Home

Six things you see on Sunday but not in Madden.

This is a discussion on Six things you see on Sunday but not in Madden. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Six things you see on Sunday but not in Madden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I know what you meant, they came on the field for measurement in 11, maybe 3 or 4 times.
Apologies, my mistake. I mainly play online and they aren't featured there.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #34
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

1. Late hits by the cpu. You never see the cpu do a late hit on the QB and you never get penalized for hitting a guy that is already out of bounds.

2. Blocked punts and FGs. I never EVER had my punt or FG blocked by the cpu. And I never got close to blocking the cpu kicks as well.

And before somebody pulls the, "well if you sub in a fast guy on the end and slide him a little over in this direction before the snap" cheese BS, I want it done in a realistic way.

3. CPU returning kick offs and punt returns back for a TD. Never seen the cpu ever get more then 5 yards on a PR or more then 15 yards on a kick off.

And before somebody says. "well on my sliders blah blah blah". Get real, there isn't a slider set on this site I haven't played 6 games with. I tried them all and haven't seen it.

4. Wrap tackle around the waist and legs. Currently the only tackles you ever see is either a hit stick or a one handed pulling the jersey and flinging you to the ground.

I want to see TRUE wrap tackles.

5. Defenders finishing off tackles. Not just when they are standing either, but also when they are on the ground or the ball carrier is stumbling. In all the Madden 12 and NCAA 12 videos, I still seen many situations when defenders would pull up and stop, instead of finishing off the tackle.

6. Big players dragging smaller players. If I have Brandon Jacobs or a big FB, I should be dragging DB's and anybody else that I out weigh. Weight and strength should actually matter.

No way should a 190 pound DB should be able to solo tackle a 240 pound RB or FB up high. If they aim for the legs that is one thing, but tackling up high solo ? No way, not realistic at all.

7. Power runners should use stiff arm way more and shouldn't juke.

8. Players should stretch the ball out for a TD or 1st down.

9. Better WR/DB jostling for position interaction when they are running down the field.

10. Better jump ball interaction on fade routes.

11. Defensive holding...

12. Mid air collision when somebody dives over the top of the goal line. The way it is now, it is uncontested and pretty much an automatic TD.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #35
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Let's just start with the basics here.

1. Penalties - It's the only NFL licensed game, there is no excuse for it not to have all of the real penalties of the NFL. Ineligible man downfield, illegal touching, correct intentional grounding, PI, illegal contact and illegal forward pass. This one is a massive problem area for me. This always brings Madden's quality rating down several notches for me every year.
The problem with adding penalties (esepcially ones committed by the AI), fumbled snaps, etc is that Madden games aren't the same length as real ones. Having one drive crippled by a dumb penalty hurts enough in a full-length NFL game where you get the ball 10+ times or so. But when you only get it 6 times the effect is very magnified and it doesn't make for a good gaming experience. If you want to add in that stuff, it has to be based upon some mechanic that the user controls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rep
5. Intentional grounding penalties. These are clearly defined in the rulebook but completely ignored in Madden. It’s frustrating to hit the quarterback see the ball float away nowhere near anyone and it’s never called.
Actually the game is accurate in its intent, just the result is strange. Because when the ball is thrown to a receiver, but only gets knocked into another direction because the QB is hit while he throws, it's not Intentional Grounding in the NFL.

The main difference is that this almost NEVER happens in reality, because QBs are trained to either get it off before contact or tuck it and take the sack because you don't want to risk a turnover, while it happens constantly in Madden because they can't model the pass rush correctly so QBs constantly throw the ball while being hit, resulting in the ball flying into some completely different direction, and additionally, you hardly ever throw the ball away in Madden, you always go for a receiver. But in the end, if it happened in reality like it happens in Madden, strictly going by the rules, it would not be Intentional Grounding.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #37
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
The problem with adding penalties (esepcially ones committed by the AI), fumbled snaps, etc is that Madden games aren't the same length as real ones. Having one drive crippled by a dumb penalty hurts enough in a full-length NFL game where you get the ball 10+ times or so. But when you only get it 6 times the effect is very magnified and it doesn't make for a good gaming experience. If you want to add in that stuff, it has to be based upon some mechanic that the user controls.
I agree with having more penalties and with higher freequency, but they should been in relation to the game time chosen..Also, dont forget penalties can help you team as well
Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
It's true and it raises the question, what do we mean by true sim. If it was a realistic experience most offenses in online games should barely achieve 200 yards and you don't get many like that.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
The problem with adding penalties (esepcially ones committed by the AI), fumbled snaps, etc is that Madden games aren't the same length as real ones.
They are if you want them to. Not in literal length but you can easily get an accurate number of snaps per game. I play on 12 minute per quarter and get around 120 offensive snaps a game, +/-10%, which is very close to what you get in the NFL.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #40
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
I agree with having more penalties and with higher freequency, but they should been in relation to the game time chosen..Also, dont forget penalties can help you team as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDelta
They are if you want them to. Not in literal length but you can easily get an accurate number of snaps per game. I play on 12 minute per quarter and get around 120 offensive snaps a game, +/-10%, which is very close to what you get in the NFL.
I almost exclusively play user v. user games, so I don't have the freedom to edit the game to tune out (or add in) stuff like that. I could certainly get behind an offline "hardcore" mode for those who want to bang out the realistic length games, but it's not really an option for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rep
It's true and it raises the question, what do we mean by true sim. If it was a realistic experience most offenses in online games should barely achieve 200 yards and you don't get many like that.
A lot of the slider sets go for that effect and its fine. But as I said above, I mostly play online - which by nature is balanced towards the offense to offer roughly the same amount of big plays in a shorter game. It's the constant struggle between sim and fun.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »