Home

Straight from the horse's mouth about commentary in Madden 12

This is a discussion on Straight from the horse's mouth about commentary in Madden 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 16
Re: Straight from the horse's mouth about commentary in Madden 12

I like all their efforts towards the other presentation. Sorry though, but when you show player introductions and neither commentator comments on the key player that is highlighted, then that overlay adds no meaning to the game. Untalked about overlays are as good as not being there if no one discusses it. Does anyone know if they have to redo their lines to implement this new technology? I am just thinking Gus did a lot of lines last year, so I am wondering are they making this a 2 plan process, because watching the videos, I would say 10% of Gus' new lines were new and about 1% of Chris'. We didn't see any of the DPP commentary which comes later in games, so I will still hold out some hope. I am just saying if they added as many lines last year as they did this year, I am not hearing it, and the main problem: 30 pauses in between is still apparent.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #58
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning
to me, very near translates to a patch for '12. very near is not 1+ years from now.

also, he put emphasis on the term very. so it must be a patch for '12 or he just lied. you simply cannot translate that to the meaning of next year or the year after. so you heard it here first, folks -- commentary will receive a patch for '12 and it will be awesome.
Server side patch ?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #59
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Do you remember when the devs were here for Madden 10 development? There were numerous threads asking for colored cleats and others not wanting them because it would take away from them working on gameplay. It was pointed out over and over again that there were several departments working on the game.

Also madden 11, Ian pointed out that alot of the funds for sound went into securing the rights to use songs like "crazy train" and the others so they didn't have the money to upgrade equipment. Madden 12 would see improvements in the technology.

I understand limitations, but last year the added stadium songs, chants, Gus Johnson's complete commentary, game planning coordinator lines and this year they apparently could barely build off that at all?
You claim to "understand" limitations, but then completely disregard the notion in your closing. To answer your question: yes, they could barely build off that at all because they apparently didn't have the time and resources required.

Also, anyone expecting a patch of any kind to "fix" commentary is dreaming. There's no way. Those patches will be used to fix bugs in the current gameplay. Commentary is going to need a full iteration.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #60
Banned

Thinking Out Loud's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Do you remember when the devs were here for Madden 10 development? There were numerous threads asking for colored cleats and others not wanting them because it would take away from them working on gameplay. It was pointed out over and over again that there were several departments working on the game.

Also madden 11, Ian pointed out that alot of the funds for sound went into securing the rights to use songs like "crazy train" and the others so they didn't have the money to upgrade equipment. Madden 12 would see improvements in the technology.

I understand limitations, but last year the added stadium songs, chants, Gus Johnson's complete commentary, game planning coordinator lines and this year they apparently could barely build off that at all?
Like others are saying KJ, unlike past years, we can actually see where investments have been made in quality areas this year. Even though I didn't like how bare bones Madden 11 seemed, at least at that point EA starting giving consumers some honesty about would not be done. That said they would not overhaul franchise until Madden 12 and they kept saying Madden 12 would greatly improve presentation as well, both seem true. I understand that commentary is a huge part of presentation but considering how much work seems to have been put into improving franchise and visual presentation, I am actually excited about what they can do next year by focusing on commentary.

It's not like Madden has ever had stellar commentary, IMO, so I can see how overhauling the commentary wouldn't fit into "the plan" for laying a true foundation in Madden 12. Implementing the system that will provide better commentary and applying it to DPP specific commentary, sounds like a good way to work the initial bugs out, to me.

They did "walk and chew gum at the same time" this year because commentary was not ignored. This year seems to be a good Madden football game but the best thing is they seem to have laid a foundation to deliver one of the best NFL football games, ever, next year.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #61
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
I like all their efforts towards the other presentation. Sorry though, but when you show player introductions and neither commentator comments on the key player that is highlighted, then that overlay adds no meaning to the game. Untalked about overlays are as good as not being there if no one discusses it. Does anyone know if they have to redo their lines to implement this new technology? I am just thinking Gus did a lot of lines last year, so I am wondering are they making this a 2 plan process, because watching the videos, I would say 10% of Gus' new lines were new and about 1% of Chris'. We didn't see any of the DPP commentary which comes later in games, so I will still hold out some hope. I am just saying if they added as many lines last year as they did this year, I am not hearing it, and the main problem: 30 pauses in between is still apparent.
You can hear some of the DPP commentary if you listen closely in this E3 live event they did with Ryan Ferwerda. There is some interactivity between Gus and Cris, but it's still on the old tech system so it still sounds different.

http://live-event.ea.com/e3/chat/madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #62
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
You can hear some of the DPP commentary if you listen closely in this E3 live event they did with Ryan Ferwerda. There is some interactivity between Gus and Cris, but it's still on the old tech system so it still sounds different.

http://live-event.ea.com/e3/chat/madden
Sorry, I still can't hear it. Around what time would you say in the video did you hear it?
Old 06-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #63
Rookie

OVR: 2

At the start, during the coin-toss, you can hear Gus and Chris talk about "finding your own energy on the field" during an away game.

Then, when Romo comes onto the field, Gus talks about Romo as an Eastern Illinios grad who was undrafted.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #64
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I can go into Madden 11 right now and select Play Now - Super Bowl mode. I can take Team A and pit them against Team B. I can super sim into the 4th quarter and drive down to make the late game winning TD or interception... and the audio will be boring with large gaps of silence. I know, because I have done that before, on several occasions, and that is what I got each time. From what I have read, it appears the same will be true for Madden 12.

When EA can make Gus Johnson boring, you know they are not doing a good job in the audio department.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »