Home

Three aspects of gameplay that have issues

This is a discussion on Three aspects of gameplay that have issues within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Rookie

89OneHanded's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Three aspects of gameplay that have issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
(I recognize that the Madden 12 E3 videos were an alpha build)

Defensive Tackles vs Guards/Centers:
When I see a 4-3 defense, I immediately look at the DT's first and this still bothers me to no end. If a DT beats his man, and it looks like he has a straight open shot to the QB he will almost stop, turn and be blocked by a different OL. In every video I've watched, I look for this and it happens every time. I mean the other OL could be completely out of position, but the DT somehow finds him and ends up getting blocked. It looks very awkward.

I despise this too. I've wanted them to completely revamp the trenches for a couple years now. Show physics, show how strength and size affects the matchups, show speed ends trying to get upfield in contain and then fight their way back to the QB. Show double teams! Momentum, size, speed, strength...nope, all we get is pre-packaged animations that look like o-linemen very much enjoy giving bear hugs.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Looks very similar to some of the issue I've pointed out so far:

Besides passing still being broken and the complete lack of procedural awareness (players still react on the fly to everything, even if they've got the back to the action), I especially noticed these three things when watching the e3 videos:

One, player momentum when running the ball still looks broken as the OP points out. From the gameplay videos it seems that 90 degree, 1 yard turns at high speed that were possible in Madden 11 are still in the game
Two, player momentum in interior OL/DL interactions looks broken, again as the OP points out. It looks like defenders aren't really trying to get to the QB, but appear to be more likely to stop their forward momentum and engage with the linemen
Three, outside rushers seems to get caught in blocking animations. Many of the e3 videos show QBs dropping back 15-20 yards, because the outside rushers are being locked into some sort of blocking/pushing animation with the tackles, even though the DEs, OLBs has an open shot at the QB.

I'm still looking forward to the demo, but my expectations are about as low as they can get.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #11
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
Looks very similar to some of the issue I've pointed out so far:

Besides passing still being broken and the complete lack of procedural awareness (players still react on the fly to everything, even if they've got the back to the action), I especially noticed these three things when watching the e3 videos:
I agree with this. The head tracking really needs to be worked on. Players need to appear to be more aware instead of just reacting. You see defenders with their back turned all the time in Madden. Even receivers don't look back until the last second most of the time. Probably why some of the catch animations look awkward as well, not to mention the bad trajectories.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
MVP

fugazi's Arena

OVR: 15

watched some previews...and aside from better graphical resolution, the game on the field looks terribly similar to the last Madden I owned...05....

the lack of gang-tackling seems to be the biggest part of this.

it doesn;t seem like much has been done on the field to evolve the product.

the franchise changes might still lead me to buy this, though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »