the ratings as they appear to us stay the same, whereas the rating swings are under the hood (thus not knowing what Jay Cutler you're going to get).
Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Lol, I agree. A true "sim" gamer doesn't need to consistently label himself as such just so people know. It goes the same for, say, a genius; he doesn't constantly need to tell people he is. If you actually are what you say you are, people will figure it out without you having to tell them.
Actually, I like the fact he isn't as interested in bells and whistles because it tells me he would be looking for the same issues I would be looking for, game play. I want to know if the running physics are the same as last year where speed is all that matters and speed HB's can cut, change direction and not have any kind of change of momentum.

The people that comment on team entrances and talk only about how great the game looks are the ones that I give little ear time to. I want to hear about game play, because that is the main issue with Madden. The game looks pretty good every year or at least better than the year before.

Can we play a game this year that is not a cheese fest that doesn't feel like an arcade experience? That is what I want to know. I want to see game play from guys who play sim and I want to see plenty of running footage to see how HB's move. That will be the difference in whether I buy Madden this year or not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #32
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I have to say I'm a little confused at this point with dynamic ratings and DPP.

I know that DPP affects what happens during the game, and traits/tendencies change dynamically.

With ratings, they change from game to game correct? If I go to player management/depth chart, are they showing me the dynamic ratings or the real ones? Are they color coded (or any other indicator) to let the user know a specific rating is up or down? Or do the ratings as they appear to us stay the same, whereas the rating swings are under the hood (thus not knowing what Jay Cutler you're going to get).
You get an icon showing you whether a player is hot or cold, or you can look at his specific confidence or consistency level, but it doesn't change the displayed ratings.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »