Home

How about letter ratings?

This is a discussion on How about letter ratings? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 9
Post How about letter ratings?

Let me clarify this more.

The point of the idea is to like have a feel of the players, not have an exact number.

Chris Johnson runs a 4.24 thats an A+ in speed. (that's outstanding in football). His Elusiveness is an A, so yea with those 2 you'd say oh he's a great running back but he has his flaws. Can he truck people? maybe but thats least likely so D+ trucking, Power C. We get it, he's a speed back. Its just the number system in a nutshell as if you are a scout in real life.

I'd give him an A. Yes I know he ran for 2,000 but is he really a complete running back? no, he just uses his speed in a phenomenal way. Jamal Lewis ran for 2000 as well but was he fast? no way, just a big power back (he was my fav player). So based off of that, would they both be a 99? I dont think so. Jamal Lewis was all power and got it done but definately not a complete RB, what I mean is having the speed,power,and moves (Complete).

Im saying these ratings are a little too loosely thrown around, its like they jack them up rediculously because they had a good season. Like Chris has a 77 truck rating, thats a little too decent of a truck rating for a guy who doesn't truck. Letter ratings exist anyway so dont act like this is new or so drastically different that you cant live with it.

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are both great QB's but does one really deserve a 99 compared to his 98? Its better to say both are an A, rather than a number that really doesn't show a difference. They are both good but why is his rating 1 less than his when they can be catergorized with an A.

P.S. this was edited because I explained it poorly on my old version of it so hopefully you understand more.

Last edited by xbreezex; 06-12-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: clarity
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #2
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: How about letter ratings?

I'd enjoy seeing letter ratings like you see in NBA 2K11. To me it can be somewhat considered an "eye" rating. What I mean by that, is that if you watch players on tape (say P Manning for example), you can see he throws hard and is accurate. But I don't care how much tape you watch, I can't say that P Manning is 1 point higher accurate then Brady and 1 point lower then whoever by watching tape or seeing them in person.

Just by going to letter ratings you get a sense of how good a person is in the game without getting too much info. An A in throw power would say they can put some zip on the ball, but you don't know exactly how much it is, could be in the 92-96 range, but at least you don't know exactly, without a doubt, if someone is absolutely better then another by simply looking at ratings.

I'd still love to see (well... not see) hidden ratings in Madden, but at least hiding the exact numeral value will help make the game funner in a sense you don't just have to sort through ratings to see who is numerically better then someone else.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1
Why should brady be rated lower because his recievers can't get off the line? 99 isn perfect! 100 would be perfect

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
I'd enjoy seeing letter ratings like you see in NBA 2K11. To me it can be somewhat considered an "eye" rating. What I mean by that, is that if you watch players on tape (say P Manning for example), you can see he throws hard and is accurate. But I don't care how much tape you watch, I can't say that P Manning is 1 point higher accurate then Brady and 1 point lower then whoever by watching tape or seeing them in person.

Just by going to letter ratings you get a sense of how good a person is in the game without getting too much info. An A in throw power would say they can put some zip on the ball, but you don't know exactly how much it is, could be in the 92-96 range, but at least you don't know exactly, without a doubt, if someone is absolutely better then another by simply looking at ratings.

I'd still love to see (well... not see) hidden ratings in Madden, but at least hiding the exact numeral value will help make the game funner in a sense you don't just have to sort through ratings to see who is numerically better then someone else.

yessir, im glad you explained it much better then i can. that would make franchise mode great because as you said, its not numbered. Just a sense of what he can do as far as the letters go.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyisastud
Why should brady be rated lower because his recievers can't get off the line? 99 isn perfect! 100 would be perfect

Yeah, plus a vet qb would be able to see that the db's are lined up to jam the receivers and audible out of any quick pass play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbreezex
yessir, im glad you explained it much better then i can. that would make franchise mode great because as you said, its not numbered. Just a sense of what he can do as far as the letters go.
Yeah, I'm all for getting rid of the numbers! Heck, this year in Madden my first franchise (cupcake team to get used to the mode) I'm going to basically prevent myself from looking at ratings when building the team and playing. Hopefully with the new player roles and features I'll be able to weigh roles and past season stats/core attributes (40 time etc.) and build a team without having to discriminate due to the ratings. I just hate looking at ratings and seeing that player A is no doubt better then player B.

And don't let me get into contracts with players lol, I hate how guys in the 80's with 0 playing time cost more then others in the 70's with years of experience... make free agency lame because you have to go after ratings and not actual experience when paying top dollar.

Last edited by TMJOHNS18; 06-10-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
MVP

shnuskis's Arena

OVR: 17

Then people would get upset because player A got an A- and player B got an A when underneath the numbers only differed by 1 point(94 and 95).

I'm not really for or against letters vs numbers but it is all how you look at it. If you see Brady and Manning with 99 and 97 Overall then they are both A's. Don't read so much into one point here and one point there. Look at the bigger differences like 95 vs 85.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyisastud

sigh, pats fan.

here goes, what i am saying is that the team can reflect on a player's ability. If Tom Brady's offense is based off of short passing and that is taken away. how else can he be affective? He cant run, he's straight up pocket QB. Im not saying to lower his arm or anything, this is why the letters are perfect. Also with 99 you can call that perfect so its no arguement there. With an A+ which in my system no one would really have, it'll be fair.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm not a fan of all ratings being letters like you describe. What I would like is for overall to not be shown (at least in franchise mode) - if the game showed us the ratings relevant to each position in a more user friendly way (like madden 08 on the PC) this would be a fantastic feature imo.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »