Home

Why are people so sensitive and personally invested?

This is a discussion on Why are people so sensitive and personally invested? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #145
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Why are people so sensitive and personally invested?

Going to simplify it from my point of view anyways...

If they butcher the Batman movies, I'd be just as "passionate" about
that. Depends on what you love/d and don't love.

I don't hate EA or hate Madden. I in fact love Madden. That's why I'm passionate about getting a better game.

Also.. there's a difference between being passionate and just being a complainer. Need to keep the 2 seperated.

Good thread and come on August 30TH!!!

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #146
Hall Of Fame

Jistic's Arena

OVR: 28

If someone enjoys Madden for what it is, I have no issues with that. If someone has to enter the "acceptance phase" of the grieving process to enjoy it that's an entirely different thing. It's like "Oh well, the game isn't very good but what's the point in complaining anymore."

Gaming is a huge hobby for me, always will be I mean I'm 40 at this point if I haven't quit I never will. I love the hobby, but still don't waste time with crappy games. I gamefly everything except a very select few titles that I buy because I know they'll be good. Madden has not seen the light of October in my game collection for years. No matter how I try to force myself to "enjoy it for what it is", I can't waste my limited gaming time trying to make myself like something I don't. It's like I need marriage counseling for me and my videogame to work it all out.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #147
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
I only read the first page of posts, so someone has probably already touched on this. So, I will say what I need to and bounce.

First and foremost, I feel deceived by EA Sports with their football titles. I bought Madden 07 thru 10, and NCAA 07 thru 09. Each time believing what they were saying. But, ultimately became so frustrated with the whole smoke and mirrors advertising that I decided to stop supporting. Their are problems that haven't been resolved, and it seems like their is a mindset with the developers in the past (not so sure about this year, since I have little interest), "Oh those silly YouTube Madden Critics, they complain about everything." Instead of humbly listening to what they have to say. Do some nitpick everything? Sure. But you can't just throw out the baby with the bathwater, many times there are legitimate issues brought up. This whole "holier than thou" attitude toward anyone who raises a question about the product, is a big turn off to me. And pretty much proves the point of many Madden Critics out there.
This guy hit it right on the head. I as well feel slighted by EA. NOBODY can tell me that EA has put in a full effort for the last 6 years. If you think that, which I DOUBT anybody seriously does, you are lying to yourself and dead WRONG. Bottom line is when they got the license they took years off and did minimum.

To elaborate, every year they come out with their blogs and what they added. But when it came time to play the game some stuff they touted wasn't even in the game and most stuff they did add never worked right. I mean painfully obvious things that if they would have tested for 2 hours and gave a poop about they would have seen. Which means either they were incompetent testers or they didnt give an Eff.....I go with B.

Also, Why was "Thinking Out Loud" Banned? From reading this thread he was just discussing his thoughts with other members. And if you want to say he was disrespectful then OK he may have been. However, BKRICH83 was more disrespectful and should be banned as well. But this forum seems to FAVOR anyone who sides with EA and defends them. #FACTS

Last edited by Tecmo Bowl; 06-11-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #148
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmo Bowl

Also, Why was "Thinking Out Loud" Banned?
We don't discuss why we ban people.

Lets move on.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 PM   #149
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
We don't discuss why we ban people.

Lets move on.
LMao? what is this a cult? But I digress. BTW I love madden. ANd EA. GO team
Old 06-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #150

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
I also used to be that angry football gamer when 06 and 07 came out. After that Didn't have very high expectations. I had some fun with 09 and 10, but they were lacking for sure. I didn't even buy 11, and for the first time I was cool with it. I just moved on. No anger or disappointment at all.
Word for word that pretty much sums up what I felt about the next gen gaming of football. Had some fun with 09' and 10'. Didn't buy 11 until I bought it used like 3 or 4 months ago. I didn't even keep up with the videos and the info that came out, that is how much I lost interest in Madden.

Hardly even posted in this forum for most of 2010.

I think this game has the potential to be the best ever this gen in a big way. I'm beginning to expect huge leaps in gameplay and other areas. The only thing I've really been disgusted with is the commentary. I expect pretty much the same commentary as 11'. I know commentary couldn't be worked on but, If the presentation is this good from what I've seen this year I expect the commentary to really go to the next level in 13'.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #151
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Ok, every year I want to love Madden. I enjoyed 10 more than 11 for whatever reason- even though I will concede that most think 11 is a superior title. Before that, I played last gen. I'm pretty excited for M12

I understand there's only one choice for the NFL. I understand that people think there was a better title over half a decade ago. I want to love every game I play, and am disappointed when I don't.

But my question is, why do people take Madden so seriously??/!!! Over the years, this has been the most heated forum- many posts sounding like someone insulted your mom or wife or something.

In the end it's just a video game, right? And I spend A LOT of time playing video games... so what do you attribute it's "hot button " game status to?

Please, be civil... and try to go deeper than "EA is corrupt and screwed gamers with the exclusive, etc." Think along the lines of "What made this game a cultural icon to begin with... and when did it happen?"
For me, its the time I took developing skill to play the way I do and then get my world crushed by some 5 minute youtube video jerk who runs the same 3 plays all game and dominates me with ease and no knowledge of the game. Then proceeds to send you messages on how "sorry" you are at madden.

It may sound like a rant, but there is just something about taking "your team" online and making a respectable name for yourself based on how well you are at the sticks. It just hurts when you see the same crap year after year and the only thing being done is adding useless features that most times dont work properly.

Coming from a football background, you cant help but shake your head at the fundamental flaws in the game yr after yr. My excitement for madden had died until the news of madden 12 came thru like a hurricane and got me excited for madden again. In the back of my head, im like, "the competition online is gonna suffer yet again when people find the flaws and exploit them to the top".

I know its some trivial stuff, but its what floats my boat whether im in my online franchises or online lobby play. But to have that thrill and excitement taken away from me by someone who just doesnt wanna take the time to learn it fundamentals of this game and rather cheat me, leaves me feeling like never buying or playing madden for lengths of time.

I just dont see the appeal of taking a game thats far from arcadey in real life and making it so in the virtual world and think everything and everyone is happy when its totally the opposite. Now that you are the only game in town with legit teams, and yet you still dont do nothing about the people who drive away legit ballers like myself, is like a slap in the face.

I just miss the days when I could come home and play my favorite hobby against someone online and not have to worry about if im gonna get cheated or not. That's why its so personal and im so invested in this after just finally getting the hang of having some solid gameplay after all these years.

Sorry if this sounds more like a rant, but I love football virtually and irl, and I hate seeing people do things in this game that wouldnt even be possible in the real life sport on sunday's.

I would also like to add, even though I have just about every game on PS3, I play madden the most for some reason even when I do complete the other games I enjoy and own. I just try to play online games that are very difficult to cheat at and the good games outnumber the bad ones by a large margin. But for what its worth, playing the same few people online all the time (like friends) gets kinda boring and I like to keep my gameplan and scheme unique to all I play. I love to keep people guessing as they assume I may be a cheater just they maybe to me, but I keeps it real all the way thru.

Last edited by Smoke6; 06-11-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added text
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #152
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmo Bowl
LMao? what is this a cult? But I digress. BTW I love madden. ANd EA. GO team
I suggest you tread lightly if you want to stay here.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »