Home

QB speed seem pretty high.

This is a discussion on QB speed seem pretty high. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
Rookie

Automatik's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: QB speed seem pretty high.

@ King ya that's thats what I mentioned at the start of the thread but it seems way too high for QBs.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #18
Banned

BestServedCold's Arena

OVR: 1

Big Ben looks like Michael Vick when he runs in 12
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
For sure, Qb speed needs to be toned down

Specifically the 50 mph sideways sliding out of the pocket when the qb is scanning the field....
That will never be fixed. You'd have to actually have pockets and blocking for people to stay in the pocket. Also, the receivers never get open properly.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
Contain assigns neuter the pass rush because the two edge rushers sprint out toward the sidelines. That leaves only two men rushing and the QB has all day to throw. That's not how defenses contain QBs in reality. They contain QBs by always have having someone coming off the edge. Since you haven't played any games other than Madden, you're not aware that the contain assignments only exists in Madden, and they merely serve as a band-aid for a problem that has only existed in Madden.

The problem has always been two fold: the edge rushers don't get up the field
like they're supposed to, and QB mechanics aren't respected.
LiquorLogic,

If you're assuming that my post is referencing contain assignments or stock defenses as the only methods to keeping a QB from scrambling, you'd be looking at only 1/11th of the picture.

Contain rushers will actually rush the QB, they just step outside before heading up field. Once they turn up field they will cutoff pursuit if the QB crosses the opposite hash. In effect, they rush half the field while attempting to maintain outside leverage. While there is some pressure drawback, when used in conjunction with blitzing defenders spacing is created that widens offensive linemen and creates rush lanes.

In my earlier post, I mentioned that using the assignments to stop a scrambling QB as the goal. I'm not sure how playing or not playing other football games is relevant to achieving that goal. Having intimate experience with 2K, Backbreaker, or even real football experience means NOTHING in Madden unless the players use the assignments in Madden to compete at Madden. So while I personally don't think about other games, I realize that my Madden knowledge would mean nothing should I choose to play them...

No one has claimed that all we need is a contain assignment. You can't stop a scrambling QB with just one guy. It takes several. Spy, blitz, contain, zone, man, stunts, etc may all be necessary depending on how your opponent uses his QB. Our ability to use the assignments provided to compensate for the threat is all that matters... The rest is merely a distraction from the goal, which is:

How do we stop QB's from scrambling - ON MADDEN?

To which I would add: Some stock plays can help, but understanding the assignments works to augment any stock play's strengths.

Later
Old 06-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #21
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Again, like it's been said in many other threads.. they seem fast because it's on Pro. Of course all the players are going to seem faster because it's on Pro and that's meant to almost never let the human lose.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke6
I respect your opinions and all, but I shouldnt have to use a stellar top 5-10 team to do this. Its apparent on how people no the ins and outs of madden by now to know when you are in contain due to the QB they're using and take advantage of it from there. Most of these guys wont even look to see if anyone is open and just would take off running to get those quick yards at will.

Most plays will play out to where they would have everyone running slants or crossing routes just to get you make your MLB bite and then take off running, especially if you're in man coverage.

So you can kinda miss me with that "lets talk about evolving how to use contain defense when we all know its doesnt work right.

So how about a way to help the devs improve contain and make it more realistic and get QB speed and shuffle speeds where they should be?
You mentioned a skill aspect in your first graph that I'd like to address before moving to the devs issue in the last question.

Knowing that someone is in contain requires that a person be able to process several pieces of information at once. That's a skill that shouldn't be overlooked. We agree. Guys with highly developed recognition skills will take off and run when they see players using STOCK PLAYS to contain them. Especially the most basic stock plays.

Case in point: Yesterday, I played someone who used the technique you mention (all slants/QB roll). He hung a quick 14 points on me on his first two possessions. After the half, he didn't earn another yard with that technique and threw 3 INT (one taken in for a score). Final score 21-17. This skill to recognize another players MO and take it away from them using the assignments available on Madden is not something EA devs can change.

Back to your devs question... If Madden 12 were perfect in every way technique wise, there would still be ways to attack those techniques. If the contain worked exactly like one person wants it, someone else would simply attack them in another way to take advantage of the new technique. If the Contain defense did anything other than what it does, it would merely be susceptible to something that it works against now. And vice versa.

Even if every QB on this game ran and transitioned exactly like they do in real life, the Madden community is packed with thousands of players that have not developed their play recognition skills NOR the familiarity with defensive assignments that would allow them to capitalize on those skills.

If the game were 100% perfect - the players abilities would still be imperfect. So to respond to your thought that a contain assignment would just let the QB run inside for a small gain. Yes! But there are also 10 other guys on the field. How we use them is just as important as the one guy in contain.

Later
Old 06-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 25

Guys you are seeing a build that is months old. And Its on pro. This is way before they real tuning begins.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #24
All Star

jpdavis82's Arena

OVR: 21

On this weeks edition of the Madden Roundtable show the guys that were at E3 (Madscientist, Coach Ruckus, Shopmaster, D-Hiatus, etc...) were talking about this specific issue and they said they didn't see this being an issue at all when they played and that the qbs speed felt right. They said it is a little faster than 11 but not as fast as Madden 10. None of them said that it was a problem and they said the game plays smooth and feels like "real football".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »