Home

Hardest team to rebuild?

This is a discussion on Hardest team to rebuild? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Hardest team to rebuild?

No matter what your view on Cam Newton in real life is, when we are talking about Madden Carolina is far away from the toughest team to rebuild. Cam Newton will have A potential and his skill set translates very well to Madden. The Panthers also have tons of cap room and have cut almost every player over 30 except for steve smith and their kickers. So in Madden Carolina is a young team with talented running backs, wide receivers, a solid offensive line, and a defense with a couple solid pieces. Also with the cap room they have it will be easy to fill in the missing pieces.

Now if we are talking real life it all depends on Newton and the Defensive Line specifically tackles, everywhere else they have solid while not necessary explosive players. Its not a complete rebuilding job by any means.

Comparing Newton to Jamarcus Russell or Akili Smith or already proclaiming Jimmy Clausen will have a better career is just asinine. Cam Newton hasn't played a down in the NFL, no one knows what he is going to do. What we do know is he has considerably more talent and Athleticism than Jimmy Clausen does. Also he has been working his tail off something Jamarcus Russell was never known for and has had rave reviews from everyone he has worked with, especially in grasping the playbook which was Akili's major issue. Clausens problems other than a marginal arm is that his teammates never seemed to like him, he was constantly sitting on the bench by himself looking completely pathetic. While Newton may never develop no one knows, the intense skepticism he brings never seems to surprise me. He can deal with adversity shown by the drama that surrounded him all year and still he was able to lead his team to an undefeated record, and right when everything was the craziest he lead an unbelievable comeback against the defending national champions. This guy has done nothing but win but people will always have to cut him down.

Watch the SEC championship game and tell me he doesn't progress through his reads.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 AM   #74
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

I'd go with the Bills simply because even if you do build them up you still have the Pats and Jets 4 times a year and if you don't win the division you have to fight off one of them plus Steelers/Ravens for last wildcard spot.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #75
Rookie

hkwforAUTigers's Arena

OVR: 1

IMO Cam Newton is a winner above all else.... everywhere he has gone he has risen to the talent around him and produced. He will succeed...

Like someone said before, watch the SEC Championship game, or simply look at his progression throughout the season: as offensive coordinater Gus Malzahn said "he never makes the same mistake twice". Cam Newton's learning curve is astronaumical and what makes him so great.
First player to ever win the Heisman in his first year at a school.... like I said learning curve.
As for Madden... I cannot wait!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #76
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

OVR: 11

I wonder what the excuses the Cam Newton apologists will have in four years when he's failed to amount to anything...

Hardest team to rebuild in Madden? I'm torn between Buffalo (weep) or Oakland. I was doing a rebuilding project with the Cardinals in '11, but they're not far from success. Bring in a 85+ rated QB and shore up the defense. With the addition of Ryan Williams at halfback, the offense is alive again.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #77
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alifeincomplete
Hardest team to rebuild in Madden? I'm torn between Buffalo (weep) or Oakland. I was doing a rebuilding project with the Cardinals in '11, but they're not far from success. Bring in a 85+ rated QB and shore up the defense. With the addition of Ryan Williams at halfback, the offense is alive again.
Bills are gonna be tough, but the Cards were among the toughest teams in 11 IMO. Nothing at QB, nothing at Oline, not much at LB (save for Washinton who develops into a decent ILB within a couple year) and nothing at CB save for DRC. Oh and nothing at TE either.

That said, with the draft being sooooo easy in 11, there simply wasn't a team that was really hard to rebuild. If I can easily draft 9-10 A potential rookies a year, there is no team in the NFL more than 2 years away from being a contender.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #78
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Here's my problem with the Cam Newton is likely a bust thing. Every excuse for him being a bust from the detractors has been addresses or proven false.

Here's another subject to ponder. Since 2000, Carolina has never selected a 1st round draft bust.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
Here's my problem with the Cam Newton is likely a bust thing. Every excuse for him being a bust from the detractors has been addresses or proven false.

Here's another subject to ponder. Since 2000, Carolina has never selected a 1st round draft bust.
Who cares about past picks? That doesn't mean anything about Cam's success. Sure, Carolina has done a good job picking players in the 1st round, but that could turn around very easily.

Cam, to me, just hasn't shown the skills to be an NFL QB. Watching him play in college, I was more impressed with his running skills than his passing skills. The only QB in the NFL you can compare Cam to is Mike Vick and Cam isn't near as big a threat IMO.

I think most of Cam's success in college was because of the system he was in and the competition faced. Going into the NFL everything will be more complicated for him and he won't be in an offense like at Auburn, it just wouldn't work in the NFL.

He may very well be a great QB and have a great career, but I just don't see that happening. He was good in college, deserved all the money he was given performance wise , but the NFL is different and I don't see him doing much.

― Plato
Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #80
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

I take exception for sure with your level of competition statement. The guy played in the SEC, which is the closest competition to the NFL you can possibly get based on the NFL talent they put into the league every year.

Is it the NFL? Certainly not, but it's the best practice he can get.

I still think he's throwing ability is under-rated. He is by no means perfect, but he isn't a bad passer either. The biggest problem with his game will be transitioning to working under center instead of out of the gun.

For the most part his mechanics are good, which is a big help. He does need to make some adjustments, which will help his accuracy on comeback routes, and such things.

I don't really see the validation in him not making the reads. I saw the 1 read and run thing go down a few times, but not nearly as prevelant as is being said.

You also have to consider what a read is for Newton. You can look at reads as reading a single defender or a portion of the field. Some QBs are only going to be able to read that one defender, while others are going to be read the whole field, like Peyton Manning. Yes there are reads on each defender, or groups of defenders in that zone the QB can see, but certain players are going to be able to piece all of that together, while others aren't. So we don't know for now what that is for Newton.

I honestly think Newton has all of it mentally. He's a leader, and he picks up on things very quickly, like our play book. So the question is going to be if he can makes the reads on game-day and then make those passes into tight windows.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »