Home

Straight from the horse's mouth about commentary in Madden 12

This is a discussion on Straight from the horse's mouth about commentary in Madden 12 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Straight from the horse's mouth about commentary in Madden 12

At 9:56, Gus and Chris talk; Chris says that the corner should play his receiver a bit more aggressively.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #66
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking Out Loud
Like others are saying KJ, unlike past years, we can actually see where investments have been made in quality areas this year. Even though I didn't like how bare bones Madden 11 seemed, at least at that point EA starting giving consumers some honesty about would not be done. That said they would not overhaul franchise until Madden 12 and they kept saying Madden 12 would greatly improve presentation as well, both seem true. I understand that commentary is a huge part of presentation but considering how much work seems to have been put into improving franchise and visual presentation, I am actually excited about what they can do next year by focusing on commentary.

It's not like Madden has ever had stellar commentary, IMO, so I can see how overhauling the commentary wouldn't fit into "the plan" for laying a true foundation in Madden 12. Implementing the system that will provide better commentary and applying it to DPP specific commentary, sounds like a good way to work the initial bugs out, to me.

They did "walk and chew gum at the same time" this year because commentary was not ignored. This year seems to be a good Madden football game but the best thing is they seem to have laid a foundation to deliver one of the best NFL football games, ever, next year.
No doubt, you can see improvements in every area of Madden 12 on the vids...except commentary. I have 2 problems with that.

First, last year was Gus's first year and he sounded patched in. Chris has the exact lines he always had, including calling Gus "Tom". It was an obvious and often talked about flaw in last years game so I would expect it to recieve some attention.

Second, as I said previously, Ian came on here after 11 dropped and explained how they spent the sound funds on securing rights to the songs. The equipment needed to improve the commentary was being left out until this year.

Knowing those 2 things, I expected commentary to recieve attention this year. As good as the game looks, nothing will make the game feel stale faster than hearing Gus say the same things as last year while Collinsworth chimes in with the same lines he has had for 4 years now.

The only thing more irritating to hear the moment I pop in Madden 12 will be this same damn song.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:14 PM   #67
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
No doubt, you can see improvements in every area of Madden 12 on the vids...except commentary. I have 2 problems with that.

First, last year was Gus's first year and he sounded patched in. Chris has the exact lines he always had, including calling Gus "Tom". It was an obvious and often talked about flaw in last years game so I would expect it to recieve some attention.

Second, as I said previously, Ian came on here after 11 dropped and explained how they spent the sound funds on securing rights to the songs. The equipment needed to improve the commentary was being left out until this year.

Knowing those 2 things, I expected commentary to recieve attention this year. As good as the game looks, nothing will make the game feel stale faster than hearing Gus say the same things as last year while Collinsworth chimes in with the same lines he has had for 4 years now.

The only thing more irritating to hear the moment I pop in Madden 12 will be this same damn song.
Assumptions assumptions. You care so much about commentary. I turn it off regardless, ever since Madden 2003. You expected commentary to receive attention, and it did. Just not on the level you were anticipating. This is a result of your own conceived reality, not an expectation that was set by EA, Ian, etc. You keep speaking as if your point of view is a social standard.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #68
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos86
Assumptions assumptions. You care so much about commentary. I turn it off regardless, ever since Madden 2003. You expected commentary to receive attention, and it did. Just not on the level you were anticipating. This is a result of your own conceived reality, not an expectation that was set by EA, Ian, etc. You keep speaking as if your point of view is a social standard.
Why are you even posting in a thread discussing commentary if you've haven't used it since John Madden himself was doing it?

The commentary is important to me which is I am posting my thoughts in this thread. Imo, it sounds almost unchanged. That is my point of view. Nothing I posted suggests of anyone's standard but my own. I'm not even sure the point you are trying to make with that statement.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #69
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Why are you even posting in a thread discussing commentary if you've haven't used it since John Madden himself was doing it?

The commentary is important to me which is I am posting my thoughts in this thread. Imo, it sounds almost unchanged. That is my point of view. Nothing I posted suggests of anyone's standard but my own. I'm not even sure the point you are trying to make with that statement.
As someone who has been involved software development, I understand the process of developing something like Madden. Just because I don't listen to the commentary doesn't mean I don't have constructive feed back. Moreover, everything I've commented on has been regarding expectations, process, and resources.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #70
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
ALOT of people care about commentary,and with good reason. It's all about authenticity...with the vids that have been shown so far,the game seems to be headed in a strong direction...BUT what's the fastest way to bring all the advancements crashing down??...that's right commentary....especially those that enjoy playing offline franchises.
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 06-10-2011, 04:29 PM   #71
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Just because I don't listen to the commentary doesn't mean I don't have constructive feed back. Moreover, everything I've commented on has been regarding expectations, process, and resources.
So...flaming him is now considered "constructive"????
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #72
Orange and Blue!

Broncos86's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowherPower
So...flaming him is now considered "constructive"????
You and I have a differing opinions of flaming someone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »