Home

Why are people so sensitive and personally invested?

This is a discussion on Why are people so sensitive and personally invested? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36
Why are people so sensitive and personally invested?

Ok, every year I want to love Madden. I enjoyed 10 more than 11 for whatever reason- even though I will concede that most think 11 is a superior title. Before that, I played last gen. I'm pretty excited for M12

I understand there's only one choice for the NFL. I understand that people think there was a better title over half a decade ago. I want to love every game I play, and am disappointed when I don't.

But my question is, why do people take Madden so seriously??/!!! Over the years, this has been the most heated forum- many posts sounding like someone insulted your mom or wife or something.

In the end it's just a video game, right? And I spend A LOT of time playing video games... so what do you attribute it's "hot button " game status to?

Please, be civil... and try to go deeper than "EA is corrupt and screwed gamers with the exclusive, etc." Think along the lines of "What made this game a cultural icon to begin with... and when did it happen?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Why are people so sensitive and personally invested?

Honestly, I think it's more than a hobby for some people.

For me, it's a release away from family. I don't barhop and carouse around, so, for me, it's not as serious as some others take it.

However, I don't mind people that take it more seriously than I do.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Banned

Pringles's Arena

OVR: 9

well what if you typed out this whole post then at the end when you attempted to post it it told you you were not eligible because you did not have enough posts ? would you be mad because you didnt have the option to express yourself or because you spent all your time then realized nobody ever going to see your words. eather way you did not have a choice and that is why others get mad because they have no choice on other products.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
MVP

poopoop's Arena

OVR: 4

Football most popular sport.
Video games probably near the top of the list in terms of hobbies.

Combined with the fact that you only get "hardcore" people here. Of course the people who go out of their way to register for forums, make posts and read info are going to tend to take things the more seriously. How could someone log thousands of posts on a sports video game message board w/o taking it serious.

I don't even think it necessarily has to do with Madden. You go to any sort of board like this that focuses on one specific topic you'd see the same thing a lot.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #5
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles
well what if you typed out this whole post then at the end when you attempted to post it it told you you were not eligible because you did not have enough posts ? would you be mad because you didnt have the option to express yourself or because you spent all your time then realized nobody ever going to see your words. eather way you did not have a choice and that is why others get mad because they have no choice on other products.
Ok, but its NOT just the exclusive. LONG BEFORE the exclusive the Madden title was always polarizing, and it seemed to be more than gameplay
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #6
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
I understand there's only one choice for the NFL.

That's the explanation.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Rookie

Atomic Martian's Arena

OVR: 5

I have been able to enjoy the last two iterations of madden.

Although I do get frustrated when I think of where the Franchise could be.

I have been playing madden since 1996, I was seven years old at the time. In Middle school my friends and I use to say "imagine what Madden 2013 will be like" never did I think the version that we were playing at the time would have a better franchise mode then what M11 had.
Still I understand that it is a video game. I am 21 years old now and I feel like I have invested in Madden and EA, and I just expect something more.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #8
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
That's the explanation.
Again, I don't accept that. When 2k and Gameday and QB club were around there were still massive game wars... there's more to it than just "they're the only game in town." There has to be. That more is what I'm looking for.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »